Recent

Author Topic: Error 203 (heap overflow) running Lazarus on Arch Linux  (Read 9960 times)

MatiasR

Error 203 (heap overflow) running Lazarus on Arch Linux
« on: September 20, 2016, 11:00:52 pm »
Hello!
I've just installed Lazarus in my Arch Linux system, and when I attepmpt to run it I get this error message:

Code: [Select]
Runtime error 203 at $000000000043812C
  $000000000043812C
  $000000000041F9BD

My system is up to date, fpc works fine (I can use it from the command line), I've tried reinstalling and rebooting with no luck and I've tried with both lazarus-qt and lazarus-gtk2.
I don't know what to do!
Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Error 203 (heap overflow) running Lazarus on Arch Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:54:41 am »
Where do you get it from? Does it work if you build Lazarus from source?

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:57:20 am »
Erase configuration files and start over. This comes mostly from old/corrupt configuration files

MatiasR

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 02:25:33 am »
Where do you get it from? Does it work if you build Lazarus from source?

I got the package from the official repositories, and the error came from the command line after I tried to launch Lazarus from there (sorry if I missunderstood the question). I don't have experience  building big programs from source, but I'm starting to think I'll have to learn and do it because it's seems to be the only option

Erase configuration files and start over. This comes mostly from old/corrupt configuration files
The config files located in the ./lazarus folder? I have deleted them and started over with no luck. Is there any other config file I should remove?

Update: Yesterday, out of the blue, Lazarus ran. Just one time, and appeared an error message saying it couldn't find the path to the fpc compiler (I don't see why this happens, everything is properly installed). After that I couldn't make it run again (and I didn't find where Lazarus saves the compiler path in order to modify it). To be honest, I don't know if the 203 runtime error and this are related, but I thought it'd be useful to give all the info I had.

Thank you both for answering! It feels good to find people willing to help!

Phil

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 02:46:37 am »
I got the package from the official repositories, and the error came from the command line after I tried to launch Lazarus from there.

By "official", I assume you mean from here, right?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/

What files did you download and how did you install them?

How did you start lazarus from the command line?

Update: Yesterday, out of the blue, Lazarus ran. Just one time, and appeared an error message saying it couldn't find the path to the fpc compiler

I wonder if that was following your deletion of ./lazarus/environmentoptions.xml. I believe that's where the path is stored. And maybe you just got an error message that came before the usual heap error.

Lazarus doesn't use that much RAM, so to get a heap error seems very odd.

I don't know anything about Arch Linux, but sometimes Lazarus just hangs when I start it on Ubuntu. I don't use Ubuntu for anything but testing, but it sometimes makes me wonder about how reliable Lazarus is on Linux. I never see that kind of thing on Mac or Windows.

MatiasR

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 03:07:46 am »
By "official", I assume you mean from here, right?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/

What files did you download and how did you install them?

How did you start lazarus from the command line?

1) No, sorry if I wasn't clear. I installed them from the official Arch Linux repositories. And by normal install I meant:

sudo pamcan -S lazarus lazarus-gtk2

2) Which installed the following packages: fpc-3.0.0-1  fpc-src-3.0.0-1  lazarus-1.6.0-2  lazarus-gtk2-1.6.0-2

3) I just typed 'lazarus' in the prompt (I also tried with 'startlazars', both attempts gave me the same outcome).

I wonder if that was following your deletion of ./lazarus/environmentoptions.xml. I believe that's where the path is stored. And maybe you just got an error message that came before the usual heap error.
That's likely, but what calls my attention is that the program managed to at least show something that single time (after I closed it and tried again without modifying anything the 203 error came back)

1st Edit:
Source of the mentioned packages:
fpc-3.0.0-1  https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/fpc/
fpc-src-3.0.0-1  https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/fpc-src/
lazarus-1.6.0-2  https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/lazarus/
lazarus-gtk2-1.6.0-2  https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/lazarus-gtk2/

2nd Edit:
The command startlazarus gave me this different error message:

Runtime error 216 at $00000000004916DB
  $00000000004916DB
  $000000000041E13D

Which is a general protection fault (after running startlazarus again I got 203 instead of 216).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:26:31 am by MatiasR »

Phil

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 03:19:17 am »
2) Which installed the following packages: fpc-3.0.0-1  fpc-src-3.0.0-1  lazarus-1.6.0-2  lazarus-gtk2-1.6.0-2

That looks okay.

