Recent

Author Topic: Updating issue?  (Read 4380 times)

KarenT

Updating issue?
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:11:08 pm »
Hi, another newbie question. Searched but the answer eludes me.

I have 1.6.2 installed and noticed there is a 1.6.4.

Should I install on top or un-install 1.6.2 first?

I will make a full image backup before doing either, just to be cautious. But, I am having a weird crash that might be fixed with the update. I would like to give 1.6.4 a try before bothering the good folk here with the weird-crash details.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Updating issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:35:43 pm »
You should uninstall 1.6.2 (also the FPC). If you want to use multiple versions of Lazarus, you use fpcupdeluxe.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/fpcupdeluxe

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:39:31 pm »
First:
My personal preference is to uninstall first.
But there is not only a 1.6.4. there is also a 1.8 release candidate so you would be updating for the short term.
I would wait until 1.8. is released.
Second:
Often the FPC release is more important than the Lazarus release from a language point of view, certainly if you are coming from Delphi, like you.
Make sure you are using a current release. Bottom line is version 3.0.2.
Third:
1.6.2 is *way* past its sell-by date, so upgrade once 1.8 is released. I would allow for a couple of weeks of patience in your case. And play with 1.8 RC in a separate install.
Specialize a type, not a var.

Thaddy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 07:42:39 pm »
You should uninstall 1.6.2 (also the FPC). If you want to use multiple versions of Lazarus, you use fpcupdeluxe.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/fpcupdeluxe

You'll end up with completely non-standard install paths on Windows, Linux and BSD's, though. (I have a MAC mini but didn't try it on that)
If that is not a problem then yes, it is a good option.
I can not recommend it if you want a clean, standards compliant, install path and file system.
But it works mostly as advertised, apart from non-standard paths.
So if you are under the prying eyes of a systems administrator it may be a futile effort.
(Yes, I would make it a futile effort... 8-) and force you on a separate virtual machine. Which is good practice anyway, nowadays )
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:52:01 pm by Thaddy »

Handoko

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:51:38 pm »
So, you meant it has disadvantage of using fpcupdeluxe?

I heard some recommend it. I personally never tried fpcupdeluxe, I use stable version and I am happy with it.

Thaddy

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 07:57:28 pm »
So, you meant it has disadvantage of using fpcupdeluxe?

I heard some recommend it. I personally never tried fpcupdeluxe, I use stable version and I am happy with it.
I use it all the time for secondary platforms. It is really good. But it also has nasty habits.
The most irritating one (at any given point in time) it calls itself an installer but doesn't know where to install according to the rules.
But if you are a god to your own infrastructure it is very,very good and getting better all the time.
Just don't expect that an install ends up under /usr or c:\program files..... It won't do that automatically.

To me that's a major draw-back. But anyway, virtual machines are cheap and - almost - just as fast as real hardware nowadays on x86_64 machines with hardware virtualization support.

For beginners and programmers without a professional connection (team) it is also -highly - recommended by me!  O:-)
But it is not a professional installer for professional systems. Even if the code is professionally written  ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:03:05 pm by Thaddy »

Handoko

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 08:02:47 pm »
Do you think that flaw can be fixed? If yes, maybe you can write the suggestion to the developer.

Thaddy

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 08:04:01 pm »
Do you think that flaw can be fixed? If yes, maybe you can write the suggestion to the developer.
I think I made that point to Alfred before... It should not come as anything new...
Technically it can be done, but OTOH there are many things that would make that a lot more difficult to do (rights, packaging, platforms) and the current situation works.

Anyway. A professional should know how to build from source and install properly anyway.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:37:07 pm by Thaddy »

KarenT

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 08:46:55 pm »
Thanks everyone, I had actually tried a clean install of 1.8 on my 16.04-LTS I am testing (main PC is 14.04-LTS) at the moment, but it kept complaining "Failed to Link during Build" and I could not get an IDE to play with.

After the install it showed the panel with all the file locations and all five tabs (six?) showed "OK" so the install was good. I will sit on my hands for a while on 1.8.

I guess I'd better stay with 1.6.2 and describe the weird crash in another new thread then. :D

Thaddy

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 08:51:31 pm »
Note that you should also check your /etc directory and delete any fpc.cfg or lazarus.cfg from there.

Handoko

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 09:03:00 pm »
@KarenT

You should try Lazarus 1.6.4. It works, although I have some minor issues with it.

If you want to do clean removing/installation, this is how I do it:

01. Uninstall lazarus, fpc, fpc-src
02. Delete ~/.lazarus, except: editoroptions, environmentoption
03. Delete /etc/fp.*
04. Delete /usr/share/fpcsrc
05. Delete /usr/lib/fpc
06. Delete /usr/bin/ppc*
07. Install fpc_3.0.2-170225_amd64.deb
08. Install fpc-src_3.0.2-170225_amd64.deb
09. Install lazarus-project_1.6.4-0_amd64.deb

Note:
- I keep editoroptions and environmentoption (step 02) because I want to keep settings I have made on Lazarus.
- The deb files' names (step 07, 08, 09) may be different.

You can get the installation files (3 deb files) from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Linux%20amd64%20DEB/Lazarus%201.6.4/

Thaddy

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 09:30:30 pm »
@KarenT

You should try Lazarus 1.6.4. It works, although I have some minor issues with it.
Uhhmmm.... No. Not yet, not if you just started to port stuff.
Yes it works. But don't do a re-install yet. If you are porting serious stuff from Delphi, wait for 1.8 with fpc 3.0.2
Or test a setup with 1.6.4 and at least fpc 3.0.2 in a virtual machine.

Note that the FPC version is at least as important as the Lazarus version if not more important.

KarenT

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 12:54:55 am »
OK, thanks, I will stay with 1.6.2 with the weird crash issue. I wonder if the crash is a Ubuntu thing, I was using Mint, but dropped back to Ubuntu a day or so back as it was even more problematic in Mint.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018