Recent

Author Topic: Browser info compiler option  (Read 3278 times)

dubst3pp4

• Retro computing ~ GNU/Linux
    • me on Mastodon
Browser info compiler option
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:23:01 am »
Hello, I've just discovered the -b and -bl compiler options to generate browser information.
It looks like that this information is compiled into the binary. Is this an fp-ide only format? How could I use this browser information for other texteditors (my use case is Vim)?
Jabber: xmpp:marc.hanisch@member.fsf.org -- Support the Free Software Foundation: https://my.fsf.org/donate

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: Browser info compiler option
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:20:53 pm »
Hello, I've just discovered the -b and -bl compiler options to generate browser information.
It looks like that this information is compiled into the binary. Is this an fp-ide only format? How could I use this browser information for other texteditors (my use case is Vim)?
-Xg        Create debuginfo in a separate file and add a debuglink section to executable

You really should look at the documentation.

(Although I really, really, really do not understand WHY that is not te default: nobody has a good explanation for that, yet..)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:27:09 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

dubst3pp4

• Retro computing ~ GNU/Linux
    • me on Mastodon
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 10:06:44 am »
Thanks Thaddy! I really read the documentation and I think that the FreePascal team did a really good job here! But it is hard to interpret the difference and meaning of:

-b     Generate browser info
-Xg        Create debuginfo in a separate file and add a debuglink section to executable

So I still don't know:

1. in what format is the browser info exactly?
2. is it usable from within fp-ide only or is it usable from other editors, too?
3. how does the debuginfo reflect the structure of my pascal file?

I've also searched the Wiki but found no hints. My goal is to use fpc for Vim plugins like YouCompleteMe or Syntastic, to set up a much better Pascal environment in Vim as it is by default.

Jabber: xmpp:marc.hanisch@member.fsf.org -- Support the Free Software Foundation: https://my.fsf.org/donate

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:22:10 am »
1. The default is dwarfv2 (I tnink)
2. That info is readable by GDB for which you can setup most editors as an external tool
3. It does not directly. It relies on your debug settings and the sections.

If you do not want the debug info included during debugging, you make your life a bit more difficult. This also goes for e.g. GNU C(++). Or Delphi...
Specialize a type, not a var.

SymbolicFrank

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:17:27 pm »
(Although I really, really, really do not understand WHY that is not te default: nobody has a good explanation for that, yet..)
Totally agree. Especially because the installer tells you to do that yourself ASAP. And it's a project setting, so you have to reset it every time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018