Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to install latest Lazarus on Linux Mint?  (Read 24782 times)

Awesome Programmer

• Programming is FUN only when it works :)
    • Cool Technology
Re: [SOLVED] How to install latest Lazarus on Linux Mint?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 05:58:59 pm »
DO YOU MUST REMOVE THE PREVIOUS INSTALL? If so, is there a way to preserve the old installation just in case your new installation doesn't work.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 06:51:57 pm »
DO YOU MUST REMOVE THE PREVIOUS INSTALL?
Previous FPC or previous Lazarus? They are separate things.
Apparently many people have problems with .deb packages.
A certain way to install FPC is to use their install script. Yes you should uninstall previous versions before that.
You can have many versions of FPC but then you must know what you are doing.
Once FPC works you can compile Lazarus from sources. You can easily have many versions of Lazarus, just start them from their own directories.

There is even a better way to prevent any installation hassle. Use a rolling Linux distro which has the latest versions of everything. I use Manjaro myself.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 07:00:29 pm »
DO YOU MUST REMOVE THE PREVIOUS INSTALL? If so, is there a way to preserve the old installation just in case your new installation doesn't work.

Sure, save the original installation files.

The problem with *nix here is that certain file locations are doubly used, specially the files that go into <prefix>/bin

I solve this by only doing local installs in various prefixes (~/rel300 ~/rel302 ~/trunk) etc and having a ~/lib that has symlinks to the lib directories of those (to keep fpc.cfg simple) then have a shell script that can erase and recreate symlinks for all files in ~/bin/

These installs are from the .tar (or even make), but afaik nearly all package systems allow you to install into a specified directory, and then it only the matter of making a script with  a bunch of symlinks.

timbo347

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 01:21:11 pm »
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, so hello to everyone.  :D

I'm not exactly a Linux newbie (my first Slackware installation was in 1994), but I'm having big problems installing fp fp-source and Lazarus IDE on Mint 18.1:

After every failure, I do a a complete uninstall with both the package manager and by removing fp and Lazarus references manually.

I've tried installing with apt and the software manager - installing fp, fp source and the IDE. When the IDE runs, it gives an error message: 'packager/globallinks' not found, and the toolbar lacks the component palette.

I've downloaded the latest .deb files from Sourceforge (fpc_3.0.2... fpc-src_3.02... and  lazarus-project_16.4-0...
fp and fp source claim to have loaded, but the IDE deb installer tells me that 'links cannot be satisfied', and won't go further.

I've also tried the older 3.0.0 and 1.6 .deb packages, which install to completion, but still giving the packager/globallinks error, and still missing the component palette.

I'm beginning to think that the Lazarus packaging is broken (or perhaps my brain is  :o )

I've recently bitten the bullet and no longer have a Windoze installation, and the only thing I miss in my wholesale move to Linux is Lazarus. So: HELP!

Thanks a lot in advance - Tim

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 03:18:58 pm »
Hello timbo347,
Welcome to the forum

I'm not familiar with Linux Mint, but I found that this link below may be can help you:

http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,27065.msg167129.html

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 03:24:27 pm »
I've just remembered, in some cases, you may need to install these things:

- libx11-dev
- libgtk2.0-dev
- libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev
- libcairo2-dev
- libpango1.0-dev

Zoran

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zoran
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 03:47:41 pm »
Tim, I use Linux Mint and, instead of deb packages, here is what I do:

1. Chose fpc download section according to your os bitness (for example: https://www.freepascal.org/down/x86_64/linux-hungary.var) and, instead of deb package, chose "Download in 1 big file".

2. Unpack in a folder. From terminal, cd in this folder and type "sh ./install.sh". The fpc installation will start. First it will ask you for "prefix", that is the folder where fpc will be installed. Chose a path under your user folder, so that you will not need super user rights (eg. $HOME/fpc). The install process will continue, just answer yes to all further questions.

3. Download fpc sources and unpack them.

4. Download lazarus sources. You can dowload lazarus sources from here https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Zip%20_%20GZip/Lazarus%201.8.0RC1/

4a. Now, before building lazarus, you will probably need to install these libraries:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
sudo apt-get install libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev

5. In terminal cd to lazarus folder and type these lines (first add your fpc/bin path to PATH variable, then compile lazarus):
PATH=$HOME/fpc/bin:$PATH
make clean bigide

6. Try to start lazarus:
./startlazarus

In Lazarus IDE, set fpc folder and fpc sources folder according to steps 2 and 3 above.

It should work...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:35:33 am by Zoran »

timbo347

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 11:17:40 am »
It did work...

You, Sir, are a true Hero!

Thank you - Lazarus 1.8 is up and running, and I'll be porting all my old projects.

Much impressed - Tim ::)

Zoran

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 12:18:09 pm »
Much impressed - Tim ::)

Thanks, I assume there is no deliberate irony in these rolling eyes. :)

I'd like to add one more thing which should be done -- install chm help in the IDE:

7. Downolad chm files (https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Documentation/Lazarus%201.8.0RC1/), unpack and then adjust chm help path in Lazarus IDE:
From main menu open Tools->Options... in tree view on the left side go down and select Help, then on the right side select "CHM help" and set HelpFilesPath to the folder with these chm files.

timbo347

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 10:21:12 pm »
A bad choice of emoticon - it looked appropriate at the time! I certainly didn't see it as eye-rolling - perhaps as looking up to you? (creep over)

Thanks for the additional advice too.

One thing I found - I needed to make the addition to PATH permanent by adding it to .profile - this avoids the compiler barfing when you run.

Tim

Zoran

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 07:44:55 am »
I certainly didn't see it as eye-rolling
Yes, I knew it. :)

One thing I found - I needed to make the addition to PATH permanent by adding it to .profile - this avoids the compiler barfing when you run.

Yes.
Although, I don't think that Lazarus needs it if you set full fpc path in the IDE (in Options->Environment->Files, Compiler Executable), you might need it for compiling outside the IDE.

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 01:49:26 pm »
If you have already installed an older version of Lazarus and that there is a conflict with DEB packages you just downloaded, you won't be told by the GUI application for packages. Instead use the command line :
Code: Bash  [Select][+][-]
  1. apt deb fpc-src_3.0.4-2_amd64.deb
  2. apt deb fpc-laz_3.0.4-1_amd64.deb
  3. apt deb lazarus-project_2.0.0-0_amd64.deb
You will know then what can be causing trouble.
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

TinyPortal © 2005-2018