Recent

Author Topic: New version of VirtualU  (Read 2568 times)

user5

New version of VirtualU
« on: August 09, 2017, 06:50:17 pm »
    Greetings to all Lazarus lovers. A new version of the Lazarus movie-making program VirtualU is available for free at the download site below. The two biggest news items are that VirtualU is now true 3D and confirmation has been made that VirtulU works overall much faster on a computer with much memory. This was already assumed of course but confirmation is nice.  Actually, VirtualU is proven to make videos with 105 separate overlays as well as making truly transparent videos, sometimes simply by lightening the video. The only limitation is the creativity of the user.  This new version is more polished, better, faster and more problem free than previous versions.
    The current download version works well on WindowsXP and Windows10 and it should work okay on Vista, Windows7, Windows8 and Windows8.1 but except for brief testing with Windows7, VirtualU has only been tested on WindowsXP and Windows10. I currently don't have access to any systems other than the latter two Windows systems. I have run VirtualU with it being set to run in compatibility mode for all of these systems but that isn't quite the same as running it on the actual operating systems. The current download version is a gem with new features and better recent fine tuning.
    This version uses only disk for frame processing and doen't make a ram disk. Extensive testing showed that doing all of the processing in either a ram disk or dynamic memory allocation was only marginally faster than using disk. The small increase in speed by using memory for processing isn't great enough to justify using a computer's memory resources for that processing.
    I sure hit hit a bucket of woe when I ran it on Windows 10 and the issue of using quote marks to account for any spaces that might be in a file path made problems for me, especially when using batch file strings. It sure threw me for a loop, no pun intended. Example: c:\bin5\new1.exe vrs "c:\bin5\new1.exe" I only recently learned about that stuff. After all these years somehow I missed it.   
    I also ran into problems with making text and forms look good no matter what the screen resolution is. The current version now looks and works fine on resolutions ranging from 600x800 to 1920x1080. This is a work in progress so there may be a few places I missed where the text is cut off or has incorrect spacing. I keep thinking that it's finished and then I find something else that needs to be done. I've been working on it for more than 5 years continuously.
    I was also surprised to discover that the brightness levels on the image frames processed by the program were different between WindowsXP and Windows10 so I had to make some considerable changes in the code to handle those differences. Some folks still use XP.
    A new TV show made with VirtualU, the fourth show, also exists and can be seen on YouTube at the site shown below. Each show is a shakedown of VirtualU and represents another opportunity to weed out any remaining problems or bugs.  Each version of VirtualU is an order of magnitude better than the previous version.

Love what this forum and Lazarus are doing!

Download VirtualU in temp15.zip
https://od.lk/f/NDJfMTM3NDQ0OV8

Download VirtualU demo movie in demo1.zip
demo1.zip download link:https://od.lk/f/NDJfMTM2MDQ3OF8

Download file containing updates and info
readme.rtf download link:https://od.lk/d/NDJfMjM2MDM4MV8/readme.rtf

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
Re: New version of VirtualU
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 11:56:06 pm »
I tested your program only one time.

You should create a GitHub project to show your code and your releases. People will mostly not trust a download like this.

benohb

Re: New version of VirtualU
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:36:11 am »
source code please

TinyPortal © 2005-2018