Recent

Author Topic: modify gpx editor to call ff browser  (Read 4421 times)

kennr

modify gpx editor to call ff browser
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:02:25 pm »
Hello.  I would like to modify the program GPX_Editor.exe so it can run on my Windows XP system.  The program is needed, but as it is now the program exclusively calls IEv9+.  Since IEv9+ does not run on Windows XP, then neither does GPX_Editor.exe run there.  So my goal is to modify the source code so the program can call the FFv51+ browser instead.  This is the only program change desired.  Since the code is GNU open source, I am thinking it is okay to do the modify and recompile.  Do you feel the same way?

I am not asking the forum write the modified program for me, but I certainly need whatever help and advice can be provided.  Thank you.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gpxeditor/files/

Some of the relevant code is at lines 515 to 519 in Main.pas.  Although undoubtedly the desired change is more complicated than those few lines.

The original program appears to have been written in Borland Delphi/Kylix.  I am using FPC v3.0 and Lazarus IDE.

Phil

Re: modify gpx editor to call ff browser
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:36:47 pm »
Hello.  I would like to modify the program GPX_Editor.exe so it can run on my Windows XP system.

Updating to a newer Windows would be the way to go. Porting a program of that size to Lazarus might be a massive undertaking, with or without the switch to a different browser.

kennr

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 01:58:16 pm »
I very much appreciate your taking my free pascal post seriously.  And I share your concern about the difficulty of porting the subject program from Delphi over to Lazarus/FPC.

However on the brighter (more optimistic) side, the attempted project conversion appears to have been largely successful.  The one exception being the browser class, which we intend to change anyway.

Menu:Tools>Delphi Conversion
                  >Convert Delphi Project to Lazarus Project...
                         GPX_Editor.dpr

Unable to find the component class TWebBrowser.
It is not registered via RegisterClass and no lfm was found.
It is needed by unit: Main.pas
<Button: Cancel loading this component>

Although I have not yet attempted the recompile under Lazarus/FPC and probably should not until the TWebBrowser Class issue is corrected.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:08:21 pm by kennr »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 02:56:19 pm »
TWebBrowser is basically a wrapper around an MSIE activex import.

Since MSIE only solutions are on the way out, nobody has really bothered to implement it for FPC/Lazarus.

How it worked under Linux is even more questionable.

There is a chrome import that is a bit like it in principle (not in implementation) called fpCEF(3)

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 03:13:06 pm »
I would redo it from scratch using standard fpcand Laz components.
Shopping list (everything is in the distribution)
-fcl-xml to read/write the GPX 1.1 format
-fcl-web, fcl-net to communicate
-Google maps component to retrieve maps. There's also some openstreetview/map code somewhere that compiles in FPC.
-Fphtmlviewer

You can keep the UI design. And this is all portable.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:20:01 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018