Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus, mac and firebird client  (Read 5311 times)

xinyiman

• Lazarus and Free Pascal italian community
Lazarus, mac and firebird client
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:40:26 am »
Hello guys, I have a linux servers with installed firebird. And my application that works properly on linux, windows and even on mac if I install a version of the server on the same machine. But wanting to make that the mac is just a client how should I do?

I firebird.app downloaded from this link: http://paulbeachsblog.blogspot.it/2012/09/firebird-embedded-on-macosx.html

I put the content in the directory as the executable, but it keeps telling me that there is libfbclient.dylib

How do you solve? Thank you

Win10, Ubuntu and Mac
Lazarus: 2.1.0
FPC: 3.3.1

xinyiman

Re: Lazarus, mac and firebird client
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 10:58:04 am »
I think I understand the problem. It seems to be a PowerPC version, which is no longer supported by my ElCapitan. Does anyone have a working version for ElCapitan? Thank you
Win10, Ubuntu and Mac

rvk

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 12:27:06 pm »
And my application that works properly on linux, windows and even on mac if I install a version of the server on the same machine.
How did you install a mac version of the Firebird server on a PowerPC mac ??

The last supported Firebird version on PPC is 1.5 (I think).
You can still use that to install the server in which case the library can also be used to access a remote server.
(You wouldn't have access to newer functions of 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 though)

xinyiman

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:32:02 pm »
Basically I downloaded the link result: http://www.ibphoenix.com/downloads/firebirdApp.zip

Then I tried to make us double click on it and my system said it was for PowerPC and therefore no longer supported!
Win10, Ubuntu and Mac

rvk

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:35:42 pm »
Why are you following instructions to install an Embedded Firebird version?
(and very old instructions at that and you can't even access remote servers with that)

Are you using an Intel MacOS version or a PowerPC one ?

If you have an Intel Mac you can just install the server version (2.5 or 3.0) and use the library in it to access a remote Firebird server on another machine (isn't that what you wanted?).

xinyiman

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:01:52 pm »
It's what I wanted. But I do not want to install all the servers. How should I do?
Win10, Ubuntu and Mac

balazsszekely

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 01:16:36 pm »
@xinyiman
As rvk said in his previous post, you have to create an Embedded version of Firebird. It's simple on windows, relatively easy under linux, hard as hell under OSX. I did try once, but I failed miserably. That was a long time ago(more then 4 years), things has changed a lot since, so you should give it a try.

xinyiman

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 02:03:16 pm »
@xinyiman
As rvk said in his previous post, you have to create an Embedded version of Firebird. It's simple on windows, relatively easy under linux, hard as hell under OSX. I did try once, but I failed miserably. That was a long time ago(more then 4 years), things has changed a lot since, so you should give it a try.

So do you think the best solution is to install a server for each location? And then simply use the libraries to connect to the remote server?
Win10, Ubuntu and Mac

balazsszekely

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 02:08:04 pm »
@xinyiman
So do you think the best solution is to install a server for each location? And then simply use the libraries to connect to the remote server?
The easiest solution under OSX is to install the server.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018