Recent

Author Topic: Problem opening TOpenDialog ion Windows 10  (Read 3881 times)

marven

Problem opening TOpenDialog ion Windows 10
« on: March 28, 2017, 04:20:14 pm »
Hello all,

I'm new to the Lazarus IDE but very impressed so far.
I have been programming in Delphi fulltime professionally ever since Delphi 1.0 but very recently decided to abandon ship as the latest Delphi IDE is riddled with bugs that prevents my company from using it at all. Embarcadero seems to have no interest in fixing these, despite our maintenance plan subscription.

So far our background. We have initially decided to convert our main program (1.000.000+ lines of code) from Delphi to Lazarus as a test. While doing this I was very surprised to have a rough version (without GUI) up and running within a day.
As the conversion went so smoothly we have now decided to just stick with Lazarus and start converting the entire program as we can't afford ourselves to be dependent from a company as Embarcadero.

While doing so I'm running into the problem that 9 out of 10 times when I open the TOpenDialog when running from the IDE, the program freezes. It's running and opening OK when run as a standalone.

I know this has been documented here:http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips#On_Windows_Open.2FSave.2FFile_or_System_Dialog_cause_gdb_to_crash but I've tried both "alternative" GDB versions available at the moment (7.7.1 and 7.2.1) which didn't help. Also setting the field "DisableLoadSymbolsForLibraries" to "True"  did not help.

Is there anyone else experiencing this problem or have a suggestion to solve this? It kind of makes debugging the program almost impossible.
I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts about this.

We are running Lazarus version 1.6.4 on Windows 10/64 bit.
FPC version 3.0.2
SVN Revision 54278

Ondrej Pokorny

Re: Problem opening TOpenDialog ion Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 07:23:02 pm »
If nothing helps, use ofOldStyleDialog in DEBUG mode. (Dirty&stupid workaround but better than nothing...)

Just in case: try Lazarus trunk as well. 1.6.x branch is already old and trunk has many improvements.

marven

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 04:29:11 pm »
Thanks ondrejpokorny!

Using the old style dialog works, although very ugly 8)
I'll try tomorrow to install the latest trunc. I haven't done this before in Lazarus.
I guess I'll need to install subversion to pull it?

marven

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 07:20:12 pm »
Updating to the latest trunc (version 1.7) solved my issue.
Thanks!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018