Recent

Author Topic: How to run an application with GUI built using lazarus on a pure linux system?  (Read 4344 times)

sainimu78

How to run an application with GUI built using lazarus on a pure linux system(not Ubuntu or others with graphical) ?
I mean the GUI of the application still works.

mangakissa

Linux itself is not pure at all. It's distracted from original BSD unix systems.
What do you mean pure linux? A server based system?
If there's no GUI installed, the required libraries called by your graphical application, can not be accessed and your app will fail.

While want you run a GUI app on a console? Did you try it? 
Lazarus 2.06 (64b) / FPC 3.0.4 / Windows 10
stucked on Delphi 10.3.1

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
There is no such system. Linux has no GUI tied subsystem whatsoever. Moreover, even if X11 / Wayland server is installed, LCL currently doesn't have such a backend. Your best bet (with either of those server installed) is to use fpGUI / mseGUI which links directly to Xlib.

mig-31

Obviously, to run GUI apllication on Linux you need X11 and qt/gtk libraries (without desktop KDE, GNOME etc. )

If you want to run GUI application on server side from remote machine througth ssh, on server side your need xlib (I think, google it) and on remote machine X11 and qt/gtk libraries. 
Lazarus 2.2.6 - OpenSuse Leap 15.4, Mageia 8, CentOS 7

sainimu78

Will these GUI libraries or services bring some bad effects for the system? reducing performance?

mangakissa

What do you really want? Running GUI application remote like XDesktop.
You still have X11 installed to run it remotely.

Please tell you purposes.
Lazarus 2.06 (64b) / FPC 3.0.4 / Windows 10
stucked on Delphi 10.3.1

Akira1364

There's no such thing as a "pure Linux system." What distribution are you specifically talking about?

jc99

• My private Site
Will these GUI libraries or services bring some bad effects for the system? reducing performance?
No, a library is just a library they take place of cause, but no performance, if you don't call routines from them.
services (on unix you call them daemons) are something else.

But what exactly are you talking about ?
Please make an example.
Are you talking about compile a program in lazarus, and then run it on a minimalist system ?
Are you talking about console-apps ?
A funny thing is to have a program that probes if there is a X-System and otherwise uses FV to do the same things in a console.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:00:58 am by jc99 »
OS: Win XP x64, Win 7, Win 7 x64, Win 10, Win 10 x64, Suse Linux 13.2
Laz: 1.4 - 1.8.4, 2.0
https://github.com/joecare99/public
'~|    /''
,_|oe \_,are
If you want to do something for the environment: Twitter: #reduceCO2 or
https://www.betterplace.me/klimawandel-stoppen-co-ueber-preis-reduzieren

TinyPortal © 2005-2018