Recent

Author Topic: (solved)Error installing Lazarus in ubuntu  (Read 18728 times)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: (solved)Error installing Lazarus in ubuntu
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 08:00:11 pm »
Yes, maybe, but (IMHO) a "out-of-the-box" compressed file (+ included install.sh script), like fpc does, has some advantages.
Yes, it is true. Somebody should only make those compressed packages during each release. Nobody has done it so far.

Because Ubuntu + Mint are the kings (I know, it is sad, see classement) ---> http://distrowatch.com
It only means that many other people use them, or at least look for information about them in distrowatch.
Those people may do it out of old habit, just like people here do.

I finally switched to a rolling distro because I wanted latest release versions of many programs. FPC was only one of them. I want latest features and security fixes for my browser. I want the best possible version of KDE. A new version of Plasma 5.x is practically always better than the previous. Why would I use a 2+ year old version?
I waited with the switch so long because I feared rolling distros are too unstable. It turned out to be the opposite. Manjaro has worked without issues. Earlier my Mint and Xubuntu got screwed when I had installed 3rd party packages. With Manjaro I don't need 3rd party packages because it already has the latest of everything. I believe I could break it by tweaking but I don't need to.
Both Arch and Manjaro have a huge selection of packages in their repos. I don't know who updates them all.

It is interesting to see how people stick with one distro because it was a cool thing over 10 years ago. Things have advanced since then.
Seeing the time wasted for discussing installation problems in this forum, the situation makes no sense.
I hope everyone with the problems will check if another distro would serve his needs better.

I have earlier mentioned SparkyLinux which is a rolling distro based on Debian testing. It updates packages too slowly for my taste but it could be a good compromise for people who are afraid of "bleeding edge" updates.
It does not have FPC 3.0.2 yet. It has now KDE frameworks 5.28, released over 4 months ago. Still much more recent than in Ubuntu derivatives. :)

Anyway, please remember that even the fast bleeding edge updates contain only released software. A new release is typically better than an old release. I don't see why a desktop system should hold back updates.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:58:21 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

geraldocg

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 11:18:20 pm »
I know this is a Lazarus forum, but hope someone can help, or at least indicate a link related to my question, or a good Linux forum:
Even before installing Lazarus I noticed a lot of messages like " the system detected a problem in the application ..."
After I installed some programs like Gparted those messages are now much more frequent. Gparted for example blinks and disappears.
So, at Handoko's hint about Ubuntu Mate, I burned it's CD ,tried it and liked it most than Ubuntu.
When installing , "others OS"  were detected and  I choose to install alongside the others (W7,  16.04?). I was offered to resize partitions. But by the sum of the sizes offered  I concluded Mate would be installed in W7 partition. And what about 16.04? Will the sda3 extended partition be maintained and  16.04 included in grub menu?
My HD  partitions are:
Device       Inicialize    Start                 End          Sectors        Size  Id     Tipo(kind?)
/dev/sda1   *                2048           206847          204800     100M    7    HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2                 206848   799921454   799714607  381,3G    7     HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3          799922174   976771071   176848898    84,3G    5    extended
/dev/sda5          799922176   968581119   168658944    80,4G  83    Linux
/dev/sda6          968583168   976771071        8187904      3,9G  82    Linux swap / Sol

If Mate satisfied me I would delete the extended partition  and resize the other ones , but I am not sure what Mate will do with  sda3 and its contents.  I am afraid things get corrupted and loose a lot of time reinstalling W7 and Mate.

Thanks for any help (again),
Geraldo

geraldocg

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 03:18:32 pm »
I apologize for reopening this post, but now it refers to installing Lazarus in Ubuntu Mate.
Ubuntu 16.04.2 started to show often the message: "system detected em error..." so I installed Ubuntu Mate.
In Mate I downloaded the three .deb packs and tried install the fpc one with DGebi. Error:" breaks the existing pack 'fpc' conflict: 'fpc'.
My big error, now I see, was deleting fpc from /user/bin.  Should have suspected that fpc was already installed.
In Synaptic fpc showed as installed and I tried total remove; error "sub-process /user/bin/fpc/dkpg returned an error (1).
I think fpc came installed in Mate, and deleting it in /user/bin messed everything.
I tried apt-get remove fpc   and apt-get purge fpc   and both commands returned the same error as Synaptic.
I tried again installing with GDebi but got the same error.
I am kind of a very cumbersome 'whitcher's apprentice".
Is there a solution?
Thanks,
Geraldo

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 04:12:03 pm »
Is there a solution?
I kind of gave you the solution but for some reason you ignored it.
The MATE desktop is also available in many distributions.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 04:32:11 pm »
Is there a solution?

Did you mean the conflict error message while installing FPC? I had same error too. I just simply ignored that error and the installation continued. I have tested to compile and run some projects, everything run properly, nothing bad happened.

geraldocg

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 07:35:15 pm »
JuhaManninem:
Excuse me for not replying to your suggestion on looking for another distro. I usually take the easiest  solution (bad thing), and it seemed to me that Ubuntu Mate was a tested one regarding Lazarus.
I have made only two Lazarus applications and recompiled another one made in Delphi 7, under XP. I want to have Lazarus just to make minor modification on these two. I am not very desperate because Lazarus is installed and working in Ubuntu 16.04.2 (dual boot with Mate). It is not an elegant solution, to say the least, but I can compile in UB16.04.2 and copy the executable to Mate. This is the only reason I don't erase UB 16.04.2.
Besides that I had a lot of work making Mate suit my needs, installing things and configuring then, so trying other distros is not in my near horizon  (perhaps later). I will search about  Manjaro. Thanks.

Handoko:
Ignored the error installing fpc and installed fpc-src whithout errors. Installing lazarus-project gave error: "not possible install all dependencies error found during processing of fpc".
Lazarus was not installed. Seems the mess I made was a big one.
Any other suggestion?
Thanks, Geraldo

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 07:52:52 pm »
Do as what I said on my very first post to clean up the installation, and reinstall again. That step-by-step I provided you never fails on my Ubuntu Mate.

Also, I guess you maybe need to install this package before you install Lazarus/FPC:
libc6-dev-x32 (use your Synaptic to search and install it)

geraldocg

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 11:56:48 pm »
Hi,
I finally could uninstall fpc and install Lazarus.
After running: sudo apt-get remove fpc, a lot of errors appeared.
Find in errors messages that the system was trying to write to files:
usr/lib/fpc/3.0.2/fpc-cross.cfg and usr/lib/fpc/samplecfg.
Well, to satisfy the system ( and crossing my fingers) I created both folders and files and send again the apt-get remove fpc command : no errors. In Synaptic fpc now appears as not installed.
Installed again, in the order Handoko suggested (didn't mind the error message installing fpc) and Lazarus is working ok; have already opened and run one of my projects.
My "solution" may not be an "by the book" one, but worked.
Thanks you all for the help, patience and good will.
Geraldo

TinyPortal © 2005-2018