Recent

Author Topic: Options menu flashes constantly  (Read 15006 times)

Ever

Options menu flashes constantly
« on: March 08, 2017, 07:16:22 pm »
Regards

I just installed Lazarus 1.6.4 on my laptop with Windows 10. Previously uninstall the latest version under which I was working (1.6). When you finish installing and starting the IDE for the first time everything works wonderfully. Once I started to add the components that I use commonly (LazReport, FortesReport, IBX, Zoes Lib among others) the options menu started to flash or constantly redraw when I hit the bar where the installed controls are, however, if I select any option Menu fails to do so, or if I open a form to work on it, but I just give the option to Close All in the File menu, it starts flashing again.

In the accompanying image, highlight in yellow the constantly flashing options menu

Any suggestions to avoid this problem as it is quite uncomfortable to work in this way.

Thank you for the help you can provide

Sincerely,

Ever Delgado

Ondrej Pokorny

Re: Options menu flashes constantly
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:54:40 pm »
It may be caused by an installed package. Try to find out which one - return to basic Lazarus installation and then install packages one-by-one to see which one caused it.

FTurtle

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 09:41:54 pm »
This looks like one bug which exist in 1.6.4 but absent in trunk.

Reproducing:
Close Source editor's tabs one-by-one. After you close last tab, editor's window closed and main menu begin flashing.

Solution:
Just open something in editor.

Ondrej Pokorny

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:32:42 am »
This looks like one bug which exist in 1.6.4 but absent in trunk.

I fixed this one :)

I dont' think it's the same bug.

mars

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 02:09:59 am »
The IDE menu blinks wildly when there are no projects or files open.

This has already been identified, verified and commented on in this Forum.

But no one explains why.

It is difficult to recommend Lazarus to my students, when I do not know to answer those who ask me, what happens to this IDE.

Is there anyone responsible for this blinker who can answer how to solve this troublesome situation?

I'll be very thankfull.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 02:12:36 am by mars »

mars

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 02:17:59 am »
I'm sorry for the comment that follows, but I need to comment.

It's amazing that someone says "I fixed this one" and does not report how it was resolved.

So it's better not even join the Forum.

Sorry for the comment, but this Forum is to solve problems and not to be used as Facebook.

Phil

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 02:40:15 am »
The IDE menu blinks wildly when there are no projects or files open.

Yes, it is visually annoying, but why or when would you close all files in normal use? What's the point of that?

Note that you can't actually close a project in Lazarus. You can create a new project and you can switch to a different project and you can close a project's files, but there's always a project open.

mars

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 03:47:55 am »
Before closing Lazarus IDE, I use the close all menu. I consider it a good practice, so when restarting the IDE, the previous project will not load automatically.

So "but there's always a project open" is not true.

Furthermore, I do not consider that when there is a problem that there was not even before, people will settle for it saying "yes, there is a problem but there is not a problem".

This Forum is to try to improve and not to settle for the situation.

I think it would be more reasonable if the person or group of people who deployed IDE to manifest and correct this extremely annoying problem.

I do not know where the problem is, but those who have developed the program will surely know.

So I return to my previous speech: if it is resolved I will be very grateful.

And just a reminder: I believe that all of us who attend this Forum want to learn, help and spread Lazarus. So we can not say: this is not a relevant problem. Every problem is relevant.

Phil

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 03:51:27 am »
Before closing Lazarus IDE, I use the close all menu. I consider it a good practice, so when restarting the IDE, the previous project will not load automatically.

So "but there's always a project open" is not true.

No, if you want that behavior, uncheck the "Open last project and packages at start" box in IDE Options.

Look on the title bar - it says "project1" or something, doesn't it? That's the project that's always open.

mars

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 04:15:59 am »
Your suggestion solves the boring blinker.
But the flasher is still there in the IDE.
I just stop seeing it.

If I want to write a library, I start the lazarus, there will always be an open project and I choose a new library project.
It works, but the blinker continues in the Lazarus code.
I just stop seeing it.

Sorry for my insistence, but I would like the developers to correct the problem.
This problem did not exist before and should not be introducing into a new version of Lazarus.

