Recent

Author Topic: There is a lot of interest in Lazarus these days after Kylix  (Read 13680 times)

Anonymous

There is a lot of interest in Lazarus these days after Kylix
« on: November 07, 2003, 11:54:14 pm »
There is a lot of interest in Lazarus it seems after Borland abandoning Kylix undefinitely. Check out the Borland Newsgroups and this:

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/11/07/0217251.shtml?tid=106&tid=126&tid=156&tid=185

Now, we just need some major features into Freepascal/Lazarus to be able to do multi-tier db applications, Apache dso modules, data aware components, etc.

kmoffat

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 12:46:38 am »
test reply. can't seem to post from mozilla.

kmoffat

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 12:47:36 am »
ah, now it works. I'm hoping kylix is not dead. Maybe if enough interest is shown? Who knows.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 07:54:03 am »
Unfortunately, Borland officially said at BorCon that they are not planning to update Kylix until at least 2005 if ever. They say that they provide an alternative in C++BuilderX. The only problem is that C++BuilderX is C++ and not Delphi.

And since all Kylix versions have tons of unfixed bugs despite of the bug reports to Borland, it is a pain sometimes to develop in Kylix because a lot of time is spent circumventing and fixing the problems. Nobody understands why Borland did not release any official bug fix updates to any of the Kylix versions.

kmoffat

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 05:04:14 pm »
I would guess they made very little money on kylix and decided to change their focus. Very dissappointing.

bracara

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 09:37:35 am »
Quote from: "kmoffat"
I would guess they made very little money on kylix and decided to change their focus. Very dissappointing.
I expect that is true: most advanced Linux programmers appear to breathe C++ .

However, many amateur Delphi programmers like myself must have been disappointed by Kylix and its deployment issues.

I had another try at Kylix this weekend after installing Mandrake 9.2 and it was while searching the newsgroups for solutions that I discovered Lazarus.  At the moment I'm on cloud 9 at being able to compile an app that will just click and run. So far Lazarus is what I expected Kylix to be, except for the lack of Delphi-style help, which is understandable at this stage in the project.

alexej

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 03:21:46 am »

I had another try at Kylix this weekend after installing Mandrake 9.2 and it was while searching the newsgroups for solutions that I discovered Lazarus.

Well something similar happened to me  :mrgreen: I just bought Linux Format magazine and there was Lazarus (and Mandrake 9.2) on DVD.

bracara

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 12:10:49 pm »
Well something similar happened to me  I just bought Linux Format magazine and there was Lazarus (and Mandrake 9.2) on DVD

Huh??!! You mean Lazarus is on that DVD as well?! I suppose I should have guessed - it seems to be becoming normal that I download software and then find it on the LXF DVD the following week  :roll:

chris.kirkpatrick

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 03:05:29 pm »
I have been watching both Kylix and Lazarus/FreePascal over the last couple of years.  

I used Kylix quite a bit, but found it largely inflexible and of course the compiler development was all done in-house by Borland, with the next version produced like a rabbit out of the hat at infrequent intervals.

Contrast this to the L/FPC project, which two years ago was in its infancy, with only the most primitive IDE, but has developed with the efforts of many developers, in a highly transparent way, and is now at nearly the state that Kylix was at two years ago (and didn't change very much except for the addition of the C++ compiler);  L/FPC is now a very usable system, and you can watch it develop.

This is a tribute to the open software method of development:  to my mind, this is the only sensible way to do development, with the stimulus of lots of disparate individuals all contributing in an open and free way to the project.  I am very encouraged.

Success to the open developers!

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 11:44:57 pm »
Yup, closed source sux.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018