Forum > General

CT slope

(1/12) > >>

sam707:
Hello friends, ennemies, shrimps, bicycles and etcetera. I decided today to remove the big bad lazarus "fork" known as codetyphon from my computers. I changed my profile signature (see at bottom) which included so far the ct version i used. Actually I'm on hollidays, so only 2 computers are concerned. When back home, many more!

reasons?

- since version 1.8, Lazarus surprises me in a cool way, with its online package manager. I installed ct fork, also because it had numerous -'also forked'- libraries delivered

- I am a big bad old wolf BUT I DO respect the original author's sweat (even if some are my 'ennemies' on forums! and I always put their names in about boxes (never remove their owned comments from their sources), instead of hidding them bad as the ct fork does (see articles pointed here https://jonlennartaasenden.wordpress.com/tag/codetyphon/)

- with the cool fpcupdeluxe tool I can work with the very very latest versions of laz+fpc (often dayly buits on fixes branch) and even manage cross-compiling in a cool way

- I'm upset against ct fork's disrespect of the authors who they copy (legal or not there is a so called moral comportment that the fork pee on, with no reason

- I do not want to write and publish some of my works if the underlying 3rd party licenses are in an opaque fog that could bring me troubles in laws (ct orca is firemonkey base or something, and if Delphi decides to shoot one day, I bet all guys using orca are going to loose their shirts, just an example among others)

SO I'm BACK to Lazarus and Lazarus ONLY it is now enough mature and clean for my purpose... and fully compliant with my licensing Respect!

My Moral says "it's not because it's free that you've the right to appropriate, forkers!" even more, "as it"s free, IT DESERVES Respect, and mentioning of the original authors is the minimal thing you MUST do"

Regards!

Finally, I invite the ct fork's users to try fpcupdeluxe and online packages manager, I think they'll get almost the same experience, but with no dangerous blurred licensing fog

Big bad old Sam707.

Thaddy:
Although I still distrust CT, I have accepted Juha's explanation that the authors of CT contribute back to FPC.
I still don't use it anymore because;
1: I can build (cross-) compilers from source myself. That's not rocket science.
2: incompatibilities were introduced. That is a REAL problem.
The 3th one: the license compliance I consider no longer an issue at the moment.

But I still not use it (although I try from time to time). Same reason goes for NewPascal, btw, but I am testing that as far as it is possible w/o an accessible trunk. FWIW NewPascal tries to give everything back, but the developers of Newpascal have no patience nor a clue about how to maintain a language properly over time(well, a bit... O:-)  That includes they also can't document. At Al: if you fork, fork the documentation and keep it up to date.l)

RAW:
For someone outside the "CIRCLE" it's hard to understand what exactly the difference is between LAZARUS and NEWPASCAL.

--- Quote ---NewPascal offers a ready-to-be-used and up-to-date FPC and Lazarus environment.

--- End quote ---
That's exactly what LAZARUS offers too.... I guess...  :D

--- Quote ---..but with latest features on main Linux/Windows targets.

--- End quote ---
Hmmm, yeah... sounds very nice, but what exactly is the difference compared to LAZARUS...  maybe some examples are a good idea to let ordinary people understand what's going on...  :)

sam707:
I agree with both @Thaddy and @Raw

plus the fact that newpascal supports less platfarms than fpc... I don't have a clue why, so forget about me looking at its 'restrictive' updates

Prefer talk directly to god than one of his saints!

Bye bye forkland

JuhaManninen:

--- Quote from: RAW on August 19, 2017, 09:00:50 pm ---For someone outside the "CIRCLE" it's hard to understand what exactly the difference is between LAZARUS and NEWPASCAL.

--- End quote ---
Why don't you look yourself? There is a web page:
  http://newpascal.org/
It is about providing binaries for Maciej's latest compiler features + mORMot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version