Recent

Author Topic: help "link" that describes the differant "create a new project" options  (Read 2648 times)

mas steindorff

I've used Lazarus for years but always to create GUI on windows. I now need to create a non_GUI that will (in the end) run on a Linux system.  I see there are several options to explore in the "Create a new Project" screen.  Besides what shows up in the description panel, is there some place that describes the different options in more detail? (the Help button here does nothing on all of my installs)

my code will use Threads, some Ttimers and the lazSynaSer unit, and about 8 other units I have created if that matters. 

FYI: otherwise I have removed "forms, dialogues, ... GUI" from all of my stuff already.
Thanks
windows 10 &11, Ubuntu 21+ - fpc 3.0.4, IDE 2.0 general releases

francisco1844

Re: help "link" that describes the differant "create a new project" options
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 03:47:54 am »
Hi. New user here, but recently went other this myself.

I literally just created 3 projects with each of the 3 options to see what they did.. This is a brief summary, but it is quick/easy enough you could just do it yourself too..

• Simple Program - Just a program header, begin/end.. Literally 3 lines of code.
  • Program - Set a couple of compiler options (I believe to set Object Pacal and Delphi compatibility), use ctreads and an empty header for classes
  • Console Application - This one I find is the most useful. It has a skeleton program and uses TCustomApplication. I have yet to explore/learn all that is gained from this, but so far been able to handle parameters much more easily has been the first obvious advantage for me

See this link

[Edit] Those are the 3 options I saw that were for CLI. The other options did not seem like were geared towards a CLI application.

mas steindorff

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:01:51 am »
thanks Francisco,
That saves me some time since I have not received my final target system yet.
I didn't think the 1st two were so bear bones..  one of the things that throw me off is the order they are presented in the window.  I was thinking the one next to the standard GUI app would be the one closest to it designed wise.

windows 10 &11, Ubuntu 21+ - fpc 3.0.4, IDE 2.0 general releases

francisco1844

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 04:20:03 pm »
I was thinking the one next to the standard GUI app would be the one closest to it designed wise.

I guess you could think of it that way.. but in a way it makes sense.. it goes from the most simple to the more complete template.

Since you have done GUI apps I think the Console Application should easy for you to follow and a good starting point.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018