Recent

Author Topic: What will happen with Lazarus/Freepascal with windows 10 s ?  (Read 9641 times)

Robert W.B.

• Love my Wife, My Kids and Lazarus/Freepascal.
I read that windows 10 s, is only granted apps from windows store and you will not be able to install Lazarus/Freepascal on that OP!
Will you develop a version for windows store?
Will you develop a version for Android Playstore?
Thanks in advance
Bob
Rob

RAW

Re: What will happen with Lazarus/Freepascal with windows 10 s ?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 02:40:39 am »
If this is all true, then this will be a very limited WINDOWS version and smart people wouldn't want to use it I guess....

Maybe it will be the new WINDOWS 6 or 8 or "9" .... just kidding...  :D
Windows 7 Pro (x64 Sp1) & Windows XP Pro (x86 Sp3).

molly

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 02:49:22 am »
It is all true RAW, that is if you believe what is written in wikipedia.

So basically when you bought yourself a windows 10s machine you have a very expensive minecraft device  :D

RAW

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 02:54:54 am »
 :D :D :D That's exactly what I always wanted...  :)

I guess WINDOWS 10 S will be FREEWARE or do they really want real money for it ???

molly

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 03:25:06 am »
Revenue comes from the store, just as google play store and Aple app store and by in-software-purchases. It seems that most people allow themselves to be suckered into such things...

Apparently the OS is "free", and you can take that with a mountain of salt  :)

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 09:44:49 am »
Well. A Dutch mountain... But you have a point.
But anyway Microsoft has always been helpful in providing a solution for free software in the cases that their policies harmed free software.
In this case, ultimately, e.g. have one or more certificates for the shop in place and a review board of esteemed programmers that eventually sign a binary (written by anyone, with a code review) ) on request is probably enough. You have to understand such things are not governed by marketing reasons. They are governed by customer protection reasons. Microsoft did not invent malware...

In the case of commercial software written in FPC, simply make sure you are trusted by Microsoft and its partners (the CA's)  yourself. The barrier is not that high... (it was, but they reverted a huge part of it very quickly). That will take a modest investment.

Same goes for e.g. Apple's model.

And yes, at some point the professional liars (marketeers) will try to take over, but until now this has always been mitigated by higher management.... All major players in the software industry.

Sidenote: I never thought I had to defend MS  :-X
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:01:47 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 11:29:31 am »
It's no different than something like Android, you can't really install Lazarus to it either. Win10 S is specifically to those small portable devices, or so it sounded like. You wouldn't use something as clunky as a keyboard with such.

taazz

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 11:34:02 am »
let me put in perspective. it is cheaper to buy a raspberry pi install my application in it with linux OS and sell that, instead of paying for someone else's privilege to use windows for free.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Thaddy

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 11:36:11 am »
It's no different than something like Android,
Correct..
you can't really install Lazarus to it either.
not correct...
Win10 S is specifically to those small portable devices, or so it sounded like. You wouldn't use something as clunky as a keyboard with such.
That's also not correct: within weeks MS changed the license (for the shop) to allow old school windows only, whereas it originally wanted to achieve a kind of multi-platform packaging.

Thaddy

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 11:40:11 am »
let me put in perspective. it is cheaper to buy a raspberry pi install my application in it with linux OS and sell that, instead of paying for someone else's privilege to use windows for free.
Well... not exactly ( I am typing this on one of my beloved RPi's) Count the zero's.... 16.000.000 is a lot less than an conservative estimate of  2.000.000.000...

If you mean that you can just give away a perfectly capable hardware platform for most software applications, you are of course spot on  O:-) :)

BTW, that is nothing new: e.g. Burroughs used to do that in the late '70.....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:45:06 am by Thaddy »

taazz

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 11:59:54 am »
Well... not exactly ( I am typing this on one of my beloved RPi's) Count the zero's.... 16.000.000 is a lot less than an conservative estimate of  2.000.000.000...
Ok you have to be a bit more specific about those numbers. what I'm talking about is the fact that for each license sold from an App store I have to pay a percentage (usually 30%) to the store so lets say my app costs around 300€ adding 30% will push the price to 390€. For 350€ I can give away a raspberry PI as you have put it your self. For more expensive application this becomes very silly very fast.
If you mean that you can just give away a perfectly capable hardware platform for most software applications, you are of course spot on  O:-) :)

BTW, that is nothing new: e.g. Burroughs used to do that in the late '70.....
Never heard Burroughs before I'll have to look it up.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 12:17:05 pm »
Isn't Windows 10S mainly used in the US educational system as counter to chrome books ?

Thaddy

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 01:16:57 pm »
Isn't Windows 10S mainly used in the US educational system as counter to chrome books ?
You mean:
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. {$define mswindows}
  2. var counter: shortint;
  3. begin
  4.   read(
Oh, I see to, not for... :D

guest60499

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 10:37:55 pm »
Well. A Dutch mountain... But you have a point.
But anyway Microsoft has always been helpful in providing a solution for free software in the cases that their policies harmed free software.
Sometimes it seems like brinkmanship is used to suggest something and then pass something less that was what they originally wanted. E.g. the concerns that were raised with secure boot are still valid and there is no way to control the software modern computers run, but everyone thinks they made OEMs back down from locking secure boot. The locking just happens at a level below secure boot.

RAW

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 10:59:18 pm »
They are governed by customer protection reasons.
Exactly, that's what they say being on a party, but if they're back at home...  :)

Microsoft did not invent malware...
Maybe, but they made already a perfect SPYWARE...  :P
And the borders are thin...

Sidenote: I never thought I had to defend MS  :-X
:D

TinyPortal © 2005-2018