Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 834823 times)

balazsszekely

Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #780 on: March 30, 2017, 10:02:03 am »
The value from column "Repository" 0.1.0.0 is correct(I did not had the chance to update the main repository yet), the "installed" version(0.1.1.0) is also correct since you installed from your working repository, however in the "update" column instead of "-" you should see the update version taken from "update_spktoolbar.json". It works fine for me, the json is downloaded, parsed and the value is displayed correctly in the tree(screenshot).

wp

« Reply #781 on: March 30, 2017, 10:31:36 am »
however in the "update" column instead of "-" you should see the update version taken from "update_spktoolbar.json". It works fine for me, the json is downloaded, parsed and the value is displayed correctly in the tree(screenshot).
And this happens because my system is "up to date"?

balazsszekely

« Reply #782 on: March 30, 2017, 10:48:19 am »
@wp
If all you can see in the update column is "-" then is a bug. I thought I fixed today, but apparently not.

PS: Can somebody else install SpkToolbar? After a rebuild + a few minutes wait, is the update column empty? Thanks in advance for testing.

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #783 on: March 30, 2017, 01:01:20 pm »
@wp
If all you can see in the update column is "-" then is a bug. I thought I fixed today, but apparently not.

PS: Can somebody else install SpkToolbar? After a rebuild + a few minutes wait, is the update column empty? Thanks in advance for testing.
I have an older version of OPM. On opening it updated spktoolbar to V0.1.1.0.  So no problems with the package version, location, JSON etc.
HTH
GPL Apps: Health MonitorRetro Ski Run
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

balazsszekely

« Reply #784 on: March 30, 2017, 01:10:29 pm »
Thank you @minesadorada. In the past the update feature worked well. It was extensively tested by you and others. However after march 14, OPM went through a heavy refactoring which caused the latest bug. I fixed the bug today(or at least I thought I did), however still not works for @wp. I cannot decide is a specific setting in @wp's computer or a general bug. This is why I was hoping somebody else with the latest trunk can run a few tests. Anyway thanks for your feedback.

wp

« Reply #785 on: March 30, 2017, 01:28:35 pm »
I have another trunk installation which never had seen spktoolbar. I updated to current trunk and opened OPM: spktoolbar was marked as not being installed, repository version 0.1.0.0. Installed it --> OPM tells me that there is a new version. Installed that too, and it is displayed correctly as installed 0.1.1.0, update 0.1.1.0, status up to date.

My feeling is that there is some kind of conflict if a package is installed from another source and this one is up to date as well. The other source here is my local repository of my development vesion.

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #786 on: March 30, 2017, 02:40:25 pm »
Thank you @minesadorada. In the past the update feature worked well. It was extensively tested by you and others. However after march 14, OPM went through a heavy refactoring which caused the latest bug. I fixed the bug today(or at least I thought I did), however still not works for @wp. I cannot decide is a specific setting in @wp's computer or a general bug. This is why I was hoping somebody else with the latest trunk can run a few tests. Anyway thanks for your feedback.
Sorry @GetMem, OPM still won't compile after I update fpc trunk and lazarus trunk to latest builds.   It will be a path conflict on my system I expect, but I can't seem to track it down.  I thought it might be useful to isolate the error to the OPM code rather than anything else.

Good luck with your bug-busting!
GPL Apps: Health MonitorRetro Ski Run
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

balazsszekely

« Reply #787 on: March 30, 2017, 02:45:58 pm »
@wp
To simulate your configuration, I did  the following:
1. Delete everything(lazarus and config dir)
2. Checkout, build IDE, install OPM etc...
3. Install SpkToolbar 0.1.1.0 from sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus-ccr/files/SpkToolbar/spktoolbar-0.1.1.zip/download, first I copied SpkToolbar to $(LazarusDir)\components folder, so it has nothing to do with OPM install dir.

After 1-2 minutes the update column show the correct value, so everything works fine. I'm really puzzled by this one.

balazsszekely

« Reply #788 on: March 30, 2017, 02:53:11 pm »
@minesadorada
Sorry @GetMem, OPM still won't compile after I update fpc trunk and lazarus trunk to latest builds.   It will be a path conflict on my system I expect, but I can't seem to track it down.  I thought it might be useful to isolate the error to the OPM code rather than anything else.
Good luck with your bug-busting!