In earlier versions, it was possible to develop programs in directories with long names and with accented letters.
In a later version this is no longer possible.
I reported the problem and the suggestion was the same, ie go around the situation and do not use names with accented letters.
And the problem has not been solved.

I'll be more emphatic.
I hit my car, but it keeps running.
So I will not fix the damage, after all, it keeps working.

I know you want to help. I really do.
But I still think the flasher could be fixed.

Thank you very much for your recommendation.
I really appreciate it.

Phil

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 04:20:05 am »
Sorry for my insistence, but I would like the developers to correct the problem.
This problem did not exist before and should not be introducing into a new version of Lazarus.

Check the commit log around the date of ondrej's cryptic post and see if there's a commit that fixes it?

FTurtle

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 12:39:03 pm »
It works, but the blinker continues in the Lazarus code.
I just stop seeing it.

You trying break through the open door.
You just not quite understood what they told you.
I'll try to explain a little more detail.
First read about version numbering: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Version_Numbering

Now explanation:

1. In version 1.6.* this bug will never fixed.
2. In develoding version 1.7 it was already fixed (long time ago).
3. You can use 1.7 (trunk) right now, but it is not recommended because developing version may contain other errors.
4. After short time (maybe few weeks) will released 1.8RC1 (1.8 release candidate 1). This version will not contain this bug. (After will 1.8RC2 and maybe 1.8RC3)
5. Over 2-3 months will released 1.8 for common use. Without this bug.

The door is open?

P.S. Before releasing 1.8RC1 may be released 1.6.6 there this bug is not fixed.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:00:57 pm by FTurtle »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 01:54:02 pm »
4. After short time (maybe few weeks) will released 1.8RC1 (1.8 release candidate 1). This version will not contain this bug. (After will 1.8RC2 and maybe 1.8RC3)
Some inside information: Mattias will branch 1.8 already this weekend, today or tomorrow. 1.8RC1 should follow soon after.
The new fixes_1_8 branch will be good for testing for anybody as it will get only bug fixes. Actually I recommend it for anybody who has problems with 1.6.x releases.

P.S. Before releasing 1.8RC1 may be released 1.6.6 there this bug is not fixed.
Possible but not very likely. The limited resources will be used for 1.8.

I do not know where the problem is, but those who have developed the program will surely know.
Uhhh! You clearly have no experience developing a big multi-million LOC project. Often fixing a bug requires hours and hours of studying the relevant code although the actual fix may be just a few lines of code.
Nobody knows all the code. There are dark corners that nobody knows about.
You can try how it goes. Pick the most annoying bug from
  http://bugs.freepascal.org/
then dive into the code and fix the bug.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

FTurtle

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 02:19:53 pm »

mars

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 07:59:34 am »
Uhhh! You clearly have no experience developing a big multi-million LOC project. Often fixing a bug requires hours and hours of studying the relevant code although the actual fix may be just a few lines of code.
Nobody knows all the code. There are dark corners that nobody knows about.
You can try how it goes. Pick the most annoying bug from http://bugs.freepascal.org/ then dive into the code and fix the bug.

I want to apologize for saying that the authors should know where the problem is.

For JuhaManninen, Global, Moderator and Hero Member I would like to inform you that I've been programming computers since 1970. Has this Hero Member been born yet? And I ask what is a Hero Member? Someone who writes at least once a day? Big Deal.

Thank you very much for all the information, hoping that there are no snippy answers and I will recommend Delphi to my students.

More seriousness in this Forum, would not hurt anyone.

Excuse me, again, for imagining that the authors of the system know what they are doing.

Parodying the Hero Member: Uhhh! Free software is that. No one is responsible. Use at your own risk. And do not complain. Even if you are educated and suggest something important, this does not interest us. Buy one better. Great answers from those who do not know what they are talking about. Destroying the image of a system that could be good is very simple. And some Heroes do it very well.

I hope to never be a Hero Member.

I prefer to be a mortal and ignorant, who has been programing for over 47 years. But without being Hero. Just a mortal who has already developed hundreds of systems. And enough

Thank you very much for all the information, hoping that there are no snippy answers and I will recommend Delphi to my students.

The Delphi authors do not say they do not know where the error lies.

Delphi authors do not make mock requests or comments from users.

I tried to spread Lazarus, but I wasted my time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018