Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 835882 times)

minesadorada

• Retired
Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #435 on: December 06, 2016, 10:42:56 am »
Perhaps ForceUpdate is the wrong word. I mean you cannot force anything, in the end the user decides if he/she want to update or not. However if you want to notify the user that a new version is available, without actually increasing the version number, you should set ForceUpdate to true. From the users point of view there is no difference between ForceUpdate = true(same version number) or an increased version number, they will see the same "alert" message, namely that a new version is available for download/install. Force update is for the package maintainers, I explained in my previous post why I consider it useful. If you don't like the idea, no problem, we can come up with something better.

However we need a system that makes possible to trigger an update message, without increasing the version number. I' m open to suggestions.

Now you've explained it, I think it's a good feature as it is.  The hint text on the GUI editor is "'This option should only be used for crucial updates or bug-fixed packages. Are you OK with that?'"

I can see the difficulty with expiring the notification though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:57:07 am by minesadorada »
GPL Apps: Health MonitorRetro Ski Run
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

CharlyTango

« Reply #436 on: December 06, 2016, 10:56:40 am »
beeing eager to user OPM i checked it out from the trunk and tried it with Lazarus 1.6

OPM was compilable with Lazarus 1.6 , showed his main window and tried to load the list of available packages.

But it stoppes with an information messagebox

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. Invalid JSON File
  2. "LazSerial": Could not Convert variant of type (Null) into type (String)

furthermore an access violation occured when closing the OPM window

Hope that Info helps getting it stable.

Q: ist there any possibility of a formal bugtracking (let's say in http://bugs.freepascal.org) ?
Lazarus stable, Win32/64

balazsszekely

« Reply #437 on: December 06, 2016, 10:57:52 am »
@minesadorada
You should rename ForceUpdate to ForceNotify both in GUI and in the JSON class(TUpdatePackageData),  ForceNotify is more suggestive. You can also send me the link to a json(one of your packages), so we can run a few test.

balazsszekely

« Reply #438 on: December 06, 2016, 11:00:49 am »
Hi CharlyTango,

Thanks for testing OPM.

Please take the latest trunk version again(I just commited a few changes). After you reinstall the package, go to the OPM Options, then press the "Restore Defaults" button. Your config file points to an older, obsolete repository(hence the error). 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:39:14 am by GetMem »

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #439 on: December 06, 2016, 12:09:31 pm »
@minesadorada
You should rename ForceUpdate to ForceNotify both in GUI and in the JSON class(TUpdatePackageData),  ForceNotify is more suggestive. You can also send me the link to a json(one of your packages), so we can run a few test.
OK. Done.
0.1.16.0: Renamed ForceUpdate to ForceNotify
The translation has somehow messed up - its a work in progress.

I made 2 update jsons; one with forcenotify=true using the new format:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazautoupdate/files/otherpackages/update_cryptini.json
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazautoupdate/files/otherpackages/update_cryptini_force.json
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

balazsszekely

« Reply #440 on: December 06, 2016, 02:55:40 pm »
@minesadorada
Please update to the latest Lazarus trunk then test cryptini update. Thanks!

@lainz
Can you give me the link to your JSON? I will add it later to the main repository.

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #441 on: December 06, 2016, 03:04:28 pm »
@GetMem I have Lazarus 1.7 SVN Revision 52081M - is that OK or do I need to update?

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #442 on: December 06, 2016, 03:48:05 pm »
BGRA Controls
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bgrabitmap/bgracontrols/master/update_bgracontrols.json
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bgrabitmap/bgracontrols/master/update_bgracontrols_force.json

BGRA Controls FX
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bgrabitmap/bgracontrolsfx/master/update_bgracontrolsfx.json
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bgrabitmap/bgracontrolsfx/master/update_bgracontrolsfx_force.json

About BGRA Bitmap, I need to tell circular for what is this first, then we will have one also for bgrabitmap.

When you test that the two works well, I will keep only the first (update_bgracontrols.json) and remove the force one, but I will add the force option to the first.

balazsszekely

« Reply #443 on: December 06, 2016, 04:43:43 pm »
@ minesadorada
Please take the latest version. I'm afraid it's buggy, but at least you can run a few tests.