3) I just typed 'lazarus' in the prompt (I also tried with 'startlazars', both attempts gave me the same outcome).

I assume lazarus is on your path, or did you change to the lazarus installation directory?

Does lazbuild work? It's just a console app, basically Lazarus without a UI. It should just ouput to the console its usage syntax.

What Leledumbo was suggesting is to build Laz from source, something like this:

cd lazarus
make clean all

MatiasR

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 03:36:50 am »
I assume lazarus is on your path, or did you change to the lazarus installation directory?

Does lazbuild work? It's just a console app, basically Lazarus without a UI. It should just ouput to the console its usage syntax.

What Leledumbo was suggesting is to build Laz from source, something like this:

cd lazarus
make clean all

No, I didn't change the Lazarus installation directory. The packet manager installed it and handled all things related to /bin and /sbin folders.
Yes, lazbuild works.

PS: I don't have the .lazarus folder anymore, should I get a new one from somewhere? (if so, where can I download it from?). Thanks in advance.

Phil

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 03:47:18 am »
Laz should create a new .lazarus directory automatically, usually after an error message or two (just tested on my Mac). Since you don't have any extra packages installed yet, you won't get error messages about those.

Maybe try changing to the lazarus installation directory (wherever that is) and try starting it like this:

./lazarus

Probably won't make any difference.

That's where you would rebuild Laz, by the way. If it's not a writable location, Laz will rebuild the binary in the ~/.lazarus/bin directory.

MatiasR

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 03:54:27 am »
That's where you would rebuild Laz, by the way. If it's not a writable location, Laz will rebuild the binary in the ~/.lazarus/bin directory.

I just tried, but I got the following error:

Free Pascal Compiler version 3.0.0 [2015/11/26] for x86_64
Copyright (c) 1993-2015 by Florian Klaempfl and others
(1002) Target OS: Linux for x86-64
(3104) Compiling fcllaz.pas
(3104) Compiling registerfcl.pas
(3104) Compiling lazaruspackageintf.pas
/home/mati/builds/lazarus/packager/registration/registerfcl.pas(45,22) Fatal: (10022) Can't find unit process used by RegisterFCL
Fatal: (1018) Compilation aborted
make[1]: *** [Makefile:2702: fcllaz.ppu] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/mati/builds/lazarus/packager/registration'
make: *** [Makefile:3050: registration] Error 2

Phil

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 04:04:51 am »
/home/mati/builds/lazarus/packager/registration/registerfcl.pas(45,22) Fatal: (10022) Can't find unit process used by RegisterFCL

process is an FPC unit.

Sounds like FPC isn't installed properly.

Search for process.ppu / process.o to see if you have them. On my Mac they are in:

/usr/local/lib/fpc/3.0.0/units/x86_64-darwin/fcl-process

Who actually creates the installation pacakges for Arch Linux? You might check with them and see if anyone actually tested FPC and Laz on Arch Linux.

MatiasR

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 04:18:18 am »
Search for process.ppu / process.o to see if you have them.

Who actually creates the installation pacakges for Arch Linux? You might check with them and see if anyone actually tested FPC and Laz on Arch Linux.
The installation packages for arch are created by someone called Sergej Pupykin, I'll try to contact him.
I could find process.ppu and process.o in:

/usr/lib/fpc/3.0.0/units/x86_64-linux/fcl-process/

I have three friends who have succesfully ran Lazarus on Arch Linux (they all installed it with pacman -S).

Phil

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 04:32:24 am »
I have three friends who have succesfully ran Lazarus on Arch Linux (they all installed it with pacman -S).

Yes, it should be completely painless.

What about just reinstalling everything again?

MatiasR

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 04:37:11 am »
What about just reinstalling everything again?

I have already tried several times, this is getting a little frustrating. (reinstalling Lazarus and FPC, not the whole OS)

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 08:38:56 am »
Do you have /etc/fpc.cfg or ~/.fpc.cfg? You should have that correctly configured to build Lazarus from source.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018