Author Topic: How to avoid database missing fbclient.dll errors in Win10.  (Read 624 times)

Ronan

How to avoid database missing fbclient.dll errors in Win10.
« on: August 08, 2017, 03:04:22 pm »
Dear All,

I've written a CAD program, which was dependent on Firebird 2.1 SQL database engine (with Zeos library) to save and store data, shortly after completion of the program, I gave up using the sql and decided to take new approach as to use the in-memory databases which was more efficient. The problem is:

Program is working in my machine(win8.1 x64) but if I create a setup and install to on another machine it complains about the missing fbclient.dll, even after copying fbclient.dll the program still complains something is not proper with SQL engine. AFAIU old FB2.1 is buggy in recent version of windows espacially Win10. So its a good rule of thumb  to remove any dependency to Firebird. So for sake of that I've purged all calling routines which uses ZQuery, but even after that still I observe the very same behaviour program still complains about the same errors.

So how am I supposed to solve that problem? Your guidance will be appreciated.

REgards,

Thaddy

Re: How to avoid database missing fbclient.dll errors in Win10.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:55:14 pm »
Is the other machine also x64? Did you compile for 32 bit or 64 bit? Is the dll 64 bit or 32 bit? Check that first....
"Logically, no number of positive outcomes at the level of experimental testing can confirm a scientific theory, but a single counterexample is logically decisive."

Ronan

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:50:41 pm »
Since it was runing on my computer which is x64 then it should be running on other systems after providing the missing dlls, so I copied fbclient.dll(I think it is x64) from my machine to the target platform. Then following message appeared:

SQL Error unavailable database. Error code : -904 can not format message 13:96 --- message file C:\Users.....\firebird.msg not found.

Ronan

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:33:08 am »
Even if that succeeds. My goal is to totally to avoid usage of Firebird in my program because it is very slow, so that 's why I stripped out all the Zeos component reference in my program, where now I use totally the in-memory database, so that means there are still trace of Firebird database refered in my program but I couldn't spot it.

So question turns out to be as: What is the official way to make sure that program will never call anything related to Firebird not even in surreptitious manner?

Your help will be appreciated,

Regards,

GetMem

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:54:59 am »
@Ronan
So question turns out to be as: What is the official way to make sure that program will never call anything related to Firebird not even in surreptitious manner?
Just uninstall Zeos completely, delete(rename) Zeos folder, then rebuild your project. All remaining references should now cause compiling error.

Ronan

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 10:19:32 am »
I uninstalled the package Zeos, renamed the Zeos folder and I build the project, interestingly it didn't complain about anything. When I try to run it at the target machine it never starts up, when I monitor it from task manager I can see that program starts but immediately after starting it shuts down itself.  What can be done to diagnose and solve this ?

Regards,

Recent

Get Lazarus at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Open Hub project report for Lazarus