Recent

Poll

Is it worth to port these components, would you like to use it?

Yes sure, I've been waiting for that, I will use them.
2 (28.6%)
Yes it is good to have them in Lazarus, but I will not use it.
4 (57.1%)
No alternatives enough. (Firebird, Sqlite, TDbf, ..)
1 (14.3%)
They do not  interest me.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: April 11, 2017, 06:58:11 pm

Author Topic: Turbo Power Flashfiler Lazarus Port  (Read 42738 times)

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: Turbo Power Flashfiler Lazarus Port
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2017, 12:47:10 pm »
As for the popularity of SQLite the main reasons are 1) it is a c based embedded database 2) it is under the BSD license and 3) it has a small footprint. Those reasons makes it a good solution for storage limited devices (mobiles phones, tablets etc). it is not its technical superiority over (firebird for example) other databases that it was chosen.
It is not under any license.  see: https://sqlite.org/copyright.html  It is copyright protected, though. It is public domain in the strictest sense of public domain. (Which differs from free software, that includes licensed software)
Because of the copyright protection the only limitation is that you  can not claim to have written it.
It is technically superior to firebird. That's a fact, not an opinion. Although I hate firebird, for the record.
And fpindexer contains a full text search engine, but it is an indexer.

But feel free to use FF. I did so for years. In my opinion it is a bad idea to recommend it, though, for the reasons I mentioned before.
- Not mainstream
- Not maintained
- Can you access your data in 20 years time?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 12:59:05 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

taazz

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2017, 01:24:18 pm »
As for the popularity of SQLite the main reasons are 1) it is a c based embedded database 2) it is under the BSD license and 3) it has a small footprint. Those reasons makes it a good solution for storage limited devices (mobiles phones, tablets etc). it is not its technical superiority over (firebird for example) other databases that it was chosen.
It is not under any license.  see: https://sqlite.org/copyright.html  It is copyright protected, though. It is public domain in the strictest sense of public domain. (Which differs from free software, that includes licensed software)
Because of the copyright protection the only limitation is that you  can not claim to have written it.
Does not change the reasoning it only makes it even easier to use but you are right.

It is technically superior to firebird. That's a fact, not an opinion. Although I hate firebird, for the record.
Any proof to support your claim? Which feature are technically superior to firebird? As far as I know it has no concurrent access, limited SQL support (views become available the past year or two if I recall correctly), data types are non existent, they are considered requests not data types (try creating a field with data type thaddy and see for your self) numeric checks follow the string convention more than the numeric one and a number of other falsities which make it a bad choice for any mid to big data sized application.

And fpindexer contains a full text search engine, but it is an indexer.
A full text search engine is an indexer for text it does not make it a database the same way a index of a paradox table is not the database.
But feel free to use FF. I did so for years. In my opinion it is a bad idea to recommend it, though, for the reasons I mentioned before.
- Not mainstream
true then again very few database are mainstream and most of them you have no access to their code.
- Not maintained
Not yet. But its the only one that (if code properly) can go everywhere fpc goes with out the need a C/C++ compiler.
- Can you access your data in 20 years time?
well as long as I have the code the answer is yes. Can you say the same for Oracle? MSSQL? those are as mainstream as they come.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

teos

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2020, 08:37:36 pm »
I think that Thaddy was right afterall.. Can't find much information that is not at least 3 years old.

Apart from all the pointers and unreadable code, the conversion to Lazarus still looks like a one man action. A database engine is too important for an evening of quick fixes.

But I like the part where server and client are both coded in Pascal. So I looked at the files posted but to no surprise to me, Lazarus 2.0.6 and CodeTyphon 7.0 cannot install the packages:

I wonder if it really was needed to code this in assembly.

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. function HasTimerExpired(const T : TffTimer) : boolean;
  2. asm
  3.   push ebx
  4.   xor ebx, ebx
  5.   cmp [eax].TffTimer.trForEver, 0
  6.   jne @@Exit
  7.   push eax
  8.   call GetTickCount
  9.   pop edx
  10.   mov ecx, [edx].TffTimer.trExpire
  11.   mov edx, [edx].TffTimer.trStart
  12.   cmp edx, ecx
  13.   jbe @@StartLEExpire
  14. @@StartGEExpire:
  15.   cmp eax, edx
  16.   jae @@Exit
  17.   cmp eax, ecx
  18.   jae @@Expired
  19.   jmp @@Exit
  20. @@StartLEExpire:
  21.   cmp eax, ecx
  22.   jae @@Expired
  23.   cmp eax, edx
  24.   jae @@Exit
  25. @@Expired:
  26.   inc ebx
  27. @@Exit:
  28.   mov eax, ebx
  29.   pop ebx
  30. end;
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:43:07 pm by teos »

zzsczz

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2022, 11:33:58 am »
Thanks - as stated:

This item might not exist or is no longer available
This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information.

Every link that supposedly has source in this thread - all link to OneDrive, and report the above. I would love to save the time I am spending to migrate it to Linux if someone else has already done so.
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AFDr0v7myFuatlg&cid=1CF6E5B11FE74543&id=1CF6E5B11FE74543%21108&parId=root&action=locate

i compile the source  by lazarus 2.2.2(fpc3.2.2) win32 version

project ffserver.lpi  is compiled  without error . but    ffserver.exe   cound not run. The result is in Attach

The FileCtrlExPkg.pkg is  missing when  ffe.lpi(in explorermy dir) is compiled.

fpc : fixes_2_6      r19871
lazarus : fixes_0_9_30 r34261

TinyPortal © 2005-2018