Recent

Author Topic: How to Lock Form position in IDE?  (Read 4714 times)

HatForCat

How to Lock Form position in IDE?
« on: January 04, 2017, 10:50:14 pm »
Hi, Linux version with Mint and Laz-1.6.2.

When I tap-F12 to toggle between the Form and the Editor Text, the Form always goes back to the position it wants. I Like to have the top of the form below the line of Tabs for the Units so I can click on another unit. The F12 puts the Form over the Tabs.

Is there some way to make the Form stay where **I** want it o the screen?

Thanks
Acer-i5, 2.6GHz, 6GB, 500GB-SSD, Mint-19.3, Cinnamon Desktop, Lazarus 2.0.6, SQLite3

howardpc

Re: How to Lock Form position in IDE?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 11:11:38 pm »
I think this is a bug, probably a regression since I don't recall it happening with 1.4.
If others confirm the behaviour it should be reported on Mantis (unless there is already a bug report about this).

HatForCat

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 11:22:42 pm »
Thanks, pretty sure it is a bug as the Form changes back to the original size.

If I make the Form the size I want then click in the Editor text space it hides the Form. If I then tap F12 it shows the Form back to where it wants and also at the original size.

I am new to Linux+Lazarus, how can I go back to a version that is usable?

Thanks
Acer-i5, 2.6GHz, 6GB, 500GB-SSD, Mint-19.3, Cinnamon Desktop, Lazarus 2.0.6, SQLite3

HatForCat

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 11:39:06 pm »
OK, I figured out how to un-install1.6.2 and install 1.4.4

The Form stays the correct size but it still moves up to cover the Tabs.

Should l try going back to v1.4.2?

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 12:09:01 am »
Lazarus 1.6.2 works on Linux for me and for many others without such problems.
Please try with a clean configuration, either by deleting ~/.lazarus directory or by using --pcp= parameter.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

HatForCat

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 04:36:26 pm »
Thanks, but I after several messed up (by me) attempts at removing I did one better than that, I went back a former Clonezilla image labeled "Before-Lazarus" squeaky clean. :Let me just also say I have been programming for 40-years so not a newbie to Delphi or Lazarus, just new to Linux. As such I am smart enough to know always make progressive images as you step through the learning process. :)

I have played with it some more and finding quirks to it. I have put 1.4.0 back in and it sometimes resizes the Form, but always resets the position to where it started. I then put things where I wanted and "save All." Shut down and restarted -- same behavior.

So again I shuffled and this time clicked the "Close-X" in top right of Lazarus and answered the "Save" with Yes. This time is still moved the form back but left it at the size I had set.

It appears to be something to do with saving the Desktop that is not happening.

As it is, it is unusable but will give 1.6.2 another try now that I have discovered the quirk mention above.

Where do I find the "Save Desktop" that D-5 has, or doesn't Lazarus have that option?

HatForCat

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 04:52:48 pm »
UPDATE:
I saved a desktop (Options/Desktop) as it wanted to have stuff.
Then saved another as I wanted positioned.
I then closed and restarted Lazarus and it showed stuff positioned as it wanted.
I then tried to Load the Desktop I had saved and selected the desktop file and got this error message...

Code: [Select]
There is no Free Pascal Compiler (e.g. fpc or ppc<cpu>) configured in the environment options. Codetools will not work properly.
Project's compiler: "": missing file name
Environment compiler: "": missing file name

Now that is weird as the first time I ran this fresh Lazarus install from .deb file (fpc, fpc-src and lazarus using gdebi) , it showed it compiling the IDE and seemed happy enough then that the fpc existed. :)

So, where/how do I set the "environement options?"

I ask, because I can't check the Options as the IDE will not load at all with "Warning: directory lcl not found".

Seems like something just ain't right with v1.4 install .deb file.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018