Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Start application from IDE does not work  (Read 6257 times)

wittbo

[SOLVED] Start application from IDE does not work
« on: July 10, 2017, 10:01:00 pm »
some days ago I installed Lazarus on my iMac. Everything runs well, the only exception is: clicking the green "Start" button in the IDE or typing cmd-R or choosing the menu item START does not start the application. One can see, that the debugger gets started (...debugging in the title header of the window) but then nothing happens.

Any hint for me?   On my MacBook, no problem (OK, there I have to type my administrator account password once per session...).

-wittbo-
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:07:18 pm by wittbo »
-wittbo-
MBAir with MacOS 10.14.6 / Lazarus 2.2.4
MacStudio with MacOS 13.0.1 / Lazarus 2.2.4

Phil

Re: Start application from IDE does not work
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:05:13 pm »
Any hint for me?

Probably debugger (gdb) not set up right for the iMac. Can you run an app okay without the debugger (Run | Run without Debugging)?

If necessary, you can always debug with lldb from the Terminal. Or create a temporary Xcode project and debug your Laz app there.

https://macpgmr.github.io/ObjP/ProjectXC.html

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 10:18:25 pm »
Atm I have the same issues (with trunk) on anything but Windows: console application fails to show/start on Laz 1.9/3.1.1. Application compiles fine... (in the IDE) and runs fine (but not in the IDE) when opening a console and running it by hand. This is only with trunk. Are you running trunk? I am investigating...
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

wittbo

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 07:28:32 pm »
Sorry, I haven't been at home for some days.

@Phil: The behaviour is the same for each application on the iMac, not for one single app. Can you tell me, where to find the option "Run without debugger"? I can't find it.
-wittbo-
-wittbo-

taazz

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 07:37:47 pm »
Sorry, I haven't been at home for some days.

@Phil: The behaviour is the same for each application on the iMac, not for one single app. Can you tell me, where to find the option "Run without debugger"? I can't find it.
-wittbo-
I never found it my self either so I build it, open tool\Configure externals tools, press add, for description I typed No debug, for program filename I typed $TargetFile() and for working dir I entered $Path($TargetFile()). after that you can find a menu named no debug under the tools menu.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

balazsszekely

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 07:53:50 pm »
@wittbo, @taazz
Please see attached images.

taazz

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 08:13:40 pm »
@wittbo, @taazz
Please see attached images.
Oh! I have the coolbar hidden at all times no wander I can't find it ;) thank you.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

wittbo

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 08:53:55 am »
Thanks for your hints.
Since the option "Run without debugger" as shown by Getmem isn't available in my Lazarus installation 1.6.4; i tried the way posted by tax. The result is, starting the app this way, works as designed. So I suppose, that my gdb installation isn't clean.
Thanks.
-wittbo-

Thaddy

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 09:01:31 am »
@GetMem
In trunk linux-arm console applications simply run, but don't show whatever configuration you use. So for that I use Geany for console apps.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

balazsszekely

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 10:05:10 am »
In trunk linux-arm console applications simply run, but don't show whatever configuration you use. So for that I use Geany for console apps.
Under linux, just open the Terminal Output(View-->Debug Windows-->Terminal Output).

Thaddy

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 10:17:39 am »
Nope. Trunk from today..  does NOT work. 'Cause it is about running without debugger ...(compiles, executes, no show)
It only works with debug settings... and it is a regression. (For average readers: it is linux-arm only, it seems, RPi 3 available for developers for free if needed.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:23:00 am by Thaddy »

balazsszekely

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 10:23:28 am »
@Thaddy
It works fine for me. You should debug it. Put a breakpoint at line 4295($LazarusDir/IDE/main.pp) and find out why it fails.

Thaddy

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 10:28:56 am »
will do. report back later. (note I always debug by default, this is *without* debug info)

balazsszekely

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 10:36:52 am »
@Thaddy
will do. report back later. (note I always debug by default, this is *without* debug info)
Ok, I see. Then go to line 7060. I believe this will be an issue with FPC, somewhere in Process.Execute method.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:38:57 am by GetMem »

Thaddy

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 02:27:47 pm »
Ok.
(For average readers: the compiled result is OK and will work, nothing wrong with that. Just "show in the IDE" is an issue)
Again: busy investigating

TinyPortal © 2005-2018