Recent

Author Topic: Whats wrong with this install  (Read 4257 times)

klyxmaster

Whats wrong with this install
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:39:55 am »
check it out... I've shown it to many, and no one can explain it..

https://ibb.co/b12GVQ

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Whats wrong with this install
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 03:09:42 am »
Where did you get the installer? Try to download the installer from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/

taazz

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 06:36:28 am »
what do you mean what it s wrong? As far as I can see it asks you to select the folder with the fpc sources, they must be in the same directory you install lazarus ee <install Dir>\fpc\3.0.2\source in your case.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

andresayang

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:58:33 am »
Well,

From the picture you post, I can not see the sources, there seems to be only object and compiled unit files (example: you have classes.o, classes.ppu but there is no classes.pp).
I guess that is what lazarus is asking for.

Did you install the sources ?

Rgds
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:00:36 am by andresayang »
Linux, Debian 12
Lazarus: always latest release

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 10:29:47 am »
Yes, Lazarus needs the fpc sources. You need to install the sources.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

klyxmaster

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 04:00:07 am »
@TAZZ, @ ANDREASAYANG

From the picture you can see it is searching for a folder (which exist in BOTH F:\FPC and my lazarus install(s) F:\Lazarus\fpc\3.0.2\units\i386-win32\rtl\), the RTL folder.

That is ALL you see.
Both the RTL folder exists.

You are ALSO informed that these sources which the user installing the app, is told it is in the RTL folder. Again, these exists - doesn't matter which one I choose

You DO NOT see it stating it has to be under lazarus.

I have the same FPC installed in a different folder, which I prefer. I like my compilers SEPARATE from my IDE's. Nothing wrong with that. If lazarus app does not like that, it should be stated at the time of install.

So my question SHOULD have been, what specific file(s) does lazarus needs - in the existing RTL folder, that do not exist? And shouldn't Lazarus come with the missing files?

thanks

taazz

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 04:14:28 am »
@TAZZ, @ ANDREASAYANG

From the picture you can see it is searching for a folder (which exist in BOTH F:\FPC and my lazarus install(s) F:\Lazarus\fpc\3.0.2\units\i386-win32\rtl\), the RTL folder.

That is ALL you see.
Both the RTL folder exists.

You are ALSO informed that these sources which the user installing the app, is told it is in the RTL folder. Again, these exists - doesn't matter which one I choose

You DO NOT see it stating it has to be under lazarus.

I have the same FPC installed in a different folder, which I prefer. I like my compilers SEPARATE from my IDE's. Nothing wrong with that. If lazarus app does not like that, it should be stated at the time of install.

So my question SHOULD have been, what specific file(s) does lazarus needs - in the existing RTL folder, that do not exist? And shouldn't Lazarus come with the missing files?

thanks
although the screenshot is badly distorted and the text is effectively unreadable, I could've swear that it asks for the fpc sources not the rtl folder, the sources are usually not in the rtl folder. I think I remember something about a secondary installation for the sources when you install fpc standalone outside lazarus. Keep in mind when I say sources I mean the pp, pas, inc files that are needed to create the ppu, o files of the rtl. Those sources are used by the code tools and has nothing todo with compiling running or debugging your applications.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 04:38:41 am »
Of course you can use a separate fpc install.

In your screenshot the path you entered seems to be
   ...../i386-win32/rtl
That is the path to the compiled fpc.

So as Taazz said, did you install the fpc sources? (That is a separate install, its included in the Lazarus installer, but if you install fpc yourself, you need to install it extra)

You need a folder that contains rtl and packages. And within those will be further folders.
The files in those folders will be .pas .pp .inc
e.g. one of the files will be 
  yourfolder_where_sources_are\rtl\win32\system.pp
  yourfolder_where_sources_are\rtl\win32\windows.pp
and many more

TinyPortal © 2005-2018