Recent

Author Topic: Online Package Manager  (Read 836232 times)

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
Re: Online Package Manager
« Reply #315 on: November 24, 2016, 12:51:51 pm »
With GitHub we don't need any extra tools because it generates master.zip files automatically. That's why you wanted to move everything to GitHub, remember? :)

Yes, but if you say that it will get a repository, I think is best instead of getting the master.zip, is less time downloading in each update.

Edit: for those with bad internet connections like me will be a lot of help.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:54:53 pm by lainz »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #316 on: November 24, 2016, 01:02:20 pm »
Yes, but if you say that it will get a repository, I think is best instead of getting the master.zip, is less time downloading in each update.
Ok yes, true.
Actually SourceForge supports Git and GitHub supports SVN. The differences are exaggerated.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #317 on: November 24, 2016, 01:07:42 pm »
Nice, so just GetMem need to pick one and will work in both places.

balazsszekely

« Reply #318 on: November 24, 2016, 09:12:26 pm »
@wp
Sorry to overflow you with suggestions. But this one came to my mind when reading your response: What about a checkbox "Delete downloaded zip files after installation/update"? I think the downloaded zip files are not needed any more for anything else, aren't they?
A package lifecycle has five stages: Repository-->Downloaded-->Extracted(Local repository)-->Installed(Up To Date) the fifth one is the Error stage, assigned when one of the steps fails. In the screenshot you can see various packages in different stages.
Let's say a package is downloaded, extracted then the installation fails for some reason(as happened to you with VST). Next time when you press the "Install" button, the OPM will skip the first two steps(download and extract) and will resume the package installation, this way saving time and band with. The archive folder has its purpose, however I would like to make this optional:
Very soon I will add two checkboxes to the option dialog:
   - Force download and extract(if checked will overwrite the above mentioned behaviour, and the package is always re-downloaded/extracted)
   - Delete downloaded zip files after installation/update(only enabled when the previous checkbox is checked). It make sense to delete the old archive/extracted package, because it will be downloaded/extracted again anyways)

PS:  I hope it make sense what I wrote.  :-\
PS1: "Delete downloaded zip files after installation/update" option is always enabled, the user decides the appropriate behaviour
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:31:10 pm by GetMem »

Josh

« Reply #319 on: November 26, 2016, 02:39:35 am »
@getmem
Any chance you could add the download link into your signature; it would make locating this package much easier.
The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #320 on: November 26, 2016, 10:56:32 am »
Any chance you could add the download link into your signature; it would make locating this package much easier.
A download link for the online package manager. Is it necessary? It is now part of Lazarus sources and everybody knows how to get them. (?)
To get it separately:
Code: [Select]
$ svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk/components/onlinepackagemanager OPM
The old repository should be clearly marked as outdated, for example by adding a source line "This is outdated source" that prevents compilation.
Other option is to delete the GitHub version as it only confuses people. Who would need it?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 11:06:25 am by JuhaManninen »

balazsszekely

« Reply #321 on: November 26, 2016, 11:07:21 am »
@josh
The package manager is in Lazarus trunk now.

@Juha
I did synchronized the github version until now, but I will drop the support.

PS: Marked as outdated on github
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 11:16:12 am by GetMem »

Xor-el

« Reply #322 on: November 26, 2016, 12:22:36 pm »
@josh
The package manager is in Lazarus trunk now.

@Juha
I did synchronized the github version until now, but I will drop the support.

PS: Marked as outdated on github

please don't drop the github support.
not everyone uses Lazarus trunk.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #323 on: November 26, 2016, 12:43:33 pm »
please don't drop the github support.
not everyone uses Lazarus trunk.
You don't need to checkout the whole Lazarus trunk as I tried to show earlier.
Having the sources in many places adds extra administrative work and also confusion. It is especially useless here because Lazarus trunk already has many GitHub mirrors.
Uhhh... :(

balazsszekely

« Reply #324 on: November 26, 2016, 02:35:19 pm »
@Xor-el
Ok. I will synchronize the github repository, basically it will be a clone of ($LazarusDir)/components/onlinepackagemanager. 
I added to the readme.txt that the main development has moved to: http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk/components/onlinepackagemanager
See: https://github.com/getmem/LazOpkMan

Xor-el

« Reply #325 on: November 26, 2016, 03:15:49 pm »
@Xor-el
Ok. I will synchronize the github repository, basically it will be a clone of ($LazarusDir)/components/onlinepackagemanager. 
I added to the readme.txt that the main development has moved to: http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk/components/onlinepackagemanager
See: https://github.com/getmem/LazOpkMan

thanks  :D

JanRoza

• http://www.silentwings.nl
« Reply #326 on: November 28, 2016, 10:57:36 am »
Just downloaded the latest trunk version of Online Package Manager but when I try to install the package in Lazarus 1.7 (FPC 3.1.1) I get the following error:

opkman_installer.pas(166,40) Error: identifier idents no member "DoCompilePackage"

Any ideas how to solve this? Is there a minimum trunk version of Lazarus I need?
Thanks!
       Lazarus 3.2 FPC 3.2.2
       CodeTyphon 8.40 FPC 3.3.1

balazsszekely

« Reply #327 on: November 28, 2016, 11:03:41 am »
Hi JanRoza,

You need Lazarus trunk r53263+ or change the following line(opkman_installer.pas(163) from:
{$if (lcl_major > 0) and (lcl_minor > 6)}
to
{$if (lcl_major > 0) and (lcl_minor > 7)}

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #328 on: November 28, 2016, 11:34:08 am »
Just downloaded the latest trunk version of Online Package Manager but when I try to install the package in Lazarus 1.7 (FPC 3.1.1) I get the following error:

opkman_installer.pas(166,40) Error: identifier idents no member "DoCompilePackage"

Any ideas how to solve this? Is there a minimum trunk version of Lazarus I need?
When using trunk the minimum version is the latest trunk.
According to your error message you are doing something stupid now. I think you download OPM from the GitHub mirror and try to install it in an old Lazarus trunk. Am I right?
Hey, OPM is already part of Lazarus trunk!
Still synchronizing the old repository is counter-productive. It only creates confusion (as happened now).
I still think the old repo should be either removed or deprecated.
There are already at least 2 mirrors for the code in GItHub. Explicitly synchronizing a 3rd one makes no sense!
I honestly don't understand why Xor-el suggested it and why GetMem agreed.

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #329 on: November 28, 2016, 11:44:24 am »
Hi JanRoza,

You need Lazarus trunk r53263+ or change the following line(opkman_installer.pas(163) from:
{$if (lcl_major > 0) and (lcl_minor > 6)}
to
{$if (lcl_major > 0) and (lcl_minor > 7)}
So that only becomes TRUE when Lazarus is at V1.8.  How is that testable?
GPL Apps: Health MonitorRetro Ski Run
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

TinyPortal © 2005-2018