Recent

Author Topic: I can't post on mailing lists  (Read 10328 times)

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: I can't post on mailing lists
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 09:30:07 pm »
In the Netherlands, Ziggo (UPC) usually cleans up the offending IP for you when you call customer support  and will contact spamhaus that action has been taken.
As I suspected, there is one serious spammer in that IP block. Can be you, can be someone else in the same /24 range.(That's the resolution, it also means the spammer is likely in your immediate physical neighborhood, given the way UPC configures their infrastructure. At least on cable. Note this is not always the case, but likely the case...)
Spammer can also be read as a hacked computer....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:41:07 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

Péter Gábor

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 08:17:26 am »
I took a look at  https://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/+176.63.29.7 and yes the IP that was shown  below my previous posts is listed in some sections there.
Clicking at CBL (http://www.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=176.63.29.7) shows that I have "Conficker" which is a windows worm, but I have no windows behind my router since more that 10 years.
Also they say that I must use "SMTP Authentication", but UPC's SMTP server does not require this if I access it via their cable modem.

Wow... my IP address now differs from the one that I had yesterday. My cable modem was not turned of and regularly it is always on.

+ I wrote to UPC about that the IP I have/had is listed on some anti-spam sites, but they did not reply yet.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:24:14 am by Péter Gábor »

Thaddy

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 09:04:08 am »
Wow... my IP address now differs from the one that I had yesterday. My cable modem was not turned of and regularly it is always on.
You already got your reply... UPC changed the IP for you  :D Most likely because of your report. Not because your modem was off.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:07:10 am by Thaddy »

Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 09:31:15 am »
For a more complete overview, you can check here
http://www.dnsbl.info/dnsbl-database-check.php
(note that we only use a few lists)

While yesterday the checked IP was on XBL, it seems clean (regarding xbl) now.  So issues are reasonably fast resolved

//--
{$I stdsig.inc}
//-I still can't read someones mind
//-Bugs reported here will be forgotten. Use the bug tracker

Péter Gábor

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 08:58:09 pm »
Quote from: noreply@upc.hu
We checked your IP and found that your modem has got IPV6 address at least one month ago, which is now _____________________.
It is possible that some websites detects it as IPV4 address and gives false information about your IP.
To avoid mailing issue we enabled external SMTP access, in 24 hours, if our service made the SMTP problem, this will be stopped.
With this mail we close the issue.
Now SMTP does not work (timeout error)... great!

Testing IPv6 results (errors only):
- IPv6 DNS record - ERROR
- Internet Service Provider  IPv6 DNS test - ERROR
- Find IPv6 Service Provider - ERROR

Spot that they wont communicate more about this "norepy"...

Thaddy

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:31 pm »
Well. I can feed that Hungarian reply to UPC support in the Netherlands (Now marketed as Ziggo). I know for sure they will be ROTFL. That's incompetence.
But you seem also incompetent to solve it. I can give you a email server from me (with a honeypot) for a few days, just to determine if your statements are all true.
I still believe YOU are hacked and YOU have a worm. It is not Windows specific as you previously stated.
If you want that test...Feel free to ask and I will set it up at one of my servers. I am CEH certified. Just in case.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:28:41 pm by Thaddy »

Péter Gábor

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 12:20:22 pm »
Hi!
Thanks for your support! ;)

Today I called UPC directly to talk with them about all of my issues in the last few days.
When they were understanding my problem (the old one and the new with smtp), they asked me to wait a few minutes while cleaning up / review the configurations on their side (as I see they removed IPv6 address from my modem, and maybe done something else). %)
Now my SMTP access is back again, my "teszt 4" e-mail arrived to the mailing list without error.

Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 10:55:38 am »
Hi.... your remark about IPv6 gave me a clue, together with my own recent UPC modem upgrade / rollback

In some regions, UPC is rolling out upgrades / new users with something called ds-lite. This means that the modems on WAN side only talk IPv6 and all IPv4 traffic is "tunneled" to some border router which establishes your IPv4 connection, using a pool of IPv4 adresses. Effectively any UPC user, spammer or not is using those addresses, causing your problems.
By requesting to remove IPv6, your modem will get your own "unique" IPv4 address.
//--
{$I stdsig.inc}
//-I still can't read someones mind
//-Bugs reported here will be forgotten. Use the bug tracker

TinyPortal © 2005-2018