Forum > Editor

Lazarus 1.8.0RC3 - IDE Editor - Cursor not visible - Raspberry Pi 3

(1/4) > >>

ertank:
Hello,

I am using Lazarus mainly on Raspberry Pi - Jessie (Linux raspberrypi 4.9.24-v7+ #993 SMP Wed Apr 26 18:01:23 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux).

I have no problem after a reboot of the OS. I start working with Lazarus and after a while I see no cursor on the Editor window. I can still type, delete, select, etc. I can see my column and row numbers are changing when moving the cursor in editor file. I simply cannot see my cursor blinking.

I could not understand how exactly problem happens. However, it happens like always after a while. Setting Option "Always visible cursor" did not help me.

Problem is only with Lazarus Editor. Switching to a browser of a TextEditor, and I can see my cursor blinking in there.

My searches in the internet did not help much. I feel like I am the only person having such a problem. Therefore, I wanted to give it a try making my problem public.

Are there anybody out there having such a problem of cursor not visible? If yes, do you have a solution?

As I do not know how to reproduce the problem, I cannot post a bug report about this in mantis which also makes me feel like I need to live with it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Ertan

Thaddy:
I am currently using linux-arm: it does not have the problem. Yesterday I was on win64: it dd not have the problem. I am using trunk, though (1.9, with FPC trunk r36814)

Martin_fr:
Did you use other versions of Lazarus in the past? e.g. 1.6.4 ?
Did the problem happen with any of them?

Please (re-)compile your IDE with the following settings:
-Criot -gh -gw -gttt -Sa -O-

Start your IDE from a console/shell and set the environment
HEAPTRC="keepreleased"

Note the HEAPTRC="keepreleased"  will eat a lot of memory over time, and you may only be able to run for a short time.
If that is the case, then skip setting it.

If you run from console, you should see some output there. If there are any stacktraces, then copy them and past them here.
If you do not run from console, use lazarus --debug-log=/home/yourname/laz.log or similar.

If the issue goes away, the recompile and change the settings to
-Criot -gh -gw -gttt -Sa -O1

and again test, and if ok increase the last bit to -O2 and then -O3

-------------------------------
When you have the IDE in a state that fails, go to menu: tools > options, then page: Editor > Display > Markup and Matches
and disable "Outline (global)

-------------------------------
RC1 had a similar issue, the caret was shown, but at a wrong location. But I thought it was fixed / I had no feedback though.

ertank:

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on July 30, 2017, 01:50:42 pm ---Did you use other versions of Lazarus in the past? e.g. 1.6.4 ?
Did the problem happen with any of them?

--- End quote ---
I started to use Lazarus on Raspberry with 1.8.0RC1

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on July 30, 2017, 01:50:42 pm ---Please (re-)compile your IDE with the following settings:
-Criot -gh -gw -gttt -Sa -O-

--- End quote ---
Do you mean to use a command line like below to (re)-compile?

--- Code: ---make bigide -Criot -gh -gw -gttt -Sa -O-

--- End code ---

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on July 30, 2017, 01:50:42 pm ---Start your IDE from a console/shell and set the environment
HEAPTRC="keepreleased"

Note the HEAPTRC="keepreleased"  will eat a lot of memory over time, and you may only be able to run for a short time.
If that is the case, then skip setting it.

--- End quote ---
I think I do not want to try this before trying re-compiling and saving a log file.

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on July 30, 2017, 01:50:42 pm ---If you run from console, you should see some output there. If there are any stacktraces, then copy them and past them here.
If you do not run from console, use lazarus --debug-log=/home/yourname/laz.log or similar.

--- End quote ---
I do run from console. However, it is not possible to read output easily. Making Lazarus keeping a log file would be more convenient.

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on July 30, 2017, 01:50:42 pm ---If the issue goes away, the recompile and change the settings to
-Criot -gh -gw -gttt -Sa -O1

and again test, and if ok increase the last bit to -O2 and then -O3

--- End quote ---
I hope to have it fixed by recompiling or else, I presume checking log file will be a pain.

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on July 30, 2017, 01:50:42 pm ----------------------------------
When you have the IDE in a state that fails, go to menu: tools > options, then page: Editor > Display > Markup and Matches
and disable "Outline (global)

--- End quote ---
You above suggestions, I will be looking at them if  I can find a point it works & another point where it doesn't.

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on July 30, 2017, 01:50:42 pm ----------------------------------
RC1 had a similar issue, the caret was shown, but at a wrong location. But I thought it was fixed / I had no feedback though.

--- End quote ---
Maybe that's it. Assuming that caret is shown in a location so wrong that I cannot even see it.

BTW, What I could find is basically below link about the situation. If that rings anything to anybody.
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/pipermail/lazarus/2008-August/037756.html

Martin_fr:

--- Quote ---Do you mean to use a command line like below to (re)-compile?

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---make bigide -Criot -gh -gw -gttt -Sa -O-
--- End quote ---

I think it is more like

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---make bigide OPT="-Criot -gh -gw -gttt -Sa -O-"
Not 100% sure, I usually build via the tools menu.
There is an entry "configure build lazarus", where you can set the options, and start the compile

--- Quote ---I do run from console. However, it is not possible to read output easily. Making Lazarus keeping a log file would be more convenient.
--- End quote ---
Then use the --debug-log=file option

--- Quote ---I hope to have it fixed by recompiling or else, I presume checking log file will be a pain.
--- End quote ---
you would just be looking for something like

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---Stack trace:  $00439E86  $00439E33  $004D47C4  TCONTROL__CLICK,  line 2251 of ./include/control.inc  $0050391F  TBUTTONCONTROL__CLICK,  line 62 of ./include/buttoncontrol.inc  $00503E46  TCUSTOMBUTTON__CLICK,  line 174 of ./includeshould not be too hard to spot.
Then post it to the forum (or IF the log has a trace, attach the whole log)

---
For reference, the RC1 I refered to:
http://forum.lazarus-ide.org/index.php/topic,36907.msg246796.html#msg246796

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version