Forum > Designer

Disable the auto Variable-name update

(1/3) > >>

HatForCat:
Hi, I have  a TEdit named "edCheck" and I want to change the name in the IDE but do not want that change to ripple through the entire source as it currently does.

Is there some way to temporarily disable the auto-renaming in the entire Source file? Sometimes I just want to rename that single TEdit to "edCheckX" (or whatever) so it will toss a Compile fault and jump straight to it in the source.

I know I can use "Find," but that needs some extra work and old habits die hard.

howardpc:
If you press F2, and uncheck "Rename" the Search Results dialog will list all occurrences of edCheck, and you can jump directly to whichever one you want by clicking on it.

Martin_fr:
You can edit the lfm.

Either in the IDE (right click form, show lfm), or outside the IDE, while the IDE is closed.

Instead of just "Find" use "Find Identifier references" (context menu)

Bart:

--- Quote from: HatForCat on February 16, 2017, 06:59:43 pm ---Hi, I have  a TEdit named "edCheck" and I want to change the name in the IDE but do not want that change to ripple through the entire source as it currently does.

--- End quote ---

Why would you not want that?
This way you rename the control only in lfm, not in sourcecode.
This wil lead to disaster.

Bart

HatForCat:

--- Quote from: Bart on February 16, 2017, 10:18:09 pm ---Why would you not want that?
This way you rename the control only in lfm, not in sourcecode.
This wil lead to disaster.
--- End quote ---

Please read my original post. I want "disaster" as I want to quickly find all occurrences of that Control. It is a debugging technique used often by Professionals. :)

You rename the Actual Edit to "edCheckX" then hit F9.
The compiler will break and take you right to the first use of that Edit. If that is not the instance of the edit you are after then you also add the "X" to the end and hit F9 again. Simple and quick. Way faster than using Find.

When you have found and fixed the issue just leave them all with the "X" on the end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version