Recent

Author Topic: Coedit 3 - an IDE for the D programming language written in ObjFPC  (Read 6099 times)

guest58172

I've just released the 3rd version of my flagship, Coedit, an IDE for the D programming language and written in ObjFPC with the Lazarus LCL.

https://github.com/BBasile/Coedit

I encourage you to give a try to D, since it's another kind of language and you may  discover many great things that don't exist in the Pascal world, especially with templates (variadic, template value parameter, template metaprogramming, compile-time reflection, ...).

If you feel as hooked as I've been, you're welcome as a contributor to Coedit !

Edson

Re: Coedit 3 - an IDE for the D programming language written in ObjFPC
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:48:16 pm »
It looks very complete and useful. I was thinking Lazarus is a very good programming tool to do programming tools.

Something I don't like of D, is that old style syntax, borrowed from C/C++.
Lazarus 2.2.6 - FPC 3.2.2 - x86_64-win64 on Windows 10

AlexTP

• UVviewsoft
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:32:01 pm »
IDE indeed looks good + prof, many windows in it. Good work

ipcroc

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 05:28:03 pm »
I have tried out Coedit IDE for D since around last 2 weeks,  very impressive what you have achieved with Objective Pascal. I have installed a copy each on Ubuntu as well as Windows 10.

Well done.

guest58172

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 10:02:45 am »
Thanks. Since the announce i've switched to SemVer and now i make rather small and frequent updates, meaning that i don't plan to make a fourth version, at least not with a big hole of 8 months without fixes and 1000 commits 100 changes at once.

Contributions still welcome, there are plenty of shitty details but i usually don't care about them because it works fine.

Phil

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 11:41:07 pm »
I encourage you to give a try to D, since it's another kind of language and you may  discover many great things that don't exist in the Pascal world, especially with templates (variadic, template value parameter, template metaprogramming, compile-time reflection, ...).

I thought I would look at writing a D wrapper class for the example NDFD dynamic (shared) library, since I have wrapper classes in Pascal, C#, Python and Swift. This can be a useful exercise to perform. (https://macpgmr.github.io/MacXPlatform/PascalDynLibs_2.html)

However, D looks a little, um, underdeveloped. Where FPC's DynLibs unit provides cross-platform versions of the Windows API LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress functions for doing so-called dynamic loading, it looks like with D one would have to write the DynLibs equivalent oneself, using these functions on Windows, but dlopen and dlsym on non-Windows.

And I don't see any example of how to do so-called static loading with D, where you let the OS load the library (or, on macOS, the framework) at startup (the easy way of doing it).

https://dlang.org/articles/dll-linux.html

FPC still looks like a good choice for both _creating_ dynamic libraries (a good way of preserving some of the investment in Pascal code in a decidedly non-Pascal world) and _consuming_ dynamic libraries (a good way of bringing some of the non-Pascal goodness into the Pascal world).

TinyPortal © 2005-2018