Recent

Author Topic: Is Cocoa the future for Lazarus on macOS?  (Read 20383 times)

esvignolo

• Using FPC in Windows, Linux, Macos
Re: Is Cocoa the future for Lazarus on macOS?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 05:52:40 pm »
Well Phil, I'll do what you suggest. I really admire your knowledge of macOS. In one of those you can clarify a little more about QT5 and macos because there is very little information.

GillesH

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2017, 10:11:45 am »
Hello,

Just passing by. I use every day Qt on my mac. I do not think the support of Qt by Lazarus is the future of Lazarus because Lazarus greatly reduces qt's capabilities. In addition it is necessary to distribute all necessary qt libraries.

But I can not understand. In interpreting your remarks, I understand that it is currently possible to use an experimental trunk lazarus cocoa ?

The cross compilation is a problem : I tried from Lazarus Carbon to use UniDac by cross-compiling to 64-bit Cocoa: total failure.

I believe that to develop the use of Lazarus under macOS you must facilitate its installation.

It takes a step-by-step tutorial, updated to the new version of Mac: OS 10.12.6, including the installation of an integrated debugger ... even if it's under Carbon 32.

Then you need a step-by-step tutorial to cross-compile the projects to Cocoa 64.

Do not complain if there is no Mac OS Lazarus's user. Installation is very difficult when compared to the Windows or Linux installation.

Then for someone who wants to test Lazarus, it is almost a blow on abandonment before even being able to test it.

I installed Lazarus, managed to integrate gdb and dropped to cross-compilation. Too painful, too time consuming, too complicated ...

Regards. Gilles
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:15:31 am by GillesH »

Phil

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 09:50:18 pm »
But I can not understand. In interpreting your remarks, I understand that it is currently possible to use an experimental trunk lazarus cocoa ?

Not sure what you mean by "experimental". The trunk Cocoa widgetset code is a bit more recent than the Lazarus 1.8 RCx Cocoa widgetset code, and quite a bit more recent (and complete) than the Laz 1.6 Cocoa widgetset code.

https://macpgmr.github.io/MacXPlatform/UsingCocoaFromTrunk.html

The cross compilation is a problem : I tried from Lazarus Carbon to use UniDac by cross-compiling to 64-bit Cocoa: total failure.

What version of Lazarus were you using? Be sure to test the Cocoa widgetset only with RC 1.8RC3 or later.

Then for someone who wants to test Lazarus, it is almost a blow on abandonment before even being able to test it.

Yes, I'm sure many prospective Mac Lazarus users have been greatly disappointed over the years.

GillesH

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 09:39:01 am »
Hello Phil,

I just installed trunk : OK.
Fig 1

Test :  IDE very slow including moving the mouse. It is possible to change the width of the IDE toolbar but the height can not be changed...And the height is too small.
Fig 2

To compile my small code, it takes 45 seconds. (The texts are truncated)Fig 3

Unable to recompile Lazarus from itself.  (idem).
Fig4

Many fonts are too large.
I am available to carry out all the tests you want but do you have a programmer with whom we can work live?

Cordially. Gilles
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:01:44 am by GillesH »

balazsszekely

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 10:16:39 am »
Hi GillesH,

2. Try to uncheck "Automatically adjust IDE main window height"(screenshot 1)
4. Rescan FPC sources, maybe it helps(screenshot 2)

GillesH

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 11:18:30 am »
Hello GetMem,

I try the first action. But Lazarus crashes when I validate the change. Bug report (Crash transmitted to Apple).
My fpc is that of the stable version (3.0.2). Must I compile the trunk version ? I think that's possible. I usually compile my environment Qt. Doing this with fpc should not be any more complicated  :D

ADD : 2: It's OK - 4 : Obviously a directory problem. I will look tomorrow morning

Regards. Gilles
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:48:28 pm by GillesH »

GillesH

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2017, 11:21:54 am »
Hello,

4: OK. Aside from a font problem in the windows  (screenshot), Lazarus works normally (including the reported slowness that no longer exists). GDB is operational.

I can recompile it with the default settings from the IDE itself so I can integrate my own components.

But, the default configuration is i386 and not x86_64 and any attempt with this option fails.

Regards. Gilles
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:40:03 am by GillesH »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018