Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to install latest Lazarus on Linux Mint?  (Read 24781 times)

knuckles

[SOLVED] How to install latest Lazarus on Linux Mint?
« on: December 23, 2016, 11:15:11 pm »
Ok let me first start by saying I am very much a beginner with Linux, I have used it in the past for short amounts of time just out of curiosity. I have now just installed Linux Mint alongside Windows 10 as a dual boot and would like to get Lazarus setup on the Linux OS but am finding it rather confusing so would appreciate some help.

As of now the latest Lazarus version is 1.6.2 and I believe FPC 3.0.0

Now this is where I am unsure what steps to take, I noticed you can obviously download Lazarus from the Downloads page but am unsure what exactly to download.

I have instead (and likely wrong approach) searched Lazarus from the Software Manager and tried installing from there (though it is only Lazarus 1.6). This did not work however as when launching the IDE it says it is missing rtl and fpc sources etc. I skipped this part just to see how the IDE looked in Linux Mint and came across some strange issues with the Form Designer, for example if I moved the Form Designer and clicked a control from the Tool palette at the top the designer window moves back to its original position. Of course this is all meaningless because the IDE is not functioning anyway.

Since then I have reinstalled Linux Mint anyway so I am back on a clean install and would love to get Lazarus up and running.

How exactly do I install the latest Lazarus and FPC on Linux Mint?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 05:05:17 pm by knuckles »

knuckles

Re: How to install latest Lazarus on Linux Mint?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 11:46:25 pm »
I am using Linux Mint 18.1 Serena (Cinnamon 64-bit) if that helps.

howardpc

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 11:56:17 pm »
Click the Downloads (Laz+FPC) link on the left panel of this forum.
Then click on the Lazarus Linux amd64 DEB link.
This will download a file named lazarus_1.6-0_amd64.deb to your downloads directory.
Once the file has downloaded successfully, double-click it, and supply your password.

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 11:57:07 pm »
I would recommend fpcupdeluxe (http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,34645.0.html) as the best method for Linux Mint which worked for me.

Latest version: https://github.com/newpascal/fpcupdeluxe/releases/tag/v1.2.0
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:59:18 pm by minesadorada »
GPL Apps: Health MonitorRetro Ski Run
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

knuckles

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 02:49:21 am »
Click the Downloads (Laz+FPC) link on the left panel of this forum.
Then click on the Lazarus Linux amd64 DEB link.
This will download a file named lazarus_1.6-0_amd64.deb to your downloads directory.
Once the file has downloaded successfully, double-click it, and supply your password.

Thanks.

I have just tried this and v1.6.2 is now installed but there are two issues I am currently looking for a solution to.

The first is Interfaces.pp cannot be found by project:

project1.lpr(9,3) Fatal: Cannot find Interfaces used by Project1. Make sure all ppu files of a package are in its output directory. ppu in wrong directory=/usr/share/lazarus/1.6.2/lcl/units/x86_64-linux/gtk2/interfaces.ppu. Clean up package "LCL"..

I guess the paths are setup wrong or I need to rebuild LCL package or something.

The second issue is as I mentioned earlier, move Form1 around and then click a control from the Tool palette at the top and the Form Designer keeps jumping back.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 03:05:48 am by knuckles »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 11:17:35 am »
You should have uninstalled your previous attempts first.
Do that and also remove the local config dir ~/.lazarus.
Then install DEB packages for FPC, FPC sources and Lazarus.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

wp

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 02:15:35 pm »
I would recommend fpcupdeluxe (http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,34645.0.html) as the best method for Linux Mint which worked for me.
Really? In my Mint VM it crashes without any message after checking out fpc. Is there a way to create a log file?

knuckles

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 02:23:53 pm »
You should have uninstalled your previous attempts first.
Do that and also remove the local config dir ~/.lazarus.
Then install DEB packages for FPC, FPC sources and Lazarus.

Well not been too Linux savvy I was not sure if everything would be clean by uninstalling Lazarus from the Package Manager so I did a clean wipe and install of Linux Mint before installing Lazarus the way howardpc mentioned. So that is all I have done so far, clean Linux install and clean Lazarus install.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 02:55:46 pm »
How did you create the project? After a clean install, if you do
  Project -> New Project -> Application
... then press F9 (Run) but Interfaces.pp still cannot be found, then I don't know what is happening.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

DonAlfredo

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 03:31:23 pm »
@wp

There was a problem with a bootstrapper with fpcupdeluxe.
Trunk has a makefile that mentions 3.0.2 as a valid bootstrapper, but there is (yet) no 3.0.2 !

Temporary fix available:
https://github.com/newpascal/fpcupdeluxe/releases/tag/v1.2.0a

knuckles

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 04:22:53 pm »
How did you create the project? After a clean install, if you do
  Project -> New Project -> Application
... then press F9 (Run) but Interfaces.pp still cannot be found, then I don't know what is happening.

Exactly, create a new project and try to run and I get that error, same with trying to build the ide.

My environment settings look like this if it helps: http://i67.tinypic.com/xm500k.jpg

knuckles

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 04:55:29 pm »
Ok I removed lazarus and fpc from Synaptic Package Manager, then installed FPC, FPC source and Lazarus deb files and now can compile and rebuild ide.

But the form designer still acts strange, as soon as you select a control from the Standard tab for example a TButton the Form designer jumps back to original position.

EDIT: Have made a new question for this problem: http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,35218.0.html
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 05:45:26 pm by knuckles »

wp

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 05:54:21 pm »
@wp

There was a problem with a bootstrapper with fpcupdeluxe.
Trunk has a makefile that mentions 3.0.2 as a valid bootstrapper, but there is (yet) no 3.0.2 !

Temporary fix available:
https://github.com/newpascal/fpcupdeluxe/releases/tag/v1.2.0a

Sorry - same problem, also with stable+stable ("Stable" button in bottom bar)

Bitbeisser

Re: [SOLVED] How to install latest Lazarus on Linux Mint?
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 07:57:55 pm »
Ok, tried to install on a clean, fresh install of Linux Mint 18 (so fresh and clean that as usual, the wireless networking doesn't work, but wired connection is fine).
Downloaded the three files from sourceforge and installed without error in the order compiler, IDE and lastly source.
However, when I try and start the IDE afterwards, the small settings windows pops up (as it usually does on Windows and Mac too) but with the error that it can't find the LCL?  :-\

Ralf

Bitbeisser

Re: [SOLVED] How to install latest Lazarus on Linux Mint?
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 08:58:37 am »
Wipe in previous install and downloaded the packages for compiler, sources and Lazarus again and it is working now.
What changed over the previous attempt(s) is that this time, is that installed the sources right after the compiler but before the IDE and I used the newly renamed "lazarus_project*.deb" file instead of the previously one just named "lazarus*.deb".

Mint (18.1 Mate, btw) still complained that there would be a newer version in their repository and it would be recommended to use that one.
And when checking the Update Manager, it offers an fpc package named "3.0.0+dfsg-2", but so far I have resisted to tag this one for install...  :-\

Ralf

TinyPortal © 2005-2018