Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 836071 times)

wp

Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #1155 on: February 18, 2018, 12:01:34 pm »
Yes, but you cannot expect that GetMem does this job; it is a full-time job which cannot be handled by anybody voluntarily. I am maintaining a hand-full of packages, and it already blows my mind.  But OPM contains 224!

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #1156 on: February 18, 2018, 01:38:25 pm »
Yes, but you cannot expect that GetMem does this job; it is a full-time job which cannot be handled by anybody voluntarily. I am maintaining a hand-full of packages, and it already blows my mind.  But OPM contains 224!
Quite.  But this was discussed at the start and GetMem volunteered.  The only alternative I can see is to expand and implement the voting system to include categories like compatibility, stability, maintenance etc.  It's the Wiki principle.
In that way, users can avoid unsuitable components possibly submitted without initial vetting/evaluation.

my 2 €
GPL Apps: Health MonitorRetro Ski Run
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

molly

« Reply #1157 on: February 18, 2018, 02:14:46 pm »
Quite.  But this was discussed at the start and GetMem volunteered.
I might perhaps be wrong but afaik all that GetMem volunteered to do is to implement/maintain OPM (not the packages themselves), and add some initial packages. Not volunteering to maintain those packages and/or keep them all up to date with every change in LCL (except for his own packages, i presume  :)).

If that would to be expected of GetMem then i can only give him 1 advise and that is to ditch every package that isn't maintained anymore the moment it breaks due to LCL changes.

imho he's already going out of a limb by updating packages from trunk while i myself was only expecting OPM to contain (by 3th party developers) maintained and stable released packages.

In that regards the addition of adding support for trunk/svn compilation within OPM is a) already a sign at the wall and b) a good choice for those that are too lazy to compile sources from trunk themselves because they can't wait for the next stable release. This way there is at least some pressure-release.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #1158 on: February 18, 2018, 03:09:36 pm »
In that way, users can avoid unsuitable components possibly submitted without initial vetting/evaluation.
Somehow you have misunderstood the issue again. Every component is initially submitted only after evaluation and scrutiny by the OPM admin, currently GetMem. The update link can be used only after that. It means the package maintainer can be trusted at that point.
I also didn't like this hybrid repository / update system at first. It mixed 2 competing design goals and the GUI was confusing as noted earlier. However it may be a good compromise between strict administration and flexibility.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1159 on: February 19, 2018, 08:48:31 am »
I implemented wp's idea about merging the "Install" and "Update" buttons (r. 57328), now the package installation is less confusing. Thanks again wp. One limitation still exists though, namely the packages must be installed from the central repository first. Technically OPM can install directly from external source, but I prefer to keep this separation mainly because:
1. When installed from the central repository every dependency is resolved correctly. I test newly added packages both on windows and linux, with the latest stable version of lazarus. The packages are usually stable releases, except a few with slow release cycle like: synapse, indy, etc...
2. The user will be able to distinguish between a safe source(repository) and a less safe external link. Maybe I'm a little bit paranoid, but I really don't want to have any legal issues(although highly unlikely), with packages installed from somewhere else.

PS: I will not implement package install from SVN or GIT(at least not in the near future), because in my opinion it will cause more issues and confusion. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:55:14 am by GetMem »

wp

« Reply #1160 on: February 19, 2018, 11:32:24 am »
One limitation still exists though, namely the packages must be installed from the central repository first. Technically OPM can install directly from external source, but I prefer to keep this separation mainly because:
1. When installed from the central repository every dependency is resolved correctly. I test newly added packages both on windows and linux, with the latest stable version of lazarus. The packages are usually stable releases, except a few with slow release cycle like: synapse, indy, etc...
2. The user will be able to distinguish between a safe source(repository) and a less safe external link. Maybe I'm a little bit paranoid, but I really don't want to have any legal issues(although highly unlikely), with packages installed from somewhere else.
No problem with this basically. I can't find an example to test how this works in practice. But ideally there should be some kind of feedback to the user that he must install from Repository first. Is "Install from externeal" disabled if the package has not yet been installed from Repo? It probably should be disabled also if there is no external source (no update-json file). At the moment, it seems that both menu items are enabled always.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1161 on: February 19, 2018, 01:16:09 pm »
But ideally there should be some kind of feedback to the user that he must install from Repository first.
The user has no other choice. The old "Update" now "External" column is empty(-) until the package is installed from the repository,  even if a valid external link is available. 

Is "Install from externeal" disabled if the package has not yet been installed from Repo? It probably should be disabled also if there is no external source (no update-json file). At the moment, it seems that both menu items are enabled always.
The user can check 2, 3 even 10 packages at the same time. Let's say 3 is installed and has links to external source, 7 does not , how should OPM proceed in this particular case? Disable or not the "From external source" menu item. I choose to always keep the menu item enabled and display a message when needed, like this: "Package X,  package Y is not available from an external source and will be skipped". Do you wish to continue?"

wp

« Reply #1162 on: February 19, 2018, 01:42:28 pm »
Perfect

M.A.R.C.

« Reply #1163 on: February 26, 2018, 10:17:37 am »
Hi GetMem,

In the laz_synapse40_1 package, the unit ssl_openssl.pas is missing from the file list. It is necessary for compile internettools package in Linux.

balazsszekely

« Reply #1164 on: February 26, 2018, 11:07:17 am »
Hi M.A.R.C,

Please try it again.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:45:54 am by GetMem »

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #1165 on: February 28, 2018, 04:23:33 pm »

balazsszekely

« Reply #1166 on: February 28, 2018, 07:16:03 pm »
Hi lainz,

I added xmailer 1.0. To prevent duplicates, I removed the internal sysnapse(xmailer) and linked the package to the synapse from OPM. It works fine, but just to be sure you can also run a few tests.

lainz

« Reply #1167 on: February 28, 2018, 07:22:49 pm »
Thanks. I will test.

Edit: it works with Outlook / Hotmail, but Gmail sent me a warning that a non secure application want to use my account.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:16:27 pm by lainz »

balazsszekely

« Reply #1168 on: February 28, 2018, 10:17:40 pm »
Edit: it works with Outlook / Hotmail, but Gmail sent me a warning that a non secure application want to use my account.
It has nothing to do with the component itself, it's gmail policy I'm affraid. Please see here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

lainz

« Reply #1169 on: March 01, 2018, 02:25:28 pm »
Ok, It's Gmail.

I've tested it on Linux and does not work (with Outlook).

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. SSL error: TSendMail

I have SSL installed on Ubuntu. I will keep trying.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018