@lainz
No worries! This is just for testing purposes, still a long way to go, you can tell @circular later. I will add the link as soon as possible.
PS: Done. I added the ForceNotify version just to trigger a message. Please update to the latest trunk.

Thank you guys for you help!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:22:05 pm by GetMem »

CharlyTango

« Reply #444 on: December 06, 2016, 05:18:28 pm »
Hi CharlyTango,

Thanks for testing OPM.

Please take the latest trunk version again(I just commited a few changes). After you reinstall the package, go to the OPM Options, then press the "Restore Defaults" button. Your config file points to an older, obsolete repository(hence the error).

OK, THX -- that worked fine.
OPM main window started and after pressing "Restore Defaults" the package List was retrieved and showed. -- great work - thx

Using OPM shows a "NEW" mark at onlinepackagemanager indicates that version 1.0.1.0 would be available.
Installing the new version via OPM failed -- it seems that an old version is downloaded and it does not work.
The version directly from the trunk is ok.

my 3cents...:

The OP seem to have the potential to a crucial part of Lazarus.
One of the most time consuming tasks ist the safe installation and updating of packages.
Therefore OPM should have the best support -- Did you thought about a category in bugs.freepascal.org ?

The first impression of OPM: Looks fine, but what i miss is a description of the package because i don't know what the seldom used packages do.

Filtering of installed packages and their update status would be nice too.

Good Job -- thx

Lazarus stable, Win32/64

balazsszekely

« Reply #445 on: December 06, 2016, 05:35:37 pm »
@CharlyTango
Using OPM shows a "NEW" mark at onlinepackagemanager indicates that version 1.0.1.0 would be available.
Installing the new version via OPM failed -- it seems that an old version is downloaded and it does not work.
The version directly from the trunk is ok.
Unfortunately the update feature is not yet implemented(we are working on it), for now please ignore it. However you can test all the other functionality.

first impression of OPM: Looks fine, but what i miss is a description of the package because i don't know what the seldom used packages do.
See screenshot1, however not all package has a detailed description, depends on the package maintainer.

Filtering of installed packages and their update status would be nice too.
You can find a lot of filters in the top of the form, I can add more if necessary. See screenshot2

Therefore OPM should have the best support -- Did you thought about a category in bugs.freepascal.org ?
Please report at bugs.freepascal.org(category Lazarus/Packages) or here.

Good Job
Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:33:04 am by GetMem »

lainz

« Reply #446 on: December 06, 2016, 06:22:13 pm »
@lainz
No worries! This is just for testing purposes, still a long way to go, you can tell @circular later. I will add the link as soon as possible.
PS: Done. I added the ForceNotify version just to trigger a message. Please update to the latest trunk.

I've installed bgrabitmap, bgracontrols and bgracontrolsfx with your tool in a few minutes (that's by my slow connection). So it works fine. Then it keeps displaying that there's a new version: for bgracontrols, bgracontrolsfx, cryptini and onlinepackagemanager.

cryptini seems that is not showing forceupdate in the json, but it still shows that there's a new version available (because is different the external version from the repository version), but I don't have it installed, that's ok?

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #447 on: December 06, 2016, 07:06:43 pm »
@ minesadorada
Please take the latest version. I'm afraid it's buggy, but at least you can run a few tests.
Sorry @GetMem - I've been out playing golf this afternoon in the Tenerife sunshine. (par+2 - yay!)  I'll catch up tomorrow as I'm currently celebrating with a very large Scotch :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:24:01 pm by minesadorada »

lainz

« Reply #448 on: December 06, 2016, 08:32:13 pm »
@minesadorada

When you have time change the AutoAdjustLayout lines with this:

Self.AutoAdjustLayout(lapAutoAdjustForDPI, 96, Screen.PixelsPerInch, Self.Width, ScaleX(Self.Width, 96), False);

That will work only under Lazarus 1.7+, because the ammount of parameters and some more things about High DPI has changed recently.

Edit: Or we can remove that and use the Scaled property, but it has (currently) a disadvantage: you must compile it with a setting of 96 dpi to work well.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:39:37 pm by lainz »

balazsszekely

« Reply #449 on: December 06, 2016, 10:14:12 pm »
@lainz
Yes. This is how it should work. If you install cryptini for example the alert message will disappear, since ForceNotify is false.

@minesadorada
Enjoy your time.  :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018