Recent

Author Topic: TListView vsIcon view shows as vsReport on MacOS  (Read 2378 times)

FangQ

TListView vsIcon view shows as vsReport on MacOS
« on: July 16, 2017, 04:48:35 am »
I have been working on a GUI over the past few weeks. The GUI was written with lazarus and compiled on Linux, Windows and Mac without a problem. The only issue right now is the ListView does not work properly on the Mac computers - it is supposed to be showing large icons (vsIcon), but it always show as vsReport on the Mac (I tried both -ws cocoa and the default widgeset).

Attached is an screenshot on the Mac.

on windows/Linux, the icons are shown properly.

http://mcx.sourceforge.net/upload/mcxstudio_windows.png

is this an expected behavior? thanks

FangQ

Re: TListView vsIcon view shows as vsReport on MacOS
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 08:47:26 pm »
sorry for resurrecting an old post - I posted the above question over 6 years ago, I am still seeing the same in my test using Lazarus 2.0.12 on MacOS 10.13.

from other posts, it seems other users managed to use TListView under the vsIcon mode, but on my Lazarus, this simply does not work, see screenshot below

does TListView on the Mac support or still does not support vsIcon mode? (currently, no matter what I set to ViewStyle, it always shows as vsReport)

KodeZwerg

• Fifty shades of code.
    • Delphi & FreePascal
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 10:25:10 pm »
Lazarus 2.0.12
Have you ever tried to use a more current version to try if its fixed? (I cannot test myself since I do not have MacOS)
« Last Edit: Tomorrow at 31:76:97 xm by KodeZwerg »

TRon

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 10:25:39 pm »
sorry for resurrecting an old post - I posted the above question over 6 years ago, I am still seeing the same in my test using Lazarus 2.0.12 on MacOS 10.13.
Not trying to be an a*hole here but version 2.0.10 of lazarus was released in july 2020. That is over a decade old a couple of years old now.

If you truly are using 2.0.12 of Lazarus in this day and age then what improvements would you expect over, let's say, Lazarus 3.0RC1 which was released a couple of months ago ? You are still using an old code-base that does not contain any improvements that where done in the last decade couple of years. Which does not necessarily means things have improved but your chances are slightly better that it has/have.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 10:37:17 pm by TRon »

Zoran

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zoran
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 10:33:57 pm »
in july 2020. That is over a decade old.

What year is it now?  :-\
How many years are there in a decade? %)

TRon

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 10:36:12 pm »
@zoran:
I read 2020, I wrote 2020, I interpreted 2020 but someho9w managed to use it as 2010 in my head. Brain fart I guess. Apologies and corrected.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 10:38:17 pm by TRon »

wp

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 10:46:26 pm »
currently, no matter what I set to ViewStyle, it always shows as vsReport
I see the same on current Laz/main with a macOS VM.

FangQ

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 12:52:41 am »
it is a legit question - why I want to use older releases, here are my reasons

1. my GUI program was designed to be build across Linux/Windows/Mac - so I want to make sure I set up my dev environment consistently on each OS I have access - for Linux, I have been sticking with (X)ubuntu LTS over the past 15+ years, due to various key benefits that I observed. Because of that, I have been keeping all of my Lazarus versions to match the version I could install on Ubuntu 18.04 (version I have on my work desktop) via package management (I also have a preference of installing software only from package management system for easy management and migration).

2. if I have unmatched lazarus versions across my OS environments, when opening and saving projects, new component properties introduced by newer lazarus could cause warnings or even errors when loading in the older versions. Metadata saved in the project file may also toggle between different versions unnecessarily in version control. It is a nuance and it is fixable, but I don't like it.

3. in college, I drained a big chunk of my free time in writing GUIs in CB/Delphi, and in many of my projects, I tried to find fancy 3rd party components on the web to create something look different from a "normal" UI; Now I am doing something totally opposite - I try very hard to stick with the most basic, plainest components, focus on functionality and stability, I found this way gives my code the best portability and least effort needed to maintain. (By the way, I miss CB a lot! I wish lazarus has a C++ interface, but I know it is not easy to do). Because of that, I don't need anything from newer versions, unless there is a bug fix or major new feature that I could benefit.

On the other side, Lazarus is an incredibly stable, forward compatible, bloat-free for any new release, with self-contained package installers that can be installed virtually on all OSes and OS versions. For these reasons, I have no reservation when upgrading to new versions is becoming necessary - but at this point, I just don't see any feature that I HAVE to use a new version - I suppose if it does fix the ListView icon issue for the Mac, I would use that justification to do an upgrade across the board.

FangQ

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2023, 01:05:30 am »
I see the same on current Laz/main with a macOS VM.

thank you @wp for confirming this - I suppose this deficiency is likely rooted in the underlying Carbon and Cocoa APIs.

FangQ

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2023, 02:03:09 am »
found this on Lazarus' gitlab issues, ticket remains open

https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/lazarus/lazarus/-/issues/13060

TinyPortal © 2005-2018