Recent

Author Topic: Unable to install on El Capitan, Xcode and command-line tools installed  (Read 7335 times)

MarkTheStrange

When I run the fpc 3.0.0 installer, I get a message indicating that my primary hard disk is not available because I don't have Xcode and the command-line tools installed.  But I have both installed and up-to-date, so I have no idea what it's complaining about.

When I try to run "sudo xcode-select --install" even though the cli tools are already there, I get a message saying that the requested software is not available from the update server - which I'm told is a normal (if misleading) message when the software is already installed.  Which I know it is because I do nothing *but* command-line development.

I'm on OS X 10.11.3, with XCode 7.3.1 installed via the Mac App Store.

Any suggestions welcome.

Phil

Did you download the installer for the command line tools from Apple's Dev Center? That's what I always use.

-Phil

Jonas Maebe

The installer checks whether /usr/lib/crt1.o exists. This file does not exist until the command line tools are explicitly installed (this is separate from "clang" etc being available on the command line). Have you also checked the updates section of the App Store application? Maybe you upgraded Xcode, but not the command line tools (you can only upgrade them via the App Store application after initially installing them via xcode-select).

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
Re: Unable to install on El Capitan, Xcode and command-line tools installed
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 02:16:56 pm »
I'm also having trouble installing Lazarus 1.6 on El Capitan 10.11.5. Xcode 8.1 is installed, as is:

Command_Line_Tools_OS_X_10.11_for_Xcode_7.3.1

Lazarus will compile a basic empty application, but when running it both the green "Run" and red "Stop" buttons remain on but do not work, the application does not appear, and I have to force quit Lazarus.  :'(

Any suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,
VTwin   
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

VTwin

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 02:21:46 pm »
The installer checks whether /usr/lib/crt1.o exists. This file does not exist until the command line tools are explicitly installed (this is separate from "clang" etc being available on the command line). Have you also checked the updates section of the App Store application? Maybe you upgraded Xcode, but not the command line tools (you can only upgrade them via the App Store application after initially installing them via xcode-select).

/usr/lib/crt1.o is present. Xcode and tools are installed. Do I need to run xcode-select?

VTwin

Also I see that gdb-7.11.1 is installed.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:26:41 pm by VTwin »

VTwin

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 01:40:45 am »
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. sudo xcode-select --install

says that the the command line tools are already installed. :(

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:44:40 am by VTwin »

Phil

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 02:07:04 am »
I'm also having trouble installing Lazarus 1.6 on El Capitan 10.11.5. Xcode 8.1 is installed, as is:

Command_Line_Tools_OS_X_10.11_for_Xcode_7.3.1

Lazarus will compile a basic empty application, but when running it both the green "Run" and red "Stop" buttons remain on but do not work, the application does not appear, and I have to force quit Lazarus.  :'(

Some reason why you hijacked an unrelated thread?

In any case, you should install the same version of command line tools as the Xcode version.

Nevertheless, I doubt if your Lazarus problem has anything to do with Xcode. Can you run the app outside of Lazarus? If so, then the problem is Lazarus and its debugging. It uses the old gdb debugger. It does not use the Xcode debugger. You have to locate and install gdb yourself.

VTwin

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 10:58:02 pm »
Phil,

Thanks. Sorry, I thought it was a similar situation ("unable to install on El Capitan, Xcode and command-line tools installed").

gdb was also installed and codesigned. It turns out I had to force a new codesign using the -f option. It works now.

VTwin

Phil

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 11:20:40 pm »
gdb was also installed and codesigned. It turns out I had to force a new codesign using the -f option. It works now.

Good to hear.

I don't believe Lazarus itself uses anything from Xcode. Only FPC uses Xcode command line tools' assembler, linker, etc.

VTwin

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 12:13:56 am »
Thanks. Good to know. gdb issues have tripped me up a few times on Mac, usually Windows and Linux installation goes smoother.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018