Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus Release Candidate 4 of 1.8 (includes RC1 of fpc 3.0.4)  (Read 76856 times)

BIT

Re: Lazarus Release Candidate 4 of 1.8 (includes RC1 of fpc 3.0.4)
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2017, 06:10:14 pm »
Russian text...
This is an international site, please write in English, for example, use online translators.
This problem has already been reported: https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=32266.
thanks ! But the translator can't convey my thoughts))

walkin-corpse

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2017, 08:05:14 pm »
В Windows если свернуть Lazarus и развернуть  пропадает окно Form остальные окна видно! Приходится заходить проект - формы и выбирать форму ((
If I minimize and restore IDE in Windows then the Form pane disappearing (others visible). Must choose "Project" - "Forms" and select  the form to activate it.

(I'll try to translate the description of this really ancient bug, I not tested if it still here in most recent RC version).

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2017, 02:52:28 am »
The Lazarus team is glad to announce the fourth release candidate of
Lazarus 1.8.
Mac OS X:
  10.5 to 10.12; Carbon (32bit), Cocoa (64bit, not stable), qt and qt5 (32 or 64bit).

Does Cocoa being "not stable" mean you don't want bug reports at this stage ? Even very simple ones ?  (Set Project Options to Cocoa, drop a TMemo on otherwise blank form, Run and it will segfault during startup.)

This on a Macbook Pro, Sierra, Lazarus 1.8rc4. Similar problems seem to exist in the Trunk Cocoa Widget Set.

David
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2017, 05:06:57 pm »
It's me or lazarus is faster than ever?

It compiles really fast...

BeniBela

• homepage
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2017, 12:27:38 am »
If it compiles

Just got this lazbuild assert failure between compiling

Code: [Select]
/home/theo/hg/components/pascal/internettools.pas(12,23) Hint: (5023) Unit "xquery__functions" not used in internettools
(1008) 134046 lines compiled, 10.8 sec
(1021) 45 warning(s) issued
(1022) 207 hint(s) issued
(1023) 28 note(s) issued
lazbuild: ../nptl/pthread_mutex_lock.c:117: __pthread_mutex_lock: Zusicherung »mutex->__data.__owner == 0« nicht erfüllt.
/home/theo/hg/programs/internet/xidel/../../../manageUtils.sh: line 156: 21985 Abgebrochen             (core dumped) lazbuild $1 $LPI

Yukiko

I think there is a bug with checkbox multiline captions
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2017, 03:57:19 am »
When I create a multi-line caption for a check box all the caption text is there but all on one line.

mechtron

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2017, 09:43:55 am »
I'm using linuxmint17 with kde5/plasma.
Whenever I close or restart lazarus, it crashes plasma and the desktop reloads. 
Not really a show stopper, but it looks very clunky.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2017, 10:20:58 am »

Yeah. Plasma sounds alpha quality. Apps shouldn't be able to crash the windowmanager.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2017, 11:13:28 am »
Yeah. Plasma sounds alpha quality. Apps shouldn't be able to crash the windowmanager.
That is a little outdated information. Plasma was alpha quality at the time of Linux Mint 17.
Even the last Mint 17.x release, 17.3 ‘Rosa’, is well over 2 years old, and Mint uses old versions of SW to start with. KDE there is maybe 3 years old.

The bug didn't crash the whole Plasma but it crashed Task Manager which then reloaded. It is fixed now:
 https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=342763
Somebody even reported it in Lazarus bug tracker for some reason:
 https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=32041

KDE has now advanced into a very good shape! I personally use a rolling Manjaro. A rolling SparkyLinux, based on Debian testing, is also good.
@mechtron, you really must update your KDE. It makes no sense to struggle with old alpha/beta versions.

I installed KaOS into an old laptop.
 https://kaosx.us/
Wow! Very light on resources and looks good. Unfortunately not good for developers but for "normal" users quite perfect.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:57:49 am by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2017, 09:49:53 am »
I personally use a rolling Manjaro. A rolling SparkyLinux, based on Debian testing, is also good.
I also prefer Manjaro but I had to give up on it on Apollo Lake because it kept freezing randomly even with several latest kernels. Linux Mint with backported kernel and Debian testing worked very well, but I gave up on Debian testing because it strangely didn't have Kodi, and building from source had too many problems. So I ended up with Debian stable, although it was awful out of the box until 4.12 was installed. I looked at Sparky but couldn't find anything worth using it over Debian, so I wonder what did you see in it that I missed? Maybe that would be worth another look?
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2017, 12:37:17 pm »
I also prefer Manjaro but I had to give up on it on Apollo Lake because it kept freezing randomly even with several latest kernels.
Oh, surprising! I even recommended an "Apollo Lake" Intel N3450 based mini-PC to a person. I myself still have Celeron N3000 in my main computer, ASRock Beebox. It is the earlier Braswell generation. No problems with Manjaro.
I could imagine a new kernel coming with rolling Manjaro would work better on a new CPU.

Linux Mint with backported kernel and Debian testing worked very well, but I gave up on Debian testing because it strangely didn't have Kodi, and building from source had too many problems.
Surprising again. A web search tells you can install it from:
 http://www.deb-multimedia.org/
although I didn't test it myself.

So I ended up with Debian stable, although it was awful out of the box until 4.12 was installed.
You mean the older Linux kernels lacked some HW drivers? Otherwise the differences between kernels in a desktop system are difficult to notice.

I looked at Sparky but couldn't find anything worth using it over Debian, so I wonder what did you see in it that I missed? Maybe that would be worth another look?
Good question. The main difference was that Sparky is rolling and Debian is not.
According to web it should be possible to use Debian testing as a rolling distro and even their documentation hints that way.
However when I changed "buster" to "testing" in /etc/apt/sources.list, I could not update any more.
I asked about it in Debian-user mailing list but didn't get a proper answer which is surprising again...
 http://debian.2.n7.nabble.com/Editing-etc-apt-sources-list-breaks-update-td4191020.html
The most on-topic answer was that using "buster" is OK because it will be the same as "testing" for maybe 2 years. The answer was from "Fungi4All" who was banned from the whole mailing list few days later for writing off-topic posts (not for me but for some other threads). For some reason he wrote me a personal mail saying he moves to Devuan and Artix.
So, my impression of Debian-user list is not good.

Anyway, for your use case Debian may be as good as Sparky.

My original search was for a rolling distro that can be installed on a x86 machine from a CD.
Such distros are going extinct although the machines are still very usable.
Many distros, including Manjaro, Ubuntu and Mint have dropped or are just dropping support for x86.
Debian still supports x86 and a CD-size image and has a good installer. Otherwise I would prefer a more modern distro.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:15:02 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2017, 01:51:03 pm »
I also prefer Manjaro but I had to give up on it on Apollo Lake because it kept freezing randomly even with several latest kernels.
Oh, surprising! I even recommended an "Apollo Lake" Intel N3450 based mini-PC to a person. I myself still have Celeron N3000 in my main computer, ASRock Beebox. It is the earlier Braswell generation. No problems with Manjaro.
I could imagine a new kernel coming with rolling Manjaro would work better on a new CPU.
Tested with kernel 4.12 and 4.13. Result was the same. Apollo Lake is supported since 4.10, unfortunately only Manjaro was freezing randomly on GIGABYTE GA-J3455N-D3H with 16GB RAM and 8TB HDD, so I had to give up on it after numerous fails to make it stable. Memory was tested with Memtest86+ 5.01 for several days without problems. System is mostly used as a backup server and home media center.

Linux Mint with backported kernel and Debian testing worked very well, but I gave up on Debian testing because it strangely didn't have Kodi, and building from source had too many problems.
Surprising again. A web search tells you can install it from:
http://www.deb-multimedia.org/
although I didn't test it myself.
Strangely apt-get can't find Kodi for installation in Debian testing. Look here: https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=kodi&searchon=names&suite=testing&section=all

So I ended up with Debian stable, although it was awful out of the box until 4.12 was installed.
You mean the older Linux kernels lacked some HW drivers? Otherwise the differences between kernels in a desktop system are difficult to notice.
No, I mean that Debian stable comes with 4.09 and Apollo Lake is supported in 4.10. Therefore whole installation process until backporting 4.12 was a frustration, since mouse was erratic and every few seconds the whole system was frozen for 5-10 seconds. That ment that installation took 6-7 looong hours. After 4.12 was installed there were no further problems. I wanted to avoid that by using Debian testing (which had good kernel for Apollo Lake), but had to give up when I found that Kodi was not in available packages and installation from source was abandoned after fixing dozen of problems but more and more were coming. I have to mention that Linux Mint worked well out of the box, but I decided to go for LMDE. Unfortunately I couldn't make LMDE to work at all, so I ended up with Debian stable instead. Lazarus doesn't have any problems with XFCE (unlike with Cinnamon), so that was another reason (I know how to install another desktop manager but I prefer if distro already has my favorite).

I looked at Sparky but couldn't find anything worth using it over Debian, so I wonder what did you see in it that I missed? Maybe that would be worth another look?
Good question. The main difference was that Sparky is rolling and Debian is not.
Somehow I missed that very important feature. I will take another look at Sparky, although I will probably stay with Debian stable on Apollo Lake. For my specific use case of Apollo Lake, rolling release might not be such a good idea after all.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:11:00 pm by avra »
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

munair

• compiler developer @SharpBASIC
    • SharpBASIC
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2017, 06:23:13 pm »

Keep in mind that Mint is built from Ubuntu and Ubuntu from Debian testing. I used both Mint and Ubuntu in the past and they turned out to be less stable as a programming environment than Debian stable. I use Debian 9 with KDE 5/plasma for several weeks now and so far I have not run into trouble with Lazarus. But I must add here that I use lcl-qt4 as provided by the Debian repo. If you use lcl-qt5 this may also be part of the problem. I currently do not have the means to test it myself.
keep it simple

calebs

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2017, 03:00:43 pm »
Hello all, maybe this is not the right place for this or maybe it's something is already answered elsewhere, but i noticed it a long ago and is still present in all lazarus versions, i think is not lazarus fault:
Im developing a multiplataform program that constist in many independent executables , mostly on windows (32/64 bits) and design forms there. Also i've tried developing in multiple linux distributions and windows managers and almost always find that the elements of the forms overlaps with labels and other text when i run the programs in different linuxes/wm... almost everytime i change linux to develop/run i have to redisign the forms and move away the components of forms to avoid their overlap.
Is there any solution to this? or its a linux font problem?
I've not found this problem in windows because i think always tried with default text size but i think that can happen if i change this too.
Thanks and keep the good work!
Ps: tried best to write in english, sorry!

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2017, 03:11:03 pm »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:17:32 pm by Handoko »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018