Recent

Author Topic: Mouse over help context  (Read 3545 times)

Lulu

Mouse over help context
« on: December 21, 2016, 04:13:49 pm »
Hello,

Why in some of my Lazarus project, sometime mouse over help context disappears ?

It works very well for some of my projects, and for others, the aid disappears suddently and never come back...
It's difficult to work without this.

Because my english is bad, better to put an example:

FList: TList;
FList.

And after the '.' I wait... I wait... I wait... and no method/property appears  %)

When this happens, there isn't also no debug info when after a break point, I put the mouse over a variable...

I don't change any options in IDE environment.

Thanks you for you help
wishing you a nice life

molly

Re: Mouse over help context
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:25:51 pm »
Usually this situation happens when code-tools parser encounters code that it is unable to parse.

If things are really bad, then code-tools even emits an error in the log window.

In order to 'force' the method/property list you can press ctrl+ space directly after the dot to invoke the popup window.

which version of lazarus and on what platform are you confronted with this behaviour ?

Lulu

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:36:51 pm »
Thanks for your quick answer

I use Lazarus 1.6.2, FPC 3.0.0  win32 version
wishing you a nice life

Lulu

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 04:40:37 pm »
could you say me how to show log windows please ?
wishing you a nice life

molly

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 04:46:58 pm »
could you say me how to show log windows please ?
iirc menu->view->messages.

it is the default message window where you also see the output result of your compilation.

I'm using anchordocking myself so the message window is always there for me.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:49:10 pm by molly »

Lulu

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 04:56:42 pm »
Thanks Molly for you help.

I will take a look to my code.
wishing you a nice life

molly

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 05:16:15 pm »
Note that code-tools failing can be encountered with something as simple as forgetting to include the correct unit in the uses clause (or included at the wrong location e.g. implementation section instead of interface section)

Other causes of failure for code-tools includes the inability to locate the (correct) source files or include files.

Mostly (for me) it is just about a dumb typo that was made somewhere. Also note that in case forcing the method/property window with ctrl-space fails, that you can be certain that something is amiss inside your code. Depending on the severity of the error, code-tools emits an error/hint or none at all.

Compiling your project usually tells where the error is exactly, in case you are really overlooking things.

In case the popup hints keeps failing for you after you have corrected your code, then there might be something wrong. Please report in that case and preferably show some example to reproduce.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018