Recent

Author Topic: Reading Platform & Version  (Read 9661 times)

J-G

Re: Reading Platform & Version
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 11:01:32 am »
@ GetMem
Thanks for that link to stackoverflow.com  -  lots of food for thought there.

Thanks again Molly, that has certainly given me further clues to the principle involved. One of my problems is that although I haven't programmed since 2009, I actually sorted all the basics out way back in 1980-82 and once units were built to provide this sort of information they were simply re-used without the need to re-appraise the methods so the memory dulls.

Of course that was also under Turbo Pascal and DOS so the concept of Object Programming and the Windows environment are new. Add to that the fact that I always want to run before I can walk and you have the makings of a train-crash!

Although my initial need is to write a program which will plot an ellipse and show how the Earth 'wobbles' due to the position of the Moon along its orbit, I think my next project will be to simply read the system information - inc. memory, discs etc..

This morning I've discovered that my test for screen width etc. only gives me the info for the 'main display' so I need also to find out if there are two (3 ? more? ) screens in use and what their display properties are !!!

At least I've now fathomed out how to return a message to the user.

I'm sure I'll be back with more 'silly' questions though. :D

FPC 3.0.0 - Lazarus 1.6 &
FPC 3.2.2  - Lazarus 2.2.0 
Win 7 Ult 64

molly

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 02:08:39 pm »
This morning I've discovered that my test for screen width etc. only gives me the info for the 'main display' so I need also to find out if there are two (3 ? more? ) screens in use and what their display properties are !!!
Perhaps you can use TScreen class for that purpose ? It can be accessed using the screen variable. In there is a (array) property named monitors.

Better to start a new topic on that in case you require help with that.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:49:19 pm by molly »

J-G

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 03:34:53 pm »
Yes, Molly, much better to keep the discussion focused on the thread title as it makes future searching on a subject easier.

It won't be today (there's a lot to research from the links you've provided!) but I'm sure I won't be long !
FPC 3.0.0 - Lazarus 1.6 &
FPC 3.2.2  - Lazarus 2.2.0 
Win 7 Ult 64

TinyPortal © 2005-2018