Recent

Author Topic: Pi AND a bigger PC  (Read 12069 times)

sky_khan

Re: Pi AND a bigger PC
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 08:27:58 pm »
@JuhaManninen
If you did not have to install any 3rd Party software because you already had all you want, it is great but as I said generally there will be no problem on other distros as well if you stick with what they install.
Problems arise when you want to have other than your distro provides. You may need newer or older version of something. Lets suppose you have a very big old Lazarus project but after your regular update Manjaro upgraded Lazarus to 1.6.4 and its dependancy fpc to 3.0.2 automatically and your project is not compiling  anymore. Then what ?

I 've used Slackware, Redhat-Fedora, Debian-Ubuntu-Mint, PCLinuxOS and some others before. None of them was free of dependancy conflicts. I bet you can mess up Manjaro too. Its a Debian derivative too after all.
Anyway, It may not matter if all you do on computer is disposable but it is nice to have controlled environment and using a source version control system if you have any serious project at hand.

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 08:30:33 pm »
Lets suppose you have a very big old Lazarus project but after your regular update Manjaro upgraded Lazarus to 1.6.4 and its dependancy fpc to 3.0.2 automatically and your project is not compiling  anymore. Then what ?
Then you will probably regret not using a local Lazarus/FPC installation :D
more signal - less noise

sky_khan

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 08:42:22 pm »
Then you will probably regret not using a local Lazarus/FPC installation :D

What if your second (old) installation stops working because of updated gtk library or xserver or graphics card driver or .... something
I would not regret. Because if it is any serious it would be on cloned virtual machine and sources on backed up on scm anyway.

I think you have no idea of having a hundreds of thousands line project which is used by many clients.
Any disruption or delay would hurt you, badly.

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:01:54 pm »
I am on rolling release and thus updates happen daily.
I am yet to experience issues.
Mileage varies, doesn't it?
Or are you suggesting that you keep your system locked in a historical state?
more signal - less noise

sky_khan

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 09:24:10 pm »
@jacmoe

Sorry but my english is actually poor. It is somewhat difficult to me explain something in English so this is my last comment about this.
If you have, lets say 500K+  sloc (source lines of code) project and hundreds of clients (who have yearly support-contracts by you) use this project, you will keep your system whatever state your project dictates. Period.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 09:27:57 pm »
I bet you can mess up Manjaro too. Its a Debian derivative too after all.
No, it is derived from Arch. See:
 https://manjaro.org/
It is easier to install and its packages are not as bleeding edge as in Arch. Maybe for that reason it is so stable.
I can only say that with my usage patterns it works well while I had many dependency problems with Ubuntu and its derivatives. Reading this forum I know that many people have those problems.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

sky_khan

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 09:36:40 pm »
@JuhaManninen
Give me a privileged account and ip of your machine and lets test how solid its package manager :p

Jokes aside, thanks for sharing anyway, I will try it  ( of course in Virtualbox first :) )

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 10:09:32 pm »
I use Manjaro now and can recommend it!
It has very recent versions of everything. For example I got FPC 3.0.2 semi-accidentally with other updates shortly after it was released.
I also have positive experience with Manjaro and LMDE. Not so good with several Ubuntu variations lately.
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 10:30:31 pm »
I updated to FPC 3.0.2 and Laz 1.6.4 over the weekend on an Ubuntu Virtual Box installation and it couldn't have been easier:

- From the command line, I first uninstalled existing fpc, fpc-src and lazarus packages using dpkg.

- I usually prefer to use the official FPC .rpm instead of the Laz .deb, so I used alien like this (and also to test that this still works):

sudo apt-get install alien
      sudo alien -d --scripts fpc-3.0.2-1.x86_64.rpm
      sudo dpkg -i fpc_3.0.2-2_amd64.deb

Installed fine. Then...

sudo dpkg -i fpc-src_3.0.2-170225_amd64.deb
  sudo dpkg -i lazarus-project_1.6.4-0_amd64.deb

Also installed fine, although with a warning that the fpc package didn't match or something (probably because of the "-2" that alien added to the package in creating the .deb).
Well, it could have been easier :
Accept new updates when Manjaro offers them. Type root password in a dialog and hit Enter.

sky_khan

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 12:52:21 pm »
At first attempt. lol

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 01:59:59 pm »
At first attempt. lol
You must have talent. :)
I have installed and then updated it frequently without issues. The last update was just today for KDE frameworks and other stuff. Still no issues.

The best maintained desktops in Manjaro are XFCE and KDE. Maybe some other desktop and related packages have issues. Don't know.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:18:39 pm by JuhaManninen »

Cyrax

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 07:43:20 pm »
I tried Manjaro at some point, got strange problems with it and changed to Arch.

With BTRFS, carefully designed root structure (BTRFS subvolumes for certain directories and enabled for easy snapshot restoration) and snap-pac package installed, I should be safe for any inconvenience that may surface in the future.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018