Recent

Author Topic: Turbo Pascal syntax  (Read 4569 times)

CitoplasmaX

Turbo Pascal syntax
« on: June 17, 2017, 03:02:35 am »
Is Turbo Pascal syntax compatible with Free Pascal?

RAW

Re: Turbo Pascal syntax
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 03:12:32 am »
Yes and no, it depends on the compiler setting: use {$MODE TP} and see for yourself... trial and error  :)

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Mode_TP
Windows 7 Pro (x64 Sp1) & Windows XP Pro (x86 Sp3).

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 11:15:48 am »
Is Turbo Pascal syntax compatible with Free Pascal?

Free Pascal is fairly compatible with TP, but FPC adds so much that TP only supports a small subset of what FPC supports.

The only limitations I know with TP compatibility is exploitation of internal details and OS (read dos) related details.

But the dos targets implement those OS details, too for a large part.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:17:31 am by marcov »

CitoplasmaX

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 08:59:42 pm »
I recently found a book in the library about Turbo Pascal. I currently use Trisquel GNU/Linux and I love free software, I also know that Turbo Pascal is from the past era and it was private (I'm not using it with dosbox or anything) but, I take advantage of this manual that has attracted Pascal so much to start me in the same and so, later go looking at the Free Pascal guides to learn that implements said compiler and get programs to take advantage of Free Pascal to the maximum in Pascal to then ascend to Object Pascal and do the same.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:02:53 pm by CitoplasmaX »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 09:26:13 pm »
Such a book will be fine to get started. Skip the parts that are too tied to Dos and the 16-bit memory model.

But for basic procedural pascal it will be fine.  Some of the "mastering Delphi" books, specially the older ones are also nice.

CitoplasmaX

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 02:35:03 am »
Sure, I've already looked at the parts about memory management in DOS and on the same system to know what I should skip. Regarding to delphi I just have a book of Object Pascal in PDF format that comments its use the delphi and I will try adapta for use in Lazarus and Free Pascal.

CitoplasmaX

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 02:35:29 am »
Thanks you marcov and RAW.

bee

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 08:24:46 am »
If you just need to learn classic Pascal a.k.a procedural Pascal, you may want to try Pascal N-IDE for Android too. It's a Pascal interpreter actually, build using Java. An open source project too, with some (planned) paid features coming in the future. Using the app you can learn Pascal on the go using your smartphone.

The future version will support modern Pascal as well, of course. The developer said he's now still learning to implement modern Pascal into its interpreter. The amazing thing is, this app is developed solely by a teenage boy from Vietnam. Quite a remarkable achievement for his age, I think.
-Bee-

A long time pascal lover.

CitoplasmaX

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:59:44 am »
Thanks you, bee.

CitoplasmaX

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 02:03:02 am »
I think that Pascal N-IDE should be added into a F-Droid repository.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018