Recent

Author Topic: New one - I lost my IDE configuration. HELP!!  (Read 8643 times)

WickedDum

New one - I lost my IDE configuration. HELP!!
« on: November 08, 2016, 01:27:39 am »
I took a break.  I decided to reboot my current project when I came back.  I did.  My Lazarus went away but didn't come back the same.  :'( :'(

When it came back, it showed a dialog window showing me the locations of the default configuration files.  I took the defaults.  When I clicked OK, it came back with a different IDE display.  I LOST MY IDE CONFIGURATION!!  :o

I have saved my configuration before as the default.  It has closed and re-opened as it should.  But the 'new' Tools->Desktop shows "default docked (active)" and mine "MyDefault" is grayed out and I cannot change back to it.  Error:  "You cannot use docked desktop in undocked environment and vice versa."

Can one of you smart guys or gals help me out, please?

I have spent too much time configuring my desktop over time and I really don't want to do it all again.   :(  Please?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:55:35 pm by WickedDum »
Practice Safe Computing!!

Intel i5-4460K @ 3.2GHz | Win8.1 64-bit | FPC: v3.0 | Lazarus:  v1.6.0

WickedDum

Re: I lost my IDE configuration. HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 01:39:56 am »
It happened again!  This is REALLY FRUSTRATING!!!!

When I turned my monitors on this morning, all of the different windows of my IDE were mixed up...  Why?  Argghh!!

I set it up AGAIN the way I like it.  And I ensured it was saved.  That was like...9 hours ago.

About 20 minutes ago, I closed Lazarus.  When I re-opened it, the desktop was not displayed as it was when I closed it...  I went to Tools->Desktop to select a saved desktop.  The three I saved were not there.  I found one in a different directory.  When I tried to use it, I received the error message:

'Anchor not found: Node="ObjectInspectorDlg"
Anchors[akTop]="AnchorDockSite11".'

What is the default directory that the desktop configurations are supposed to be saved in?

I'm wasting a lot of time setting up my desktop over and over again.  What am I doing wrong?

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
Re: New one - I lost my IDE configuration. HELP!!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 01:51:04 am »
Report a bug?

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 11:16:11 am »
I have saved my configuration before as the default.  It has closed and re-opened as it should.  But the 'new' Tools->Desktop shows "default docked (active)" and mine "MyDefault" is grayed out and I cannot change back to it.  Error:  "You cannot use docked desktop in undocked environment and vice versa."

AnchorDocking gives docking support to the IDE. The desktop settings are different for docked  and undocked IDE.
You should either keep AnchorDocking installed or keep it uninstalled, don't switch it very often.
This situation is not ideal of course but that's how things are now.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

WickedDum

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 06:55:03 pm »
Thanks for your responses!

AGGHHH!!  It did it again this morning. :o >:( %)

I don't like to uninstall anything.

I have AnchorDockingDsgn 0.5 (lpk) installed.  I'll see if I can figure out why it is not keeping the configuration.  And I will have to see what AnchorDocking (lpk) has to offer...  Thought I did all of this before...   %)

Can I load both of them or would they compete against each other?

@lainz - A bug report sounds good!

I realize that with 'free' software you are giving up certain amenities...but my desktop configuration shouldn't be one of them...   :(

Thanks!

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 07:16:38 pm »
I have AnchorDockingDsgn 0.5 (lpk) installed.  I'll see if I can figure out why it is not keeping the configuration.  And I will have to see what AnchorDocking (lpk) has to offer...  Thought I did all of this before...   %)

Can I load both of them or would they compete against each other?
Sorry I was inaccurate. AnchorDockingDsgn is the right package for Lazarus IDE, AnchorDocking is the same thing but for user applications made with Lazarus.

@lainz - A bug report sounds good!
Before reporting anything, please try with Lazarus trunk. IIRC it has improvements for the desktop feature.
Soon a bug fix release 1.6.2 will come out but it will not have those improvements.
Please remember that AnchorDocking is still not perfect and thus is not installed by default.
Lazarus trunk is pretty good and stable most of times, although serious production work with it is not recommended.
If you can reproduce the same docking config issue with Lazarus trunk, then please report.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

WickedDum

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 07:45:29 pm »
No problem! 

Uhhhh...what is "Lazarus trunk"?  And..."IIRC"?

Thanks!

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus

WickedDum

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 02:33:38 am »
 %) %) %) %) %) %) %)

My IDE configuration did not return as hoped...again.  I don't even have any desktops listed under Tools->Desktops...!  (see "NoDesktopDisplay.jpg").  This picture also shows how the desktop is messed up.

I'm hoping to get this setup on a regular basis:  "PreferredSetup.jog".

@Handoko - I don't see a version labeled 'trunk'.  Which one should I select?  https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2032%20bits/

Although I am on a 64bit system, I understand that I should be running 32bit Lazarus.  Correct?

%) %) %) %) %) %) %)

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 04:02:28 am »

I don't use trunk, not much I can say about it.

Although I am on a 64bit system, I understand that I should be running 32bit Lazarus.  Correct?

Usually 64-bit system can run 32-bit applications without problem. But in most cases, 64-bit programs can has better performance.

About the Desktop, it is located under Tools menu. Please see the attached picture.

WickedDum

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 04:20:26 am »
My bad.  Sorry, Handoko.

Before reporting anything, please try with Lazarus trunk.
I don't see a version labeled 'trunk'.  Which one should I select?  https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2032%20bits/

Lazarus trunk is pretty good and stable most of times, although serious production work with it is not recommended.
If you can reproduce the same docking config issue with Lazarus trunk, then please report.
I will try the 'trunk' to test the IDE desktop configuration.  If it is not stable, I don't want to run it all of the time... 

Is there a trick to having two active Lazarus configurations on the same machine?

I believe I read that even though I am using a 64bit system, I should be running 32bit Lazarus.  Correct?

@Handoko - Thanks, but there were no desktop configurations listed.  The window was empty.

Thanks for all of your help!

molly

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 04:42:42 am »
I don't see a version labeled 'trunk'.  Which one should I select?
None that are listed inside the link you posted. Trunk is what is the latest devlopment version which can be found in the svn tree.

That usually means you have to install version control for your system and check out the sources, then build lazarus from source. I would personally not advise to do so, seeing that you already seem to struggle with some of the more easier things in life (such as keeping your lazarus configuration from being send into oblivion  :P ) .

An alternative to the requirement of svn (and working with it) is to download the latest sources from ftp (*). I assume you are able to guess that Lazarus 1.7 means the latest from trunk  :)

But, do check the date as this snapshot is not updated on a daily base, only when required (i will not bore you with the technical reasons of the what, why and when).

This does mean you have to compile lazarus yourself, see also wiki (but skip the svn related parts). Alternative link without svn stuff.

Also note this is important, that you do not start your freshly compiled lazarus without taking precautions. Your second lazarus should always use another configuration directory or it will most definitely screw up your existing lazarus configuration and could even cause your old lazarus to not start correctly.

Is there a trick to having two active Lazarus configurations on the same machine?
yes, see wiki.

I believe I read that even though I am using a 64bit system, I should be running 32bit Lazarus.  Correct?
It doesn't matter one bit which version you have installed and/or running except that you would have to install another additional package in order to be able to target the other windows platform. So that usually means that when you still produce a lot of 32 bit applications it is probably easier to install the 32 bit version so that you won't have to cross-compile. But that is from pure personal point of view.

(*) i am 100% done with correcting perfectly valid url's.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:55:32 am by molly »

HatForCat

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 09:03:47 pm »
This is exactly the problems I am having too.

@WickedDum:
Are you using Linux Mint 18?

I just installed the same .deb files in Ubuntu and NOW (not) having that problem.

{edit}
OOOPS make the "NOW having this problem."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:36:04 pm by HatForCat »
Acer-i5, 2.6GHz, 6GB, 500GB-SSD, Mint-19.3, Cinnamon Desktop, Lazarus 2.0.6, SQLite3

WickedDum

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 03:18:22 am »
Sorry for the slow response.

@HatForCat - My signature line shows my system, etc.:

In the past X number of years, I have used many different flavors of UNIX.  It's hard enough (for me) to keep up with Windows...  :(

Kudos for all those involved in FreePascal and Lazarus.  I have learned MUCH from many members of this forum.  I just wish someone would take a look at the problems we are having with the IDE...  :|

TinyPortal © 2005-2018