Recent

Author Topic: Why Packages are Static Linked!?  (Read 3751 times)

systemdesigner

• First Design, Last Make
Why Packages are Static Linked!?
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:51:57 pm »
Hello, I am very new for the forum.
During th last 2-3 years, I have heard and tried Lazarus w/ FPC. I had Delphi past, starting from v6. I think, Lazarus started off with it also. I can say it could be a good alternative to all other popular langs those Java, C#, C++, Ambercedoro X?, Ruby, etc... ıt needs just a little bit energy, horsepower, what else. I see Lazarus as a train running to the future. It has the abilities for being a platform which builds corporate-scaled information systems. I see a chronic problem on the way is "static unit/package linking". Delphi had done a method "LoadPackage" many years ago! Then this made it a corporate system builder. When I add a package to Lazarus ide, it builds itself and restart. Who designed or decided this model!? Or what about "LoadPackage" on runtime!? Corporate systems must consist of building blocks, what about Lazarus or its products? How could the designers make it such "static"!? Lazarus runs to the future, but designers on the train, runs to the past!? This century of information, everything becomes like a "lego" part; plug or remove and play; so why not Lazarus!? It supports platforms and systems much than its competitor alternatives do... It has the chance to become the best, it needs its designers to run with it to the future. Thanks.
"Lazarus w/ FPC: Write Once, Compile Anywhere"

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: Why Packages are Static Linked!?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:25:41 am »
There is currently a lot of effort to mitigate that issue.
That's not easy. The way Delphi does it is patented. Even MS code doesn't come close to that.
As I understand it, compiler devs are really making an effort to implement a similar approach without infringing that patent(s).

Note that in principle you can already compile shared code into a shared library on most platforms FPC supports.
Note that NONE of the languages you mention have a truly two way integrated and synchronized solution between visual design and sourcecode.
They say they have, but that's a big commercial for something that isn't there...
Only Delphi and Lazarus have that - the component model. Delphi in a dynamic way, Lazarus will have that too in the future.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:34:51 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 08:47:59 am »
(personally, , I rather keep the current way. I install a package much less often than I start lazarus and Delphi's relative slow start is due to packages.

I don't see that much advantage in dynamic packages in the IDE anyway. Delphi chose that way because the Lazarus way is not feasible for a closed source project.

For own modular projects I can imagine some use, but not for the IDE. See also http://wiki.freepascal.org/packages#Lazarus_and_Library_packages for some more discussion (most notably the versioning paragraph))

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:51:28 am by marcov »

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 10:43:26 am »
I fully agree. It may also lead to the misgiven "compile with packages" option hell. Frankly I am also Ok with how it is now. As you write: you do not install/uninstall packages on a daily basis.
Specialize a type, not a var.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 02:30:50 pm »
Corporate systems must consist of building blocks, what about Lazarus or its products? How could the designers make it such "static"!?
That is exact first thought of almost everyone comming from the Delphi world, including myself. However, you should think about this for a moment. Delphi had releases about once a year. And all component vendors had to update their components for each version they wanted to support. We all remember trouble even when we had a source but our Delphi version didn't match versions supported by component creator. Even service packs on Delphi were rare because you would also need to support each service pack with your component. Also, as a component creator this, besides lots of work, would mean that you would need to buy and own each Delphi version you wish to support. That was too much for many component creators and only big ones followed this model. Now imagine Lazarus. Current official version is 1.6.4. Before that were 1.6.2 and 1.6.0 and soon 1.8.0 will follow. Besides this, Lazarus and FPC developers have trunk versions built on a daily bases, and these are a moving target which really can't be followed by the Delphi model you wish for. At best only official versions can be supported. People are working on such feature and that is going to happen. However it is going to be of limited use, since all bugs solving is happening in trunk. And believe me, you will want to be involved in that sooner or later. Either as a developer or at least as a tester of the bug you reported or a feature you asked for. That power is not available in Delphi. And it never will be. Period.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 02:39:20 pm by avra »
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

systemdesigner

• First Design, Last Make
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 10:42:42 pm »
Hello Marcov, Thaddy an Avra. Nice to meet you. Thank you for your serious answers.

Maybe, I had to write or move this subject, into "About Lazarus Packages and External Libraries"
under "Programming - Packages and Libraries" or under the FPC Compiler subjects.

Lazarus programmers may handle and suffer those package or ide compile stuffs on development.
Building a product has more important stuffs, like run-time package loadings. Modern softwares,
especially Lazarus products, should be modular also. Run-time package/module loading-unloading
becomes a huge need. Current model, ide or fpc needs packages as "static-loaded" in compile time.

Unfortunately, this causes the compiled product to enlarge the file size. Let's say, we have a package
for run-time loading with lighter-sized main program, ie a module. Your codes will run with the units
in the package. Compiler must access the units in the package and checks the object and method
integrity/harmony.

To succeed this issue, in the project inspector, developer can add those run-time external packages
to the "Required Packages" group or to a new group "Run-Time Packages". Compiler will see
the needed packages to simulate the environment as-if it is on run-time. Compiled native product
may include the units in "required packages" but will exclude the ones in "run-time packages".

Furthermore, those run-time packages also have to be compiled separately to native binary files
for the target platform. Main program "assumes" compiled binaries of those external packages,
located in the right directory; either in the same directory or in a directory written in an .ini file.

Delphi had some methods in the projects for run-time packages:
function LoadPackage(const Name: string): HMODULE;
procedure UnloadPackage(Module: HMODULE);
function GetClass(const AClassName: string): TPersistentClass;
procedure RegisterClass(AClass: TPersistentClass);
procedure UnRegisterClass(AClass: TPersistentClass);

Lazarus/fpc designers could add same methods also. They can make Lazarus/fpc "an invention"
which can build modern and corporate-scaled softwares of the future. I imagine this. Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:04:25 pm by systemdesigner »
"Lazarus w/ FPC: Write Once, Compile Anywhere"

TinyPortal © 2005-2018