Recent

Author Topic: Free Pascal/Lazarus difference  (Read 11035 times)

Winch

Re: Free Pascal/Lazarus difference
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 11:23:50 am »
Thaddy - It was definitely Delphi 2, as I still have the original disk. I never owned Delphi 1. But I am sure you will be right that the limitation was for Delphi 1. My program started off on an Apple ll, then moved to the IBM PC using Turbo Pascal and a graphics package. In those days all memory was so short that you had to use every trick in the book to economise.

Iainz - Thank you for the kind suggestion. I am very willing to share my program and data with anyone. But frankly the source code is in such a mess its in no fit state at the moment. I started to rewrite in Delphi 7 (free disk with a magazine) on a Windows 8 machine, but found that Delphi 7 had problems with Windows 8. The program itself is of little value - very unsophisticated in today's terms. Its strength is in the accumulation of old data that I have, but that is also a weakness as it is all typed in manually. These days modern programs have access to massive amounts of data - its just that they don't do what I want to do.

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 02:43:56 pm »
It wasn't. I still have D2 and checked. D2 has as I wrote a 32 bit flat memory model. No paging. No 64K limit.
I still have it because KOL still supports it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:47:20 pm by Thaddy »
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 04:28:19 pm »
... It was definitely Delphi 2, as I still have the original disk. I never owned Delphi 1.

Strange, when I bought D2 (in the days when a simple person could still afford this: IIRC it was about 250 gulden, which would be appr. € 120), the D2 came bundled with D1 on the same CD.
This is the reason I bought it in the first place, since I was on Win 3.0 at that time, so D2 was of no use for me.
(I skipped D2 and go D3 Pro once I upgraded my hardware and OS)

Bart

Thaddy

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 04:31:41 pm »
You overpaid. It was 30 guilders on a student license. Professional. And that indeed included D1
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:49:33 pm by Thaddy »
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 04:42:57 pm »
You overpaid. It was 30 guilders on a student license. Professional.

I wasn't a student anymore.
I started programming when I was unemployed after my graduation.

Bart

Thaddy

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 04:50:10 pm »
I was doing a post-graduate, hence I qualified.

Winch

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 09:52:54 pm »
Having just cleaned up my old program, I have now downloaded Lazarus 1.6.2.

I am delighted - It has a very familiar look and feel with many of the components in their old places. But also lots of new components. I think it will take a little time to master.

Again many thanks to you all for putting me on the right path.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018