Recent

Author Topic: Problems Installing 1.6.4 .DEB  (Read 7284 times)

HatForCat

Problems Installing 1.6.4 .DEB
« on: March 15, 2017, 04:43:16 pm »
Hi, I used Synaptic to remove all of the FPC and Lazarus 1.6.2 stuff. Then used Gnome File Search and found some more stuff, so manually removed "/usr/lib/fpc" and "/etc/fpc.cfg" and after that I could not find anything else Lazarus or FPC related.

I downloaded the three .x64 .deb files.

{edit} to correct error rmessage
I used gdebi-gtk for the "fpc.deb" and it returned an error "Error: Breaks existing package 'fpc' conflict fpc()"
{/edit}

I decided to press ahead anyway and see what happens. I installed the "fpc-source.deb" and "lazarus.deb" with no problems.

Launching Lazarus I got a window with "Lazarus 1.6.2" in the Title at the top. It had four or five Tabs and all but the first one showed "OK." The first one had an error "/usr/share/lazarus/1.6.4" as the wrong version.

It seems there are some artifacts left over from the earlier version that I have not yet found.

How can I get this installed (or roll back to 1.6.2) as of right now, I have nothing.  :o
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:10:00 pm by HatForCat »
Acer-i5, 2.6GHz, 6GB, 500GB-SSD, Mint-19.3, Cinnamon Desktop, Lazarus 2.0.6, SQLite3

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
Re: Problems Installing 1.6.4 .DEB
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:15:57 pm »
There are some hidden files... in <user>./lazarus
Also check /etc/ for existance of fpc.cfg.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

HatForCat

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:07:19 pm »
There are some hidden files... in <user>./lazarus
Also check /etc/ for existance of fpc.cfg.

Thanks Thaddy, but I had removed every copy of the fpc.cfg I could find. When I checked the Home folder the .lazarus was no longer there. But did a file search for "laz" as Root and nothing found other than a couple of unassociated files, like "lazybackup" etc.

If I  ignore the errors and start the IDE regardless of extra warnings, it shows 1.6.2 as the Title of the IDE. But, not too surprisingly, crashes with "linking error." It seems to still have a partial-copy of the 1.6.2 installation somewhere that it reinstates as the "Help -> About Lazarus" shows "1.6.2" after the 1.6.4 install. The "laz" search included even my backup drives that were mounted. And, I cleared everything including them.
Acer-i5, 2.6GHz, 6GB, 500GB-SSD, Mint-19.3, Cinnamon Desktop, Lazarus 2.0.6, SQLite3

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:12:52 pm »
I am a Ubuntu Mate user, I ever got similar problem. I had removed all the files but it just said it had conflict and I can't install. The solution is simple, a computer restart solves the problem.

If restarting your pc can't solve your problem, maybe you haven't really removed some left over files. Here are my note to perform clean (re)installation:

1. Use Synaptic to uninstall Lazarus, fpc, fpc-src
2. Delete ~/.lazarus
3. Delete /etc/fp.*
4. Delete /usr/share/fpcsrc
5. Delete /usr/lib/fpc
6. Delete /usr/bin/ppc*
7. Install fpc_3.0.2-170225_and64.deb
8. Install fpc-src_3.0.2-170225_amd64.deb
9. Install lazarus-project_1.6.4_amd64.deb

Note:
- For #2, I keep editoroptions and environmentoption because I want to keep some IDE settings I configured properly.
- For #3 and #6, some files may be not-lazarus related.
- For #7, #8, #9, the file names can be different.

Good luck!

HatForCat

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 08:09:07 pm »
computer restart solves the problem.

Thanks, but recently coming from windows where many restarts are often required I had done that after every time I tried clearing stuff.

But, I will make a backup and try your list as there were a few "fp..." files that I did not remove. I only removed anything that looked to be "fpc" related. I'll be a little more brutal this time. I'll get back here in an hour or so.

