Recent

Author Topic: Is StringReplace UTF8?  (Read 4911 times)

Josh

Is StringReplace UTF8?
« on: March 22, 2017, 01:51:12 am »
Hi

Been playing with latest trunk, and am getting a random crash which is pointing to UTFUpCase

I am not calling this anywhere, but I suspect it maybe coming from stringreplace

I have a string that contains binary data; so it can hold chr(0) up to chr(255); I use the stringreplace to replace certain values of the string before it output to a device;
This previously worked fine for many years; but now the routine randomly exits with a sigsev error and stack trace point to utfupcase.

Do any of the standard string routines now only support utf?

Hope that make sense.
The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

Girlbrush

Re: Is StringReplace UTF8?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 08:43:51 am »
AFAIK, Strings are considered UTF8.

This might be relevant to you: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_with_FPC3.0_without_UTF-8_mode

Although it might be better to not use String functions if you aren't actually dealing with Strings ;)
Getting back into programming after 8+ years.

wp

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:19:13 am »
As usual: Post code to demonstrate the issue. It is strange that you see an UTF8-related issue with StringReplace which does not take care of string encoding at all (in my understanding). How is the string declared? What is happening after the StringReplace? Maybe you ended up with byte combinations which represent invalid UTF8 code points and thus cannot be displayed by the LCL?

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:07:47 am »
I have a string that contains binary data; so it can hold chr(0) up to chr(255); I use the stringreplace to replace certain values of the string before it output to a device;
A terrible idea. Use a byte array or TStream to hold your data. The default String type was AnsiString in FPC 2.6.4 and earlier, and I believe it is now UTF-16 in FPC 3.x, so you are going to run into all kinds of problems if you don't change your code.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Cyrax

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:51 am »
A terrible idea. Use a byte array or TStream to hold your data. The default String type was AnsiString in FPC 2.6.4 and earlier, and I believe it is now UTF-16 in FPC 3.x, so you are going to run into all kinds of problems if you don't change your code.

The only difference with 2.6.4 and 3.0.2 AnsiString is support for codepage and conversions between different codepages. And there is no default codepage enabled for FPC, it will use defaults what OS (or user) will tell it to use.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 11:20:31 am »
He declares things as string and should declare it as ansistring in his context and if he uses Lazarus.
And I agree with Graeme that using a string for binary data is and always has been a recipe for disaster.
Replace even the AnsiString with an array of byte.
Specialize a type, not a var.

Remy Lebeau

• Lebeau Software
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 02:19:57 am »
The default String type was AnsiString in FPC 2.6.4 and earlier, and I believe it is now UTF-16 in FPC 3.x

AFAIK, the default string type is still AnsiString unless you use {$MODE DelphiUnicode} or {$MODESWITCH UnicodeStrings}.
Remy Lebeau
Lebeau Software - Owner, Developer
Internet Direct (Indy) - Admin, Developer (Support forum)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018