Recent

Author Topic: What graphics engine could achieve this ?  (Read 18101 times)

Akira1364

Re: What graphics engine could achieve this ?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 12:10:08 am »
- Edit: The reason for ZenGL's poor performance compare to CGE, despite all the "bloat" CGE has, is because ZenGL still use OpenGL immediate mode for rendering i.e. by calling hundred thousands of glVertexXX/glTexCoordXX/glColorXX commands per frame. This cause a huge performance impact on the test.

That's exactly what I've been trying to point out the whole time! Nice demos, also.

turrican

• Pascal is my life.
    • Homepage
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 03:45:00 pm »
I have a framework to simplify and abstract ZenGL called SimpleZenGL . Features are OOP, Scenes, SpriteBatches, Collisions, Events, Input and Sound.

I can't find SimpleZenGL on the web. May you share it?

Andru, ZenGL author is a great developer. But his words aren't justificated... He lost the interest for this project (dot). W
ith Pascal you can do almost everything you can do in C, C++ with a 5% to 20% of speed lose. For 2D games with OpenGL or DX Pascal is more than suficient.

Here is Hadoko :) https://github.com/turric4n/SimpleZGL

He said that in 2013. Perhaps at that moment, it was the bad time for Pascal. Now, Lazarus and Free Pascal has improved a lot, the community is strong. Delphi Berlin Starter is offered for free with limited commercial usage. Things are better now.

BASIC was my first programming language. Soon I found it was too slow. So I spent some time learning Assembly using debug.com. I am glad I found Pascal, it is a good balance between power and performance.

michalis

• Castle Game Engine
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 03:10:24 am »
Hi everyone,

As for automatic batching in Castle Game Engine: Indeed, it is just not yet implemented (yet). It's on the Castle Game Engine roadmap :) In the meantime, you can indeed do it yourself, with a bit of code. Typically it means you will put multiple geometries inside a single IndexedFaceSet X3D node, instead of creating many IndexedFaceSet X3D nodes. Demo from Kagamma nicely shows this technique, using TCastleSpriteBatchScene in demo_sprite.

P.S. Various optimization hints for CGE are mentioned in our manual :)

BTW, @Kagamma, I would happily take your demo_sprite code and add it to the CGE examples directory. It's a very nice example. Are you OK with this? It would mean placing the code under https://castle-engine.sourceforge.io/license.php . (I'm not sure about the license of miku.png image, but if needed replacing it with something else is easy.)

ykot

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 04:12:55 am »
Platform eXtended Library supports automatic sprite batching.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018