Forum > Networking and Web Programming

[solved]Sent mails with Xmailer don`t create sent items on server folder?

(1/1)

SunyD:
Hello,
I am using Silvios Xmailer to send mails. The mails are sent and the receiver gets them but there is no send item entry on the mail server for this mails, does anyone knows why?

When I send email with Thunbird or Macos-Mailprogramm then I can see the mails on the server in sent box but only the mails sent by xmail hav not send entry.
Is this happens only to me or has anyone same eror?

Thank for the answers.

Leledumbo:
Saving a copy of sent mail is not part of the (open standard) mail protocol. Apart from sending mail to destination, email clients does additonal "sending" (store on local storage in case of POP, and send to "sent" folder in server in case of IMAP).

Remy Lebeau:

--- Quote from: Soner A. on June 21, 2017, 10:25:46 pm ---I am using Silvios Xmailer to send mails. The mails are sent and the receiver gets them but there is no send item entry on the mail server for this mails, does anyone knows why?

--- End quote ---

Because the SMTP protocol has no concept of such things.  If the SMTP server does not automatically save a copy of sent emails in the sender's folder, Xmailer would have to manually connect to the provider's IMAP server and place a copy of sent emails in the appropriate folder.  XMailer is just a simple SMTP implementation, so it would not do that extra IMAP step.  A full featured email program normally would.

--- Quote from: Soner A. on June 21, 2017, 10:25:46 pm ---When I send email with Thunbird or Macos-Mailprogramm then I can see the mails on the server in sent box

--- End quote ---

I can't speak for MacOS, but Thunderbird has a configuration that tells it which remote folder to place sent emails in, and it is usually smart enough to figure out what those folders are by default (but you can also change the configuration if desired).

--- Quote from: Soner A. on June 21, 2017, 10:25:46 pm ---but only the mails sent by xmail hav not send entry.

--- End quote ---

Then XMailer is not saving a copy of sent emails via IMAP, which makes sense for an SMTP-only implementation.

SunyD:
@Leledumbo, @Remy Lebeau:
Thank you very much for the explanations about SMTP and IMAP protocol. I did not know this, I thought server makes it automatic.
I used before MAPI-sendmail.  I use it in my program to send pdf-invoices. Thanks again.

SunyD:
If someone has same problem:
The simplest solution is sending the mails to sender adress as bcc, after that configure the mail server to move this mails to sent folder.
same procedure like junk mail filter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version