Recent

Author Topic: some free pascal executables seem to trigger virusscanners as false positives  (Read 1773 times)

RickD

Hello everybody,

Lately some of my self made free pascal executables seem to trigger several virusscanners as false positives (some command line tools and some full screen graphic applications using the sdl library). Does anybody else have had this problem, and if so how can this be avoided?

It's very annoying because if you run it at somebody elses computer and it triggers an alert, several people don't want it there anymore, even though it's perfectly safe.

Best regards,
Rick

Phil

Lately some of my self made free pascal executables seem to trigger several virusscanners as false positives (some command line tools and some full screen graphic applications using the sdl library). Does anybody else have had this problem, and if so how can this be avoided?

I've seen this before with other tools, although not with FPC.

Since you probably can't disable or remove the virus checker on the other computers, the only solution is to report it to the maker of the virus checking software. This usually requires that someone, somewhere within your organization (ideally the braniacs in IT who chose that virus checking product) submit the executable binary to the company. Since users in many settings get virus signature updates regularly, eventually the fix will get pushed out and the problem will go away.

J-G

I had this quite a lot last year (only started using FPC/Laz Last August) and did a 'false positive report' a few times (to AVAST) but I haven't had the problem recently. I'm assuming that they now have 'my' signature.
FPC 3.0.0 - Lazarus 1.6 &
FPC 3.2.2  - Lazarus 2.2.0 
Win 7 Ult 64

eric

You can check your executable on a large number of virus checkers before making it available to users by uploading it here: https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload . Then if it fails on just one or two of the scanners you can submit it directly to them to get the false positive corrected.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018