Recent

Author Topic: Compile error on FPC trunk  (Read 9732 times)

jblain

Compile error on FPC trunk
« on: May 26, 2017, 02:06:05 pm »
Hello

I always do my fpc//lazarus work on the trunk (bleading edge) version. Every few days, I download the latest source code and then build everything anew using the same shell script.

Using the latest stable release on FPC (3.02) I recompile and build the latest trunk version of FPC (3.1.1). Then using the 3.1.1 coompiler I build and install the latest trunk version of Lazarus.

This has worked flawlessly for months. But for the last few days I geta  compilation errors upon compiling FPC 3.1.1 with FPC 3.02 (see below). Is anyone else having this problem ??

Regards

J Blain

/usr/bin/ppcx64 -Ur -Ur -Xs -O2 -n -Fi../inc -Fi../x86_64 -Fi../unix -Fix86_64 -FE. -FU/home/jblain/lfs/installedfromsources/fpc/fpc.trunk/rtl/units/x86_64-linux -Cg -dx86_64 -dRELEASE -Fi../objpas/classes ../unix/classes.pp
classesh.inc(290,39) Error: Identifier not found "TFPCList"
classes.pp(38,1) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
Fatal: Compilation aborted
make[7]: *** [Makefile:3786: classes.ppu] Error 1
make[7]: Leaving directory '/home/jblain/lfs/installedfromsources/fpc/fpc.trunk/rtl/linux'
make[6]: *** [Makefile:2000: linux_all] Error 2
make[6]: Leaving directory '/home/jblain/lfs/installedfromsources/fpc/fpc.trunk/rtl'
make[5]: *** [Makefile:4333: rtl] Error 2
make[5]: Leaving directory '/home/jblain/lfs/installedfromsources/fpc/fpc.trunk/compiler'
make[4]: *** [Makefile:4210: next] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/jblain/lfs/installedfromsources/fpc/fpc.trunk/compiler'
make[3]: *** [Makefile:4215: ppc1] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/jblain/lfs/installedfromsources/fpc/fpc.trunk/compiler'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:4227: cycle] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jblain/lfs/installedfromsources/fpc/fpc.trunk/compiler'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:2912: compiler_cycle] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jblain/lfs/installedfromsources/fpc/fpc.trunk'
make: *** [Makefile:2944: build-stamp.x86_64-linux] Error 2

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Compile error on FPC trunk
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 11:44:31 pm »
Well, strictly speaking, there's no guarantee that every commit is compilable (committers did mistake sometimes). You're just out of luck. Since there's possibly infinitely many commits a day, if one doesn't work, try a few seconds later. For that matter, I suggest using svn if you haven't. That would save you a lot of time and bandwidth.

jblain

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 01:08:07 pm »
Hello

I am using svn and I usually do one recompile every day. I have been doing so for many months and I ran into this kind of problem once before but it was corrected within the same day by the committer. This time, using svn to update the source code has failed to compile Lazarus (fpc trunk is recompilable) for over a week on a daily basis...

Something is definately broken with the trunk for Lazarus vs the trunk for the FPC compiler...

Cyrax

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09:38:46 pm »
Please clean up your FPC/Lazarus source code directories and retry. If problem persist then fiddle with compiler options, especially optimization switches (my recommendation is to disable it : -O-).

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:45:03 pm »
Something is definately broken with the trunk for Lazarus vs the trunk for the FPC compiler...
I'm usually the one who reports that when happened. I guess most if not all Lazarus committers use stable FPC as that's what Lazarus is advertised to support. The point is it could go broken anytime unnoticed, which won't get fixed if no one reports, so please do so (don't forget the "steps to reproduce").

jblain

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 01:31:31 pm »
Do you have a link explaining the best way to report such a problem ? I will do it with pleasure

Regards

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 03:48:11 pm »
You are doing alright.

Post it here first, we direct you to the bug tracker if it is a real bug.

It is not enough that you think it is a bug and post it directly on the bug tracker.

Even I make that mistake over and over again and I am only using the language about 40+ years and FreePascal since its first major public version.
Specialize a type, not a var.

jblain

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 01:23:35 pm »
Ok,

So I am trying to do the following :

First , as usual, I make sure I have a stable FPC compiler with which to build the trunk version. In my case

Free Pascal Compiler version 3.0.2 [2017/02/16] for x86_64
Copyright (c) 1993-2017 by Florian Klaempfl and others

Secondly, I update the trunk version of FPC (3.1.1) from the development repository.  As usual I just go to the source directory and do svn update. This works as usual and tells me I am at  revision 36376 (as of this morning)

Thirdly I just try to rebuil the source code by typing : make clean all

At that point the update source code usually compiles correctly. But for more that a week it fails. Here is a complete transcript of the output from make clean all in attachement.

Hope this can help fix this problem

Regards

molly

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 01:46:44 pm »
@jblain
I'm rather mystified by that error.

classesh.inc(290,39) Error: Identifier not found "TFPCList"
classes.pp(38,1) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
Fatal: Compilation aborted
See inside classesh.inc from trunk yourself.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 02:31:38 pm »
Well there is a bug,Molly:
There were 1 errors
Even google does better than that.....
Specialize a type, not a var.

molly

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 02:46:27 pm »
@Thaddy:
The idea there was to let TS do the thinking, not you or me.

@TS: look at the line numbers, compare them with trunk and do the math.

jblain

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 01:26:01 pm »
3.1.1 Compiler rebuild still fails as of this morning in the same way.

Is this confirmed by any one else or am I the only one with this problem ?

molly

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 01:38:13 pm »
No thinking at all then.

Your files do not match up with those from trunk so how would anyone that uses trunk files have the same problem as you ?

I am not saying that it is you at fault perse, for all i know your local svn copy is borked. but seeing a error that want a class that does not exist at all in whole of FPC tree i can only suspect that you have modified things manually or that your make process is incorporating files from somewhere else.

Always make sure to clean up your tree before doing a build.

edit:
If all else fails then download a copy from github here, unpack the zip file and try to build that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:46:50 pm by molly »

bytebites

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 02:14:41 pm »
What does svn diff say?

jblain

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 02:23:04 pm »
OK,

So if I am the only one with this problem there has to be something broken in my svn checkouts....

I never make any changes to either FPC or Lazarus trunk source file. I only svn update and then rebuild using a script that has not changed for more that a year. I guess I will just kill my current checkouts and redo a fresh checkout to see if that fixes the problem

TinyPortal © 2005-2018