* * *

Author Topic: editor tool tips.  (Read 1342 times)

taazz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4414
editor tool tips.
« on: June 01, 2017, 01:36:01 am »
After the move to C# in my day job, I spend more and more time on visual studio this days. When I get back, to code with lazarus, I was really irritated, long story short, the major pain in my existence is the code tool tips. Visual studio show them under the line that I'm editing while lazarus shows them over that line, since most of the times I'm following a top down development ee the code I'm working with is on the top of the line I'm working with, the tool tips hides the code I'm interested in, so instead of being helpfull it becomes a constant obstruction.

Is it possible to change the placement and if not what do I need to do to change that in lazarus 1.4.4?

Thank you for any hints.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

OS : Windows 7 64 bit
Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Ondrej Pokorny

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 184
Re: editor tool tips.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:44:24 am »
You cannot do it. It is easy to change the position, thought.

IMO it's above the current line in order both the tooltip and code insight window can be shown simultaneously.

Ñuño_Martínez

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 651
    • Burdjia
Re: editor tool tips.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:51:43 am »
Actually it is possible... if you change Lazarus (or SynEdit) sources and compile it. ;)

I think an option to select how tooltips and auto-complete hints are rendered are a great addition. May be you can suggest a change to the development team, or made the change by yourself and send a patch for evaluation. I suggest you to do the suggestion because I never used VS so I have no idea how it would look as.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:53:45 am by Ñuño_Martínez »

taazz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4414
Re: editor tool tips.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:32 pm »
You cannot do it. It is easy to change the position, thought.
thank you for the confirmation. It is good to know I did not miss anything.
IMO it's above the current line in order both the tooltip and code insight window can be shown simultaneously.
I guess it depends on how often the tool tip is visible with the insight window. If for example 90% of the time the tool tip is visible the insight window is also open then that is valid choice if on the other hand its 10% then not so much, in my case I have begun to sync pressing esc with the time it takes to show the window which is a problem.

Actually it is possible... if you change Lazarus (or SynEdit) sources and compile it. ;)
Any hints where to start looking?
I think an option to select how tooltips and auto-complete hints are rendered are a great addition. May be you can suggest a change to the development team, or made the change by yourself and send a patch for evaluation. I suggest you to do the suggestion because I never used VS so I have no idea how it would look as.
I agree but my little free time is already spend elsewhere at the moment. I might add a feature request in the issue tracker but I can't promise it, feel free to do so your self just inform us in case I decide to spend some time to avoid duplications.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

OS : Windows 7 64 bit
Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Martin_fr

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4381
    • wiki
Re: editor tool tips.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 03:27:26 pm »
start in ide/SourceEditor.pp

Search for hint, but several hints go through there.

You can then use breakpoints to see where they are called from.

Ondrej Pokorny

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 184
Re: editor tool tips.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 07:12:47 pm »
Any hints where to start looking?

As usual: debug the IDE, place a breakpoint on TCustomForm.DoShow or THintWindow.ActivateHint, execute the smart hint tooltip and you are just there. Easy.

taazz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4414
Re: editor tool tips.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:59:32 pm »
thank you every one I have my starting point.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

OS : Windows 7 64 bit
Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Ñuño_Martínez

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 651
    • Burdjia
Re: editor tool tips.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 09:32:11 am »
(...) May be you can suggest a change to the development team (...)
I did some searching but I can't find where to do such suggestion. %) I'll join to mailing lists this afternoon.

 

Recent

Get Lazarus at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Open Hub project report for Lazarus