Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 839009 times)

balazsszekely

Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #810 on: May 07, 2017, 09:26:20 am »
@lainz
Hi GetMem, I've added a small but useful thing to this website, is search highlight, so the text anyone inputs in the search field will be highlighted in each component result:
https://github.com/lazarusccr/LazarusPackagesRepository
I updated the files. Thank you!

A note: the search will look somewhat slower than without the highlight, the plugin is not doing the page slow, but I've set 250 milliseconds between the last character you type before triggering the search, so it in fact uses less resources, and the highlighter can be used with no problems with words of any length.
I see no noticeable difference in speed, so everything is ok. It's a useful feature.

balazsszekely

« Reply #811 on: May 14, 2017, 10:09:48 am »
From now on is possible to uninstall one or more packages directly from OPM(r. 54908).

PS: Did somebody noticed that laz2_xmlcfg.pas is leaking? Until now I wasn't able to locate the source of the leak.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:13:22 am by GetMem »

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #812 on: May 14, 2017, 12:41:58 pm »
From now on is possible to uninstall one or more packages directly from OPM(r. 54908).
Much appreciated feature. Thank you!  ;)
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #813 on: May 14, 2017, 01:07:44 pm »
It is getting better and better and I have it on by default (ok, because in 1.9 it's on by default  :D ).
Now THAT'S a feature!
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #814 on: June 08, 2017, 02:36:31 am »
Notes from testing OPM with latest NewPascal on 64-bit Win10:

LazSerial should be updated to v0.2 from https://github.com/JurassicPork/TLazSerial. The old v0.1 version found in OPM has conflict with Synapse (although it can be easily fixed by hand).

Web Service Toolkit has too many compilation errors to fix by hand. Solved using CodeTyphon version converted with ct2laz.

Everything else I was interested in seams to work out of the box.

Great work! I really like OPM and I am very happy to see it becoming part of Lazarus  8)

balazsszekely

« Reply #815 on: June 08, 2017, 07:04:43 am »
@avra

LazSerial should be updated to v0.2 from https://github.com/JurassicPork/TLazSerial. The old v0.1 version found in OPM has conflict with Synapse (although it can be easily fixed by hand).
Updated.

Web Service Toolkit has too many compilation errors to fix by hand. Solved using CodeTyphon version converted with ct2laz.
It works fine for me(Lazarus trunk/FPC 3.0.2). I don't mind replacing with your version if it compiles with Laz 1.8/Trunk. Can you please upload somewhere the zip file?

Great work! I really like OPM and I am very happy to see it becoming part of Lazarus  8)
Thank you.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #816 on: June 08, 2017, 10:44:56 am »
Doesn't compile here either. First error:
 semaphore.pas(83,18) Error: identifier idents no member "SemaphoreInit"

OPM has version 0.6.0 of WST which is old. It is known not to work.
WST trunk works:
 https://svn.code.sf.net/p/lazarus-ccr/svn/wst/trunk

In SWT's mailing list:
 http://groups.google.com/group/wst-list
I have asked for a new release already at late last year in thread
 "New version of WST needed, Lazarus online package manager".
Inoussa answered then but not any more after it.
He may be busy or his motivation has gone down. It is possible WST will not be actively maintained. He would need a co-maintainer for WST.

BTW, who made the WebServiceToolkit package for OPM? I don't think Inoussa made it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:49:16 am by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

balazsszekely

« Reply #817 on: June 08, 2017, 11:18:42 am »
@JuhaManninen
BTW, who made the WebServiceToolkit package for OPM? I don't think Inoussa made it.
I did. A few month ago I took the trunk version from Inoussa's webpage and created the package for OPM. I did not modify the version number(1.6) since officially there is no new release. The WST from OPM compiles with Laz 1.8/Trunk, FPC 3.0.2, Win7.

PS:I did not check if there are new commits since then.

Edit: A single commit(r. 5823) was made in march 28, 2017.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:24:34 am by GetMem »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #818 on: June 08, 2017, 12:17:28 pm »
The WST from OPM compiles with Laz 1.8/Trunk, FPC 3.0.2, Win7.
I tested with FPC trunk. I will test with FPC 3.0.2 later.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #819 on: June 08, 2017, 08:52:12 pm »
Updated.
Thank you so much. Less manual work for me in the future.  ::)

It works fine for me(Lazarus trunk/FPC 3.0.2). I don't mind replacing with your version if it compiles with Laz 1.8/Trunk. Can you please upload somewhere the zip file?
Let me check first how that trunk that Juha mentioned behaves with what I got, and if I can catch some time next week then I will try to provide a patch. If FPC version is suspected to be guilty, then it would really help if someone determines what version breaks the compilation. I would like to maintain compatibility with current FPC 3.0.2 if possible with some ifdefs.

In case anyone is really curious then just use latest ct2laz and with it's default settings when you press on "CT => LAZ" button, it will download all CT examples and components and convert them to be ready for manual installation in Lazarus. WST will be in pl_WST directory. That works for me on 2 previously mentioned Lazarus installations (one FPC trunk and one FPC 3 months old).

Doesn't compile here either. First error:
 semaphore.pas(83,18) Error: identifier idents no member "SemaphoreInit"
Huh, this might turn to be harder then I suspected. I had different error...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:10:56 pm by avra »

balazsszekely

« Reply #820 on: June 08, 2017, 10:36:45 pm »
I downloaded then ifdef-ed the latest version. It should be ok now. Tested with:
- FPC 3.0.0, FPC 3.0.2, FPC trunk
- Lazarus 1.8, Lazarus trunk
- win32/64, gtk2, carbon

Please test.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #821 on: June 09, 2017, 12:22:28 am »
I downloaded then ifdef-ed the latest version. It should be ok now. Tested with:
- win32/64, gtk2, carbon
It does not work with FPC trunk on any OS except for Windows because unit semaphore in WST has {$DEFINE FPC_TM}.
For Windows it is not defined for some reason.
Then the code uses TThreadManager which I guess has changed a lot in FPC trunk resulting many errors.
This is not specific to the version in OPM, the same code is in WST trunk.
WST development has not been active recently, there is only 1 commit this year and the previous one is from October 2016.

Now I am worried that you people essentially fork the WST project and maintain a competing OPM version. It is waste of resources. In some situations a fork is good but not in this situation, as apparently the official maintainer is busy or tired. The OPM fork does not even use revision control which makes things worse.
WST sources are in Lazarus CCR repo. We can now take the liberty to commit bug fixes there. Then only the release version of WST for OPM would be outside the "official" releases. I guess all people involved (myself, GetMem, Avra) have commit rights to CCR. (?)
Fixes can be backported from CodeTyphon as much as needed. That is the beauty of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software).

We also must try to contact Inoussa more. He has not answered the WST mailing list.

balazsszekely

« Reply #822 on: June 09, 2017, 07:05:31 am »
@Juha
Now I am worried that you people essentially fork the WST project and maintain a competing OPM version. It is waste of resources. In some situations a fork is good but not in this situation, as apparently the official maintainer is busy or tired. The OPM fork does not even use revision control which makes things worse.
I'm not planning to fork or maintain any other package, it's indeed a waste of resources. However I don't like when packages from OPM does not work, it looks like OPM is broken. This is why sometimes(rarely) I do make small modification, especially when packages are no longer maintained. The modification are almost always IFDEFS to make the package compatible with the latest Lazarus/FPC versions. In this particular case(WST) time is in our side, since the issue affect only FPC trunk users.

I guess all people involved (myself, GetMem, Avra) have commit rights to CCR. (?)
AFAIK I don't have commit rights.

Fixes can be backported from CodeTyphon as much as needed. That is the beauty of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software).
I don't use CodeTyphon, so I hope @Avra will backport it. I will add the backported version to OPM.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #823 on: June 09, 2017, 07:18:18 am »
This is why sometimes(rarely) I do make small modification, especially when packages are no longer maintained.
Yes, that is already forking because the changes do not go to the original project.
It is an understandable fork and nothing serious but we should always think how to get the changes to the actual project.

I don't use CodeTyphon, so I hope @Avra will backport it. I will add the backported version to OPM.
Backports must go to the actual project in CCR. Then it can be used for OPM. I can commit to CCR if somebody without commit rights provides patches.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #824 on: June 09, 2017, 09:27:26 am »
Backports must go to the actual project in CCR. Then it can be used for OPM.
That was my initial plan hopefully scheduled for next week.

I can commit to CCR if somebody without commit rights provides patches.
CCR is in Mantis, so maybe I should go that path? If not for any reason, then it is not a problem for me to send you patches.

- win32/64, gtk2, carbon
It does not work with FPC trunk on any OS except for Windows because unit semaphore in WST has {$DEFINE FPC_TM}.
For Windows it is not defined for some reason.
Then the code uses TThreadManager which I guess has changed a lot in FPC trunk resulting many errors.
@GetMem: To avoid duplicate work please send me ifdefed version to avra at writeme dot com.
@Juha: It is not clear to me if you have these errors trying to install CT version on FPC trunk only on non Windows OS, or you have it also on Windows? It works for me on Windows. Haven't tested elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:29:30 am by avra »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018