I appreciate you taking the time to make that list. Thank again.

HatForCat

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:46:10 pm »
The solution is simple, a computer restart solves the problem.

Sad to say, not for me...

kapibara

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 09:24:30 pm »
If you are new to Linux, chances are you will break the OS or some installed software more than once. You will waste time regularly and lose productivity. Clone your system now and then so you can restore it in matter of minutes. I use FSArchiver on a live stick (http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/System-tools/)

The problem you have now, I had too after installing fpc with gdebi. Almost thought I had to restore the system from backup, but searched the system partition for fpc* I think, and found some more stuff left behind. Removed it and reinstalled fpc and all was fine.
Lazarus trunk / fpc 3.2.2 / Kubuntu 22.04 - 64 bit

HatForCat

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:50 pm »
Clone your system now and then so you can restore it in matter of minutes

:) Thanks for the thought, but recently coming from windows I know only too well about the need for image backups. I have one from the 10th and daily backups,  so not a great disaster -- yet. I have used used Clonezilla for many years, but will check out th one you mentioned.

I also went searching and ruthlessly erased a lot more stuff, but still the same red error message for FPC. It has me beat, so just now, went back to the 10th image, Laz-1.6.2, but, I am having some issues with 1.6.2 that I was hoping 1.6.4 might have fixed. I guess I will never know. :)

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 08:10:45 am »
I have seen the picture you posted recently. I had exactly same warning too when installing FPC 3.0.2. I just simply ignored it and now everything seems to work correctly. But after my Lazarus/FPC installation I rebuilt my Lazarus after the installation? Have you rebuild your Lazarus? Maybe you need to do it. To do it:

Start your Lazarus > main menu > Tools > Configure Build Lazarus > do some configuration if you want, or use the default > press the "Build" button.

I also notice you're using Ubuntu 14.04. Do you plan to upgrade to the newer version? I ever had software failed to install on Ubuntu because of conflict issue, which it said it was holding some broken packages. After I upgraded to the newer Ubuntu, the problem gone by itself.

Or maybe you can reinstall the older version of Lazarus/FPC, uninstall it and re-perform again the installation of Lazarus 1.6.4. If you need to get the older version, here is the link of Lazarus 1.6.2:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Linux%20amd64%20DEB/Lazarus%201.6.2/

HatForCat

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 06:41:30 pm »
Have you rebuild your Lazarus?

Thanks Handoko, no, I had not tried to rebuild the IDE, but will try the installation again later today. For now though, I have gone back to a full image backup from a few days back that had a working 1.6.2.

On the 14.04 thing, no, I am staying with it for now as it supported until 2019. I tried 16.04, but it does not handle multiple boots at all well. I have 14.04, win8.1 and win7 on this SSD. When I installed 16.04, it kept trashing one or more of the other file-systems. After a few days of messing with it I gave up.

Maybe in a few months I will try it again as I am sure they will fix it. I have read of others with similar problems with multiple boots and 16.04, but, for now it is 14.04. Dual boot on 16.04 seemed OK, but when there were three or four OS on the SSD, it went crazy.

HatForCat

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 07:28:18 pm »
@Handoko:

Nope, still shows  "1.6.2" and balks with "linking error."

It seems like Ubuntu i doing a msoft and keeping a hidden copy f it somewhere and reinstating it.

I will have to live with the image version of 1.6.2 from a few days back, (03/10) as I can't afford to reinstall Ubuntu just to straighten this all out.

Thanks for trying to help.

mauricep

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 04:54:42 pm »
Thank you for this,

1. Use Synaptic to uninstall Lazarus, fpc, fpc-src
2. Delete ~/.lazarus
3. Delete /etc/fp.*
4. Delete /usr/share/fpcsrc
5. Delete /usr/lib/fpc
6. Delete /usr/bin/ppc*
7. Install fpc_3.0.2-170225_and64.deb
8. Install fpc-src_3.0.2-170225_amd64.deb