Recent

Author Topic: Single Window Mode  (Read 30796 times)

Tikani

Single Window Mode
« on: July 30, 2017, 10:31:19 pm »
I have Lazarus IDE of 1.6.4 version. How can I make it to be single-windowed? This horrible bunch of little separate windows puts me out of temper. I have tried to install ceratin "Anchordockdesign" (or something with the similar name) package, but nothing changed + if I maximize code editor window and try to resize it via dragging an edge of it, IDE raises a strange WinLoop exception. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:50:28 pm by Tikani »

RAW

Re: Single Window Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:39:17 pm »
The easiest way would be to set the window position of all windows and then save it ...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:01:34 pm by RAW »
Windows 7 Pro (x64 Sp1) & Windows XP Pro (x86 Sp3).

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 09:57:39 pm »
Anchordockingdsgn only enables IDE windows to be dockable, the layout is totally up to you. There are some readily available layout here. I can send mine, too if you want. Mind you, it's my own taste which may not be everyone's taste.

xaskell

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 06:28:42 am »
Actually I noticed one thing.
I installed Anchordockingdsgn previously on latest stable Lazarus IDE 1.6.4.
And It looked like a total mess there honestly.  So I gived up and forgot about it.
Later I had one problem reported bug(My Form's size returned to default after I clickedon any component at Linux Mint).
Developers advised me to use newest release of Lazarus. I tested 1.8.0RC4. There are this problem gone.
So now I use 1.8.0RC4. And I installed Anchordockingdsgn. Here it looks quite good by default.
So I hope in next stable release of Lazarus everything will be ok.
I guess there should be option to do Lazarus Single Window(without any additional packages), like it is in Gimp for example

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 08:14:59 pm »
I guess there should be option to do Lazarus Single Window(without any additional packages), like it is in Gimp for example
Do you know that there's actually more than 1 package that enables docking IDE windows? ;)
Better let it be there as a package, don't kill the modularity, but make it pre-installed instead.

ArminLinder

• Keep it simple.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 10:20:27 am »
Excuse me jumping in here, I have just switched from 1.6.4 to 1.8.0 RC-5, because that version does get along better with my multi-monitor environment.

In doing so, I did once again wonder, how for christ's sake one can seriously work with that multi-window default design. Who is advocating it, and why? I mean, given that most of us have multiple programs running, a browser, an e-mail application and a bunch of development tools at least, how do you manage switching between and distinguishing between applications? What is your benefit if you can arrange the zillions of Lazarus tool windows around zillions of tool windows from other programs, and how do you avoid getting totally confused about which windows does now belong to which program? I regularly get lost in what to me feels like window clutter on my screen.

There must be reasons, but honestly, I can't imagine what they may be.

Armin.

With 1.6.4 I tried Anchorchocksomething, but I felt that Lazaus got instable, but this may have been a mistake of mine, I later found out that 1.6.4 has a problem with multi-monitor, maybe the anchoring solution wasn't the culprit at all. I'll give it another try with 1.8.
Lazarus 3.3.2 on Windows 7,10,11, Debian 10.8 "Buster", macOS Catalina, macOS BigSur, VMWare Workstation 15, Raspberry Pi

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:04:45 pm »
I don't know if the changes in trunk are backported to recent Lazarus 1.8 RC candidates, but the issue does not occur in trunk (1.9) anymore.
Specialize a type, not a var.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 05:50:38 pm »
... how for christ's sake one can seriously work with that multi-window default design. Who is advocating it, and why?
I don't think anybody is really advocating it but AnchorDocking used to be buggy. Now in 1.8 it works rather well. Please test.
I hope the possible remaining issues get fixed soon.

I mean, given that most of us have multiple programs running, a browser, an e-mail application and a bunch of development tools at least, how do you manage switching between and distinguishing between applications?
By using virtual desktops. I personally use KDE but the concept is implemented in many DE systems.
So, one virtual desktop here is dedicated for a console and Lazarus started from it.
Yes, I like separate windows better than a docked IDE, because:
1. Windows can overlap each other. A small visible part is often enough to see what is going on. See my Messages window in the screenshot. The visible part shows that compilation happened and succeeded. When I need more info, I select the window.
2. Source editor can be from screen top to bottom. I want to see as many lines as possible at a time. For the same reason the editor toolbar is located left side. Sometimes I want to see 2 parts of source code at the same time. Then I open another equally high editor window, moving them side by side.

The screenshot is what I happened to have open now. In debugging situations I often have stacktrace window and maybe other debug windows open. They can overlap the OI which is not needed then.
All in all, this means more efficient usage of screen area.
I fully understand your point in a system without virtual desktop. The sole desktop can become messy then.
The OS in the screenshot is Manjaro Linux with KDE. I used to have 4 virtual desktops but now just 2 feels enough.

[Edit] I had to scale down the screenshot to match the forum's file size limit. It became messy but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:41:32 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Eugene Loza

• My games in Pascal
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 08:04:14 pm »
how for christ's sake one can seriously work with that multi-window default design.
I understand you. I found it extremely inconvenient when I first started working with Lazarus. And actually I also didn't have any "pros" for it until recently - I just got used to it and it stopped irritating me.
However, at the current moment, working with an over 20-thousand lines of code program in ~60 units... well, it's not just convenient to work with multi-window interface design... It'd be just impossible to work with the program code otherwise. I need space for several source editors, for console output, for Project explorer and so on. Sometimes changing configuration of windows to see all the lines I need. Really handy.
Thou, of course an easy switching between modes (like switching between displaying just a single button in the taskbar) would be more than welcome, especially by new users.
My FOSS games in FreePascal&CastleGameEngine: https://decoherence.itch.io/ (Sources: https://gitlab.com/EugeneLoza)

ArminLinder

• Keep it simple.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:04:25 am »
Thanks for your opinions. I can see your points, and while I don't completely agree with all, I have too got used to the interface after some time.

Good news/feedback: I have been on 1.8RC5 for a week now, with AnchorDocking activated, and didn't have a single IDE crash. So it seems, at last everyone can work the way he likes best.

Thumbs up for Lazarus, I've come to love it even more with 1.8, with the multi-monitor issues fixed I had a smooth ride the whole last week, and got a really good piece of software done (so the test users say) and rolled out into the wild.

Thumbs up for the team,

Armin.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:46:57 am by Nimral »
Lazarus 3.3.2 on Windows 7,10,11, Debian 10.8 "Buster", macOS Catalina, macOS BigSur, VMWare Workstation 15, Raspberry Pi

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 08:55:00 am »
Me too disliked the multi-window interface and I used AnchorDocking. But then I found single window mode is less flexible. So I switched back to multi-window mode.

For most users especially beginners,  multi-window interface is annoying. But if you know how to use it properly, with the helps of Single-Button-Taskbar and Desktop (as described by RAW), it's really handy for users who has a big monitor and doing lots of multitasking while doing programming.

istoica

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 10:07:43 am »
I still do not understand what I have to do to have it working in a single window.
I am a beginner and find it very annoying chasing windows all the time.
Do you have an updated guide for 1.8.0 ? (I am using Ubuntu 16.04)

istoica

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 10:20:08 am »
I have just found out it can be done by installing following the steps here:

https://github.com/FlKo/LazarusDockedDesktops#how-to-install

But it really breaks the 1.8 IDE, the form Designer is embedded in the window as a new tabl, but dbl-click on a button drawn on the form does not work anymore.
Neither all the Window top level menu submenus, excep the first one(Manage source editors..)

I am uninstalling AnchorDockingDsgn and sparta_DockedFormEditor as they damaged the IDE, will return to the default MDI :(
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:21:55 am by istoica »

Paul_

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 12:49:37 am »
I still do not understand what I have to do to have it working in a single window.

I'm using anchordockingdsgn only. Docked form have weird behaviour and it's slow if you have more components.
It's not perfect but still better than have 4 separated windows somewhere.

You can show edited form by pressing F12.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:08:04 am by Paul_ »

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 12:48:23 pm »
But it really breaks the 1.8 IDE
Not in my case.

the form Designer is embedded in the window as a new tab
This is normal.

but dbl-click on a button drawn on the form does not work anymore.
This is not normal.

Neither all the Window top level menu submenus, excep the first one(Manage source editors..)
This is not normal.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:50:08 pm by avra »
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

TinyPortal © 2005-2018