I'm almost certain that the problem is with your fpc configuration. You're using older fpc source, because the "Terminate" procedure was recently added to fpc by @michael. If lazarus cannot find it, it means the fpc source are not the most recent one. However there is a temporary workaround, you can instruct OPM to use it's own internal fphttpclient. Just open "opkman_fpcdef.inc"and remove the second part so FPC311 is become undefined, this way force OPM tol use an internal version of httpclient.

wp

« Reply #789 on: April 12, 2017, 10:19:45 am »
GetMem, same problem again: Yesterday I uploaded a new version of fpspreadsheet 1.8.2 and updated the json file, but OPM keeps telling me that the most current version is 1.8.0 even on a Lazarus installation (today's r54612) which never had seen fpspreadsheet. I even downloaded one of the fpspreadsheet packages, and it IS 1.8.0.

The json looks correct to me now:
Code: [Select]
{
  "UpdatePackageData" : {
    "DisableInOPM" : false,
    "DownloadZipURL" : "https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus-ccr/files/FPSpreadsheet/fpspreadsheet-1.8.2.zip/download",
    "Name" : "fpspreadsheet"
  },
  "UpdatePackageFiles" : [
    {
      "ForceNotify" : false,
      "InternalVersion" : 1,
      "Name" : "laz_fpspreadsheet.lpk",
      "Version" : "1.8.2.0"
    },
    {
      "Name" : "laz_fpspreadsheetexport_visual.lpk",
    },
    {
      "Name" : "laz_fpspreadsheet_visual.lpk",
    }
  ]
}

balazsszekely

« Reply #790 on: April 12, 2017, 12:00:45 pm »
@wp
I'm aware that the update column/button is somewhat confusing. Initially I only wanted a central repository + a tool to easily update the repository. Unfortunately this raises a few security issues. I don't want to go into the details since it was discussed many times before in this thread. So instead we(forum users) decided to go with the so called "Update" feature, which allows the package maintainer to easily notify a user about a new update. The update feature has at least two drawbacks, beside the confusion:
    1. You have to install the package from the central repository first. Although technically OPM can install directly from an update page, it's not allowed because of the possible unresolved dependency issues
    2. It's not 100% safe. I mean a package maintainer with bad intention, it can(at least in theory) install a malware, especially under windows
On the other hand the update feature also has a great advantage: it removes the workload from the central repository and pass it to the package maintainers, this way making the whole system sustainable in the long run.

PS: I made a small video: https://youtu.be/wiN2GoCvgjc . Please watch it and tell me if OPM behaves the same at your side. Also please suggest another approach for the update system if you consider the current one flawed.

wp

« Reply #791 on: April 12, 2017, 12:25:50 pm »
OK, I understand now - I should have read the wiki, it explains everything correctly.

That Lazarus installation which never had seen fpspreadsheet exactly behaves like what you show in your video.

My fpspreadsheet folder has not been installed from repository, therefore, I don't get notified of updates. But why not? Look at the attached screenshof of OPM running on this Lazarus: OPM is detecting that
(1) fpspreadsheet is installed
(2) fpspreadsheet is up to date.

Why can't it also look for my update json file and get the current release version number and display it? I think this is the main source of my confusion.

balazsszekely

« Reply #792 on: April 12, 2017, 02:07:24 pm »
Why can't it also look for my update json file and get the current release version number and display it? I think this is the main source of my confusion.
After I saw your screen shot it hit me. The installed version is bigger then the one available for update, so OPM doesn't display it since technically it's not an update. I thought this is logical but I was wrong. Fixed in r54616. Thanks @wp for the usual help.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:08:58 pm by GetMem »

wp

« Reply #793 on: April 12, 2017, 02:30:29 pm »
Yes, sounds promising. But my development version still does not show the update version number.

balazsszekely

« Reply #794 on: April 12, 2017, 02:53:45 pm »
Yes, sounds promising. But my development version still does not show the update version number.
This is strange...I will investigate further. 

TinyPortal © 2005-2018