Recent

Author Topic: Win Message at start-up 'Publisher Not Verified'  (Read 2906 times)

J-G

Win Message at start-up 'Publisher Not Verified'
« on: October 27, 2016, 07:01:27 pm »
I'm sure my latest project used to start immediately but recently when running from a desktop short-cut Icon it throws up the Unknown Publisher message.

I've just spent an hour searching through the [Project Options] but can't see anything in there where I can insert a publisher notice  - or whatever needs to be done to circumvent this behaviour.

I'm just off to a choir rehearsal so won't be able to respond to any replies until about mid-night !!
FPC 3.0.0 - Lazarus 1.6 &
FPC 3.2.2  - Lazarus 2.2.0 
Win 7 Ult 64

Fungus

Re: Win Message at start-up 'Publisher Not Verified'
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:40:16 pm »
I'm not 100% sure but this sound like a signing issue. There are different ways to sign an executable but you could try SignTool which is part of the Windows SDK. You could also try to disable verification of signing for your executable - dunno how, though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:42:34 pm by Fungus »

Phil

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 10:18:01 pm »
I'm sure my latest project used to start immediately but recently when running from a desktop short-cut Icon it throws up the Unknown Publisher message.

What version of Windows? Does it block the app or just require you to confirm that it's okay to run the app? And do you get this same message when running the app by double-clicking it in Explorer or running it from command line?

Sounds like something changed on your system recently. Before you start chasing after code signing, I would determine what it was that changed that triggered this message.

Lazarus is of no help with code signing. That varies by platform. On Windows, MS's SDK includes signtool.exe that is typically used to sign installer executables. It's easy to use. Obtaining the certificate and figuring out what to do with it will be harder. (Perhaps why Lazarus does not bother even to sign its own installers.) I followed this account several years ago with my first certificate:

https://margopowell.wordpress.com/2009/02/19/global-sign-code-signing-certificate-installation/

Good luck.

J-G

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 02:52:09 am »
Thanks for your input Phil & Fungus.

I've now checked the other projects I've written since finding FP & Laz in August and all of them have the same issue.

The message is just 'Confirm that you really want to run this unknown program' -- the program runs once I click [Run].

I can't think of any specific changes to my system - other than installing Lazarus/FP plus the two packages JuJiBo and BGRA I've had stable system for at least two years.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Laz 1.6, FP 3 

Now THAT is interesting  - - -  I've just run my latest project by double clicking in Explorer and it started immediately, if anything quicker than after clicking [Run] ???? (we are talking milliseconds).
... and that goes for all the other projects I've written (there are only 4). They are all compiled for 32 bit i386  -  I'm sure someone will ask :)

.EXE size is 1.59Mb, 1.67Mb, 2.60 and 2.61Mb  and the latest is 2.96Mb

Furthermore NOW all my older projects run immediately from their Desktop Icons (since I've run them by double-clicking in Explorer) but the latest project still demands that I confirm it's OK ????
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:44:16 pm by J-G »
FPC 3.0.0 - Lazarus 1.6 &
FPC 3.2.2  - Lazarus 2.2.0 
Win 7 Ult 64

TinyPortal © 2005